4wd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4wd

I have read so many threads on what speed you can use 4WD, some say 50kph (30mph) and others say as fast as you can. One in particular was related to driving on the motorway to stop his/her surf from pulling into ruts left behind by lorries. Fortunately mine doesn't suffer from this but it would be nice to know how fast you can drive in 4WD before actually melting the diff gears. i know you shouldnt change into 4 above 30mph, but should you drive it below 30mph in 4WD?
    http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

The actual speed is no worries, its the speed you select 4wd. High range is the same as 2wd, when its in low range you won't be able to physically DO 40mph, it'll be on the RPM red line.

Anyway, the only reason to put a 2nd gen in 4wd on the road is if its snowing or very slushy, and you won't be going that fast then anyway.

Originally posted by Antshiel
    I have read so many threads on what speed you can use 4WD, some say 50kph (30mph) and others say as fast as you can. One in particular was related to driving on the motorway to stop his/her surf from pulling into ruts left behind by lorries. Fortunately mine doesn't suffer from this but it would be nice to know how fast you can drive in 4WD before actually melting the diff gears. i know you shouldnt change into 4 above 30mph, but should you drive it below 30mph in 4WD?
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I know but you dont get a mountain bike with 21 gears and leave it in 1 do you. Its always nice to know i can show off in 4wd without making myself look like a turd when everything melts

Edit: ps the only reason i ask is because we have had really heavy rain here past 2 days and i nearly lost it on a roundabout, hence the turd bit

Comment

I know but you dont get a mountain bike with 21 gears and leave it in 1 do you. Its always nice to know i can show off in 4wd without making myself look like a turd when everything melts
        when we had the snow last year i pressed the 4wd button doing 40mph with no probs.just make sur you dont drive in 4wd on the road unless it is icy or loose ground
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Do not under any circumstances use 4WD on dry tarmac (except in a dead straight line) as you will likely screw up the gearbox/driveshafts and suffer transmission wind-up if you turn corners. A 2nd Gen does not have a centre diff, so 4WD should only be used off-road or on slipperly tarmac/ice & snow.
          Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
            Do not under any circumstances use 4WD on dry tarmac (except in a dead straight line) as you will likely screw up the gearbox/driveshafts and suffer transmission wind-up if you turn corners. A 2nd Gen does not have a centre diff, so 4WD should only be used off-road or on slipperly tarmac/ice & snow.
            So a roundabout on a wet/slippy road is out of the question then,, Bugga .

Comment

well you could if you want too but you would have to face the consequences if anything happens.....
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

mine beeps and the 4x4 light flashes when i try to select 4x4h while going to fast is that because its a manual? or do i have a dodgy flashing beeping surf

Comment

Well. I used 4x4 on the road today between Avimore & Grantown. But then, it was absolutly tipping it down & there was huge quantities of water standing or running over the road. It was like driving through a 10 mile ford!

Comment

that'll be why you nearly lost it - wheels fighting each other. probably just about slippy enough to get away with it.

Comment

Edit: ps the only reason i ask is because we have had really heavy rain here past 2 days and i nearly lost it on a roundabout, hence the turd bit
                      Even wet, slippery tarmac is no place for 4WD. Because the front wheels follow a different path to the rears, they turn through a different number of rotations. The transmission does NOT allow for this in 4WD (permanent 4x4s have a dfferent system) so the slip has to be taken up by the tyres - i.e. you must be in a situation that allows wheelslip fairly easily (no big boots on the throttle) for 4WD to work without damaging something.

Anyway, oversteer's fun

Comment

Finally a good reason to own a 3rd Gen . I Guess a centre diff pays dividends. As long as you can take the heat as far as hairdresser and plastic jokes is concerned!
                        Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                          well you could if you want too but you would have to face the consequences if anything happens.....
                          Not a very nice word, ive faced one or two more than i would have liked to of late and cost a packet. Guess ill just have to wait till the next play day to give it a whirl and slow down at roundabouts

Comment

Originally posted by NFC
                            Even wet, slippery tarmac is no place for 4WD. Because the front wheels follow a different path to the rears, they turn through a different number of rotations. The transmission does NOT allow for this in 4WD (permanent 4x4s have a dfferent system) so the slip has to be taken up by the tyres - i.e. you must be in a situation that allows wheelslip fairly easily (no big boots on the throttle) for 4WD to work without damaging something.

Anyway, oversteer's fun
                            Best get me off to one of those jap drift sessions then

Comment

Working...
                            X