Help please just drove my 1st Surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please just drove my 1st Surf

Hi guys hope you can help me out here. I have just driven my 1st surf. Great feeling lol actually feels a lot smaller to drive than it looks. Anyway the car is a fresh import & going for a good price. Cam belt needs doingt soon but after doing some research on here im sure i can handle it ok

What i did notice though is that the steering seemed very vague. Now i dont know if this is because im used to driving a skyline that was on 18 inch wheels & 35 profile tyres with adjustable suspension etc etc.

Now obviously the surf wont corner like the skyline i know that.

But is this this normal & something that i will get used to??? I'v never driven a car with tyres that look like they belong in a cartoon before lol.

'Very vague' is difficult to quantify..

Could need a new steering idler (about £50, I think..), or new track rod ends (£30), or it might be just the tyres and the difference between the Surf and a Skyline..

Welcome to the forum..
    It just does, OK?

Comment

Mine was 'a bit vague' and was also 'squirmy' under hard acceleration. It was the steering idler - about 70 quid from Roughtrax. Seems to be quite common.

It should feel about as pointable as a transit, but with sh1t loads more grip. As a guide....

Comment

Hi mate thanks for the welcome. Probably should have introuced myself 1st but being a veteran of 11,000 posts (how embarassing) on a skyline forum i have seen many introductions only get 1 or 2 replys lol.

Really hoping it is the tyres. Steering pulled a little to the left but that side had had 2 new tyres fitted. It came over like that apparently & the seller is going to switch wheels about so the new ones are on the rear.

Maybe im just to used to flat cornering.

Perhaps i should go take another 1 out for a spin

Comment

nismo.hehe nice name does that stand for anything.welcome to the surf emporium of pleasure.you dont say what size tyres you have.or if there is any unusual wear pattern on them,a quick check of the steering arms and linkage could be in order.
          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Nismo
            being a veteran of 11,000 posts
            You'll get Vince all territorial...

Well, welcome from me too

Yeah, try another. Mine also used to pull, I still reckon it's the idler.

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
              nismo.hehe nice name does that stand for anything.welcome to the surf emporium of pleasure.you dont say what size tyres you have.or if there is any unusual wear pattern on them,a quick check of the steering arms and linkage could be in order.

Does nismo stand for anything lol. Erm Nissan Motorsport

Think what i'll do is take another out tomorrow & see what its like. Im not sure what the tyres are but they were definately cartoon size.

This is the baby im looking at... maybe somebody will know what size tyres it has on it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...0809&rd=1&rd=1

Just dont go & buy it cos i want it

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
                nismo.hehe nice name does that stand for anything.
                NISsan MOtorsport..
                It just does, OK?

Comment

Welcome Nismo. I'm not far from Ely, wanna try mine?
                  Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                    You'll get Vince all territorial...

Well, welcome from me too

Yeah, try another. Mine also used to pull, I still reckon it's the idler.

Believe me i have no intention of doing the same over here. I have been top poster on the site for nigh on 2 yrs now. I dont know how it happened but it is highly embarassing lol

You guys need some new smileys lol. Where's :doh:

Comment

Think what i'll do is take another out tomorrow & see what its like. Im not sure what the tyres are but they were definately cartoon size.

This is the baby im looking at... maybe somebody will know what size tyres it has on it

they look like standard 31x10.5x15 to me and looky its got one of them RARE electric sunroof thingys.
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Piker
                        Welcome Nismo. I'm not far from Ely, wanna try mine?

That is a very nice offer Mr Esox Does the 3rd gen drive like the 2nd gen???

Comment

they look like 31x10.5x15 or 265/70/15 but there aint much differance in size
                          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

That is a very nice offer Mr Esox Does the 3rd gen drive like the 2nd gen???
                            Impressed you know what Esox is. Please don't open that can of worms, if Sumo is watching it'll be all hairdresser and plastic jokes!!!
                            I think 3rd gens are better. 3.0l tdi really rocks. Comfortable cruising at 90mph (of course I never do!) Trouble is if you drive one you won't want a 2nd gen!!!!
                            Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

i dont think there is a doh!!!! smilie,but vince has got a stupid boy pike piccy,look out for it.
                              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X