New Surf, what's this about heads??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AuldNick
    My 92 cracked with no reason, idling at traffic lights with the temp gauge reading normal.

The 2.4 was/is BAD and more 3's are failing too but the problem lies with Toyota, go look @ any Toyota forum heads = sh!te.

I see you're still being Mr Grumpy over ones head going then.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
      People seem to think of the 2.4 being fragile, but now the 3.0 is getting a bit older, it's weakness is being shown. Unfortunately.

I've been saying it for ages, even against stiff resistance, and I say it still. The 3.0L has the same problem. It just hasn't shown to the same level yet. And it is actually a problem with all the Surf/Prado heads, not just the 2.4's. Apparently, as I did have this disagreement a while ago on the OZ forum, Toyota have all but admitted of late that it was a generic design problem across the board. Never got pointed to any specific info, though, so it could be complete bollox.

And to the ones who say why get a 2.4 when you can get a 3.0, simple. Some people really don't give a toss about an extra 10 m.p.h upon the motorway. Some people aren't going to be trying to tow the heaviest weight they can upon the back of the vehicle at every opportunity possible. Some people really don't give a toss whether they are telling people they have a 2.4 instead of a 3.0L engine. Some people don't care about having the back end whip out on them at a roundabout if they put their foot down. Ironically, my mere baby engine achieves that last one anyhow.

Right, now getting back to it, nice truck mate, sod the 3.0L scaremongers and welcome to the club. With regards to your engine, completely service the beast before you put her to full use, and be demonic with your initial cooling system flush. Flush the cooling system every which way from Sunday, replace any aged or perishing coolant hoses, (or all of them if you're feeling masochistic, it's well worth it), and replace the rad cap and thermostat. Use deionised or distilled water and green antifreeze if possible. Simple reason for the green being, it has less detrimental components than the blue, and it can co-exist, unlike the red.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
        I've been saying it for ages, even against stiff resistance, and I say it still. The 3.0L has the same problem. It just hasn't shown to the same level yet. And it is actually a problem with all the Surf/Prado heads, not just the 2.4's.
        Well said..
        It just does, OK?

Comment

Who says 2.4 back ends dont come around to say hello to the front or is it just maroon ones that do that?
          If at first etc? Find a BIGGER HAMMER!

Comment

Originally posted by woz
            Who says 2.4 back ends dont come around to say hello to the front or is it just maroon ones that do that?
            The 3.0L chaps like to think we have no poke.

Comment

The 3.0L chaps like to think we have no poke.
              Size matters

Great bumper on that truck. I want it!
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                Size matters
                But it's how you use it that counts.

Comment

Size isnt everything....It is what you can do with it thats important. Anyway maroon ones are best so there!

Comment

If it's big, you dont need to work as hard.
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                      If it's big, you dont need to work as hard.
                      Quantity and quality are two very different things.

Comment

You just got to know how and when to press whatever button thingy miay be appropriate for the insuing stuation or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
                          YES !!buy a decent 3.0td for that , economy same roughly , insurance nothing in it, bigger engine easier pulling big trailer
                          Or you could just "tweak" the fuel pump 5 turns and leave the 3ltr drivers standing...

(why do I always put my foot in it) he he
                          -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

Or you could get a 6 with fcuked rear suspension then drive it round a roundabout in the wet. You get to see the back and both sides then.

And yeah, I reckon the 3.0s are as bad as the 2.4s for head destruction it's just that the 2.4s are generally older so it's only beginning to emerge on the 3.0s now.

Comment

Too Bloudi troo I'm grumpy..

When I bougt this car less than a year ago it looked mint,everything worked and it drove like a new one. I do a few miles per week nowt OTT and I off road 2-3 times a month again nothing serious. BUT this truck loves the workshop with a list of broke stuff worthy of a fekin Taliban Trabant!

I'm gonni fix the head, this is it's last chance (mutter grumble)

Comment

AND.......The evil git broke down in the middle of the shooting season, how cruel is that, anybody know a good priest, last rights, exorcism or both

Comment

Working...
                                X