Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My usual kit for overseas travel:

Insurance, V5, MOT, Passport, EHIC card
    Bulbs, warning triangle, flourescent vest, first aid kit, wheel change kit, beam benders
    cash, credit cards, maps
    Oil, water, screenwash, emergency tyre inflation/sealant cylinder

My usual kit for snow:

Blanket/duvet/sleeping bag, shovel, chocolate, water
    Tow rope, jump leads
    12V kettle or camping stove + kettle + spare fuel (not legal in some countries).
    * Brightly-coloured tape/ribbon to tie to aerial or some other high point on vehicle *

Basically, if you prep for digging the car out, or spending 24h in a snowdrift, you'll have no problems. You may need to tow or jump someone else's car, especially if you're away from the main roads.
    The ribbon is especially useful if you're where the snow is deep. Wind piles snow against the side of the car so it becomes its own drift. You need to make it easy to be seen.

It sounds like a lot, but it doesn't weigh much, or cost much, and once it's in , it's in.

Comment

A BIG shovel......

....they get proper snow on the Continent.

Comment

Originally posted by NFC

Bulbs, warning triangle, flourescent vest, first aid kit, wheel change kit, beam benders
        cash, credit cards, maps

My usual kit for snow:

Tow rope, jump leads
        12V kettle or camping stove + kettle + spare fuel (not legal in some countries).
        * Brightly-coloured tape/ribbon to tie to aerial or some other high point on vehicle *

Basically, if you prep for digging the car out, or spending 24h in a snowdrift, you'll have no problems. You may need to tow or jump someone else's car, especially if you're away from the main roads.
        The ribbon is especially useful if you're where the snow is deep. Wind piles snow against the side of the car so it becomes its own drift. You need to make it easy to be seen.

It sounds like a lot, but it doesn't weigh much, or cost much, and once it's in , it's in.
        Just to add, CHECK...You may need an IDP (International Driving Permit) was available from the AA. Good luck with ya Expedition M8.....

There's always a Payback.... Just hoping ya don't find any !!!!
        Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by NFC

cash, credit cards, maps

My usual kit for snow:

Tow rope, jump leads

$$$$$$ brilliant thanks for that buddy! will get stocked up on that lot too

thanks too surfer jess and all others for help here

much appreciated
          problems? i'll take 'em.

Comment

i've spent the past 3 winters out in the french alps. you'll not need chains if you've got some decent tyres on. MT's will be fine. Chains are a legal requirement if you've got a car on road tyres. and make sure you practice putting them on here before you go. messing around with chains in the dark and -20 ain't fun. trust me.

saying that. last winter i got about with no chains and summer tyres on my Passat G60. did have 4wd though. good sideways fun round corners.
            Passat G60 Syncro 4WD 200hp FOR SALE .

Comment

Originally posted by G60-R
              you'll not need chains if you've got some decent tyres on. MT's will be fine.
              Didn't think MT's would be much cop on snow? AT's would be better...
              It just does, OK?

Comment

Working...
              X