Old head pics, thoughts please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old head pics, thoughts please

OK, old head is off now, and I've looked it over. First thing, there are no obvious signs of cracks between the valves. Overall, it looks to be in OK condition.

However:

The bolt holes between 2 and 3 are showing obvious signs of rust, and the bolts that came out from there have quite a bit of surface corrosion.

#3 cylinder has a quite deep sort of pit at the top of the bore, above the stroke of the piston

The gasket is slightly disformed between cylinders 1 and 2, although we're not certain that this wasn't caused whilst pulling the head off.

I've attached some pics, although they're not in the best of focus.

Thoughts?
    Attached Files
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

It would be easier to see if the gasket was remove ....there is a good photo of a crack between piston three and four somewhere i see if i can find the link

Sorry found the link but the photos are missing due to problems with the site
    Last edited by Woodzie; 28 July 2006, 21:35.
    www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Seen worse . Had water in No3 for a while I think . Gasket looks like it gave way aswell .
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
        OK, old head is off now, and I've looked it over. First thing, there are no obvious signs of cracks between the valves. Overall, it looks to be in OK condition.

However:

The bolt holes between 2 and 3 are showing obvious signs of rust, and the bolts that came out from there have quite a bit of surface corrosion.

#3 cylinder has a quite deep sort of pit at the top of the bore, above the stroke of the piston

The gasket is slightly disformed between cylinders 1 and 2, although we're not certain that this wasn't caused whilst pulling the head off.

I've attached some pics, although they're not in the best of focus.

Thoughts?
        hi mate hope all the family are well just a nasty thought sorry but i did a 2.4 a few years ago and it had a cracked liner just make sure
        I,LL GO FIRST NO PROB
        (i also juggle dynamite)

Comment

next

quick question or thought but are you machining head faces if so machine shop will tell you if you have cracks or not if there any good
          I,LL GO FIRST NO PROB
          (i also juggle dynamite)

Comment

If you know someone in the trade, then if there as good as the machine i use, they will pressure test it for free if there skimming it
            What comes around goes around!!

Comment

I've bought a new head, so the old one is for s$$$$ping (unless someone wants to take it off my hands). I was just hopeing to see a crack so I'd know for sure that that was the problem.

It does look like there has been some water leakage, but it's hard to tell where from. The gaskets look ok, not great, but ok. There are no major signs of corrosion within the bores that I could tell. The main signs of something not right is the corrosion in the bolt holes between 2 and 3.

Basically, I'll fit the new head, and hopefully all will be well, at least long enough for me to sell it anyway.
              Paul </Slugsie>
              Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                Seen worse . Had water in No3 for a while I think . Gasket looks like it gave way aswell .
                The first time it overheated and dumped all its coolant want September last year. So yes, it's had a drinking problem for a little while.
                Paul </Slugsie>
                Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by stimpy30
                  hi mate hope all the family are well just a nasty thought sorry but i did a 2.4 a few years ago and it had a cracked liner just make sure
                  Me and Amelia are doing fine, hope you and your growing brood are too.

I'll have a more thorough inspection in the morning when there is better light. Any specific tell-tale signs that I should be looking for?
                  Paul </Slugsie>
                  Immortal.so far!

Comment

Working...
                  X