No announcement yet.

Calling All Sparkies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it was me, I'd buy this and do it myself. It looks like the way the regs are going you will need a certificate saying it's safe to sell the house, so you're not going to kill anyone other than yourself.

The answer on the regs is that because it's outdoors, yes, you have to tell building control before you start the work. 'Normal' areas (i.e. not wet) need to be checked a 'competent' electrician and certified but not notified. Bathrooms, kitchens, outdoors etc you actually do need building control to approve.

The whole world has officially gone mad.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      My garage is a Hazard zone for sure!!

So you do live in Hazzard County then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's always a Payback .... You just can't see it Comin !!!!
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

I`m in my second year of 2330c+g electrical engineering, as for getting sombody to test-its not allowed you are not allowed to ceritify someone elses work.

The reason part was brought in is a mp`s daughter was killed when drilling into a wall and there was a wire there,not sure if it was a correct zone or not.

If you wire something up incorrectly and later somebody dies because of it thats manslaughter,the main reason it will be hard to ring a sparks and get him to test and cert your work.

The correct way to diy is contact building control(v friendly and dont bite)
        they will tell you what you can and cannot do,if you go ahead you will have to notify them and they will inspect and test it(at a charge).

Comment

and how do they know it was done after the regs came in???

<elec/mech eng>
          TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlee31
            and how do they know it was done after the regs came in???
            At the end of the day, they'd have a hard time proving when and by whom it was done full stop. Even if it wasn't done completely to reg, I've seen enough sparkies do dangerous f*cked up wiring that even that means bugger all.

I'd say do it yourself. Provided you use common sense and do it safely, I'd sod what the arsewipe beaurocrats say you have to do.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
              At the end of the day, they'd have a hard time proving when and by whom it was done full stop. Even if it wasn't done completely to reg, I've seen enough sparkies do dangerous f*cked up wiring that even that means bugger all.

I'd say do it yourself. Provided you use common sense and do it safely, I'd sod what the arsewipe beaurocrats say you have to do.

exactly right
              TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

If you're competent doing it, do it yourself. There's too much red tape being tied up round this whole country already and the only way it's gonna stop is if everyone starts going $$$$$$$$ to it, and continuing to do things the way they always have done.

If you're competent doing your own electrics, then why should you pay someone else to do them? Or pay some govt company to come out and check them, it's just another stealth tax.
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

Working...
                X