Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling All Sparkies

Hi All,

Are there any Sparkies out there that could offer me some advise?

I want to wire up a security light on the back of my house, and wanted to know whether I will need to use trunking, or can I just use 2.5mm Twin & CPC cable? Does any outside work have to be certified by a Part P registered sparkie, or is that just bathrooms and kitchens?

What would a Spark usually charge for a job like this? I would use about 2m of cable, drill through the garage wall and connect up to the garage lighting cable with a junction box.

What would you reckon a Spark would charge for this incl. materials?

Cheers all.

PS. Looking forward to the SNOW tomorrow?! I’ve already been roped in to driving 3 people into work. Funny how we get looked down on for driving a 4x4 all year, but as soon as there is the possibility of people not getting into work because of snow, we are the gaffer’s best friend!!
    Just Vegging Out

If I remember correctly a garage is also considered a hazard zone, and requires P reg sparky. Your garden definately is a hazard zone requiring P reg sparky. As far as trunking goes it depends on where the cables gonna run (is it at risk of being stuck, sliced, or pinched) and what type of look your after.

I think this is correct, but I only got to first fit 15th edition before the hands stopped that career, so my info is from what I've read and heard, not from the trade. There bound to be some better qualified coming along latter.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Couldn't advise you on the cost as I have never done any domestic contracting, but any outside work definately does come under part Pxxs and by rights should be tested and certified.
      As for the cable protection if you can drill the wall and mount the light over the hole then you should not have any cable showing. Inside the garage you don't really need to protect it if it is securely fixed and out of harms way.
      If you can use some old black and red t&e then who's to know when it was installed.
      Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick
        If I remember correctly a garage is also considered a hazard zone, and requires P reg sparky. Your garden definately is a hazard zone requiring P reg sparky. As far as trunking goes it depends on where the cables gonna run (is it at risk of being stuck, sliced, or pinched) and what type of look your after.

I think this is correct, but I only got to first fit 15th edition before the hands stopped that career, so my info is from what I've read and heard, not from the trade. There bound to be some better qualified coming along latter.

SNAP!!!
        Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paulh
          If you can use some old black and red t&e then who's to know when it was installed.
          My thoughts exactly.

Just run a feed from the garage and pretend it was always like that
          Last edited by Sancho; 7 February 2007, 15:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
            My thoughts exactly.

Just run a feed from the garage and pretend it was always like that
            I would never do a thing like that...........

Comment

me either, and I certainly wouldn't have just wired up on of my sheds, either.
              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

I thought that any modifications to domestic wiring now needed a P cert electrician - at least to inspect if not to do the actual work. That's why I have stopped doing any electrical work on my house and also why I have my fingers crossed behind my back.
                Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick
                  If I remember correctly a garage is also considered a hazard zone,
                  My garage is a Hazard zone for sure!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

just another of his tonynesses stupid laws that he cannot possibly hope to inforce. twin and earth, straight to the box and run it up the wall. stuff the overpaid sparkies
                    TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlee31
                      just another of his tonynesses stupid laws that he cannot possibly hope to inforce. twin and earth, straight to the box and run it up the wall. stuff the overpaid sparkies
                      He doesn't need to enforce it, it will just stop you selling your house, until a P reg sparky has carried out a full system test (I'd put money on it).

If I've got it correct you are aloud to modify or repair an excisting circuit as long as it is not in a hazard zone. Hazard zones are any where there is water (kitchen, bathroom, garden) or outside structures (sheds, garages). Anything more requires a P reg sparky.
                      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

hows he, or anybody going to know?
                        TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlee31
                          hows he, or anybody going to know?
                          They've changed the colour of the wires to bring us in line with Europe. I can't do much more to my house now as I've run out of the old red/black/copper. But i got pretty much everything done before the law changed.
                          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

they arnt going to come round and start ripping your wires out to have a look. at the end of the day just do it your self and get a sparky to test the lot if you decide to sell and just tell them you lost the original recipt. not one of the laws i'll be worrying about at all.
                            TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

the new colour(harmonised) cable came out before the regs....so who is to say The most important thing is if you have both cable types then a warning notice must be on or near your fuse box. I believe you can print them off the IEE web site if not I bet someone on here knows the official wording
                              Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                              Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X