No announcement yet.

Opinions/suggestions please........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also have two genuine copies of tom tom navigator 3 for PDA's which i would sell if interested and a wired reciever for an o2 xda ii, although i would recommend a newer version of the software, and a newer reciever.

TomTom6 is available on the internet as a download, i believe i've stumbled across route 66 aswell. Anquet and memory map may also be worth a look as they use OS mapping if you want it for offroading. The other way to go if you have a laptop is to go for autoroute or another PC based bit of kit and USB reciever, it's just bulky to have a laptop for the purposes of sat-nav but may well work out cheaper.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
      I've got Route66 software on my phone. Think it's great, and cost me £28 for a memory card, preloaded with the software on good old ebay.
      Another £40 for a bluetooth GPS receiver, and it's a cheap but good Sat Nav for me!!
      That is interesting. If I understand correctly, you could take the GPS receiver with you (in a jacket pocket for example) and use your smart-phone (loaded with Route 66) while walking around the city etc. ????

I’ve been looking to buy a sat-nav for a while. I normally use my Garmin GPS, but it is slow to enter data…. Find post-code of person / company, search “Streetmap”, load Garmin CD, keep switching windows on PC until map location matches, waypoint location on Garmin soft ware and finally download results to my Garmin III+

My Nokia Smart-Phone has a 2Gb memory card installed at the moment so that should work OK.

If I can have a fully portable sat-nav system by just carrying a receiver along with my phone, then this might be the way to go.
      Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by PDR
        That is interesting. If I understand correctly, you could take the GPS receiver with you (in a jacket pocket for example) and use your smart-phone (loaded with Route 66) while walking around the city etc. ????
        That's right..
        It just does, OK?

Comment

if you have got a smart phone already then go with that. I use an Orange SPV M600 (windows) + Navman reciever (from previous Satnav) and IGO software. I have most of Europe on a 2gb card.
          Tim
          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            Which is the best, cheapest, clearest, easiest to use/set-up, upgradeable from the intraweb, in-car sat. nav, and where from.

I thank you.
            Garmin. The original and best. I've had a c-310 for years and it's never let me down, and always got a signal.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
              Know what you're saying, but can't make it...
              Thats not a good enough excuse!
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                Thats not a good enough excuse!
                Other things to do..
                It just does, OK?

Comment

good thread as im thinking of getting father in /out law a sat nav for x mas. which is one of the best for speed cameras and approx how much does the camera monthly update subscription cost does anyone know? cheers
                  DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Comment

remember you gotta use your noggin as well as the GPS... oxford's a terrible place for changing the direction of one way systems etc. i used a TOMTOM there a few months back, and it was useless around the city centre...

it will at best direct you to a road, but can be trouble if you want an exact location
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I could have sworn that I saw a system in Tesco the other day for around £100, but don't quote me on that.

Also, Scan have one on offer at the moment (might have to be very quick though). Just scroll down the page a bit. It's a PDA with built in GPS and software for £222.

I personally use TomTom on either my Dell PDA (with a wired GPS receiver) or on my SPV M600 mobile phone with a bluetooth receiver. Work very well, and I'm very happy with them.
                      Paul </Slugsie>
                      Immortal.so far!

Comment

All good technical advice and suggestions so far, thanks, but they're all over £200!
                        I just want one for occasional use so it's still looks like this one is favorite...

http://www.activegps.co.uk/navman-f20.htm

Comment

All good technical advice and suggestions so far, thanks, but they're all over £200!
                          I just want one for occasional use so it's still looks like this one is favorite...

Haven't you got a laptop Vince? Just get a bit of software off Amazon or something, a cheap GPS receiver and a transformer to run it off your fag lighter. That's what I do. I have an FM transmitter beaming music into my radio and can play DVDs to keep the kids (average age:30) happy in the back. Cost you about £60.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                            Haven't you got a laptop Vince? Just get a bit of software off Amazon or something, a cheap GPS receiver and a transformer to run it off your fag lighter. That's what I do. I have an FM transmitter beaming music into my radio and can play DVDs to keep the kids (average age:30) happy in the back. Cost you about £60.

Ooh!

A laptop would fall off the dash though, wouldn't it?

Comment

Ooh!

A laptop would fall off the dash though, wouldn't it?
                              Here ya go.

I don't think it bellows "turn right, turn left" etc at you although one that does probably exists. I only have this one because it's the only one compatible with my mac (laptop, not dirty coat)

For the laptop, either fabricate a mount that slides on to the glove box lid or use an 'organic shockproof notebook mounting and interactive control system' - the missus - it works a treat.

Comment

Try these.
                                Paul </Slugsie>
                                Immortal.so far!

Comment

Working...
                                X