Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Surf, what's this about heads??

Hi to all.
    I'm about to buy my first surf, straight of the boat, a '93 2.4 ssrg, with 60000miles on the clock. I've been hearing alot about these heads cracking, and am a bit worried. Is this a problem with all of them or just some?? Also, is there anything else I should do with such a recent import??

I would really appreciate any advice/warnings, that any of you could put my way.

Cheers.

i wouldnt worry to much as yours is the later 2.4 its fitted with the modified head,earlier 2.4 had a tendancy to crack the heads.keep a check on the cooling system and it should give you no problems .use the search button and type in cooling system.that should answer a lot of your questions. oh and welcome to the surf emporium of pleasure.
    Last edited by surfenstein; 30 January 2007, 21:07.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

I really don't know why anyone would buy a 2.4 these days when the 3L versions are so cheap ?
      Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

Originally posted by bensonsnuts
        I really don't know why anyone would buy a 2.4 these days when the 3L versions are so cheap ?
        Cos the 2.4s are even cheaper?
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
          And just as much fun....
          It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
            They're cheaper for a reason

Anyway if he's buying from an importer there is no there a fair chance he's spending enough to get a 3L already over here ?
            Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

I'm buying from a friend who imports jap sports cars. He originally bought it for himself but has since changed his mind. I'm getting a pretty good deal, £2800. The insurance is cheaper than a 3lt and it's more economical, but still good for towing a big trailer. Am i wrong??

Comment

Originally posted by Mental_ben666
                I'm buying from a friend who imports jap sports cars. He originally bought it for himself but has since changed his mind. I'm getting a pretty good deal, £2800. The insurance is cheaper than a 3lt and it's more economical, but still good for towing a big trailer. Am i wrong??
                YES !!buy a decent 3.0td for that , economy same roughly , insurance nothing in it, bigger engine easier pulling big trailer
                Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Mine is a late 2.4 and I find that it has plenty of power. Personally I think that the actual engine i.e.condition has a lot to do with it. I drove a 3-0 4 Runner before I bought mine and it was very poor on performance and it was manual. Prior to my surfing days I used to own a XJS HE 5-3 V12 which I thought was blistering until I bought a 3-0 V6 Nissan Maxima. Just goes to show that it is not always the cc especially when you are only talking 500cc between the 2-4 and 3-0.

My advice, go for spec,condition and what looks and feels right to you. I'm keeping my 2-4 but if anything happened to it I would be just as happy with another and not go all out to buy the 3-0.

Happy motoring.

Comment

A picture

I hope this works!

Comment

I hope this works!
                      what the truck ?? heehee looks good ,got a few bits i would put on mine :devilish

wheels , bumper , roofrack for starters
                      Last edited by joker??; 31 January 2007, 00:16.
                      Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

My 92 cracked with no reason, idling at traffic lights with the temp gauge reading normal.

The 2.4 was/is BAD and more 3's are failing too but the problem lies with Toyota, go look @ any Toyota forum heads = sh!te.

Comment

Originally posted by AuldNick
                          The 2.4 was/is BAD and more 3's are failing too but the problem lies with Toyota, go look @ any Toyota forum heads = sh!te.
                          That's a good point.

People seem to think of the 2.4 being fragile, but now the 3.0 is getting a bit older, it's weakness is being shown. Unfortunately.
                          It just does, OK?

Comment

I hope this works!
                            how cool is that roof rack!
                            The benchmark....

Comment

Originally posted by huff_diggler
                              how cool is that roof rack!
                              pretty damn cool, if you ask me...
                              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment