sorry going political

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apache
    However you look at it, the Forces main purpose is defence of the Realm. On signing up, that is your primary duty. It's a kind of calculated risk that you may have to serve in a war (and possibly lay your life on the line), but the benefits are there too re. learning a trade.
    think it depends what part of the country you're from and if you're a career soldier.

some people sign up because they think guns are cool
    some people join to play a part and try and make a difference
    some people have the choice of forces or dole queue
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
      think it depends what part of the country you're from and if you're a career soldier.

some people sign up because they think guns are cool
      some people join to play a part and try and make a difference
      some people have the choice of forces or dole queue
      In a way, I agree with you.

However, if you join the Army (I think you're talking about the army) then you *must* do it in the knowledge that the Army's purpose is defence of the realm, not a free training course. They expect certain things from you when you take the queens shilling, and one of those things is to take up arms and fight if necessary.

I'm extremely proud of our armed forces, and dont have a great deal of time for people who say 'but I didn't think I'd have to go to war!'. Thats what they're there for. It is an excellent career if you're prepared to put in the effort, but the down side is you could end up getting shot at. Thankfully, our boys are amongst the best trained, and best equipped (despite what the knockers say) forces in the world.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Apache
        you have mentioned this now a couple of times about defending our realm, can you tell me what part of our realm they defended in the latest gulf war, knowing that all the bull5hit the public were given for the reasons for the war have now been prooven to be lies
        if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

Originally posted by firefly
          Apache
          you have mentioned this now a couple of times about defending our realm, can you tell me what part of our realm they defended in the latest gulf war, knowing that all the bull5hit the public were given for the reasons for the war have now been prooven to be lies
          I also said that if you dont agree with the way our current govt uses our forces then you have the option of the ballot box. It may not be perfect but I believe it is the best system available.

I myself may not agree with the way our forces are used (and I am not about to voice my opinions here because I am involved in some small way), but I fully support our troops in whatever they find themselves ordered to do.

I still say that the purpose of HM Forces is defence of the realm. You could argue that the political directions the middle east has been taking in the lsat 20 years or more would threaten the west in years to come and intervention was necessary. It is simplistic to assume that the only reason is oil, even if that does figure in the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by firefly
            Apache
            Excuse the mild trolling, but you could argue that 'defence of the realm' includes defending our economic interests too. If you wanted to be a $hit stirrer.

Personally, I am totally anti-war but not anti-armed forces (as in the people and their choice to take that up as a job, if you know what I mean).

Comment

If you join the Forces without considering all the possibilities then you're a fool and deserve all you get ....

Before I signed up in 1976 I asked myself one question - Can I kill somebody just because I've been told to ?

There are very few people that can give a definite answer - I certainly couldn't BUT I believed I could kill if required so I signed - the interesting thing is that I'd find it FAR harder to make that decision now - not because of politics but because I think far more about people.

The bottom line when it comes to our Forces is dead easy - If you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined !

PS

The Middle East is all about oil and the USA selling more arms ....... but you knew that already !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                Excuse the mild trolling, but you could argue that 'defence of the realm' includes defending our economic interests too. If you wanted to be a $hit stirrer.

Personally, I am totally anti-war but not anti-armed forces (as in the people and their choice to take that up as a job, if you know what I mean).
                Sancho, any sane person is anti-war, but as war is a fact of life and until we mature as a species always will be, then I would rather we were in the position to be able to defend our way of life and beliefs (and indeed anyones way of life which doesn't threaten ours).

There is room on this planet for everyone, but there are people out there who will not accept this.

Comment

Sancho, any sane person is anti-war, but as war is a fact of life and until we mature as a species always will be, then I would rather we were in the position to be able to defend our way of life and beliefs (and indeed anyones way of life which doesn't threaten ours).

There is room on this planet for everyone, but there are people out there who will not accept this.
                  Hey, I'm not arguing with that. Just stating my position. When I say anti I just mean I ain't going and I ain't voting for it either.

If someone wants to go and defend me, my country and god knows what else, fair play and good luck to them. And if everyone else votes for it, I'm not going to get in anyone's way.

Can't we just go back to talking about gaskets? I get enough of this talk down the pub.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                    Hey, I'm not arguing with that. Just stating my position. When I say anti I just mean I ain't going and I ain't voting for it either.

If someone wants to go and defend me, my country and god knows what else, fair play and good luck to them. And if everyone else votes for it, I'm not going to get in anyone's way.

Can't we just go back to talking about gaskets? I get enough of this talk down the pub.
                    And if someone threatens your right to freely talk about gaskets?...

Comment

And if someone threatens your right to freely talk about gaskets?...
                      I'll kill the fvcker myself.

Comment

The other day i was speaking to an ex army man who happens to be very close to me. He has seen his best mate shot dead in ireland and has encountered the falklends and the first gulf war.
                        I told him how my mate was thinking of leaving, He did not blame him due to the increase of car bombs ect?But also added that he would have enjoyed it more as it would have been more exciting!!
                        This man served his time in the army and i certanly would not cross him.

You dont join the forces to get an easy life, you join to protect, and if it comes down to killing sadistic scum then give me a gun. War is a way life, get used to it. The only people who winge about it are the veggies and the weak!!!!

I class myself as the weak as i dropped out of the RAF at the last minute, but i have a mint family to show for it!

I think about my best mate all the time and i hope he sticks with it, they are a force to be reckoned with!!!
                        What comes around goes around!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gazbo
                          I told him how my mate was thinking of leaving, He did not blame him due to the increase of car bombs ect?But also added that he would have enjoyed it more as it would have been more exciting!!
                          This man served his time in the army and i certanly would not cross him.

You dont join the forces to get an easy life, you join to protect, and if it comes down to killing sadistic scum then give me a gun. War is a way life, get used to it. The only people who winge about it are the veggies and the weak!!!!
                          I, personally, am calling it a day on this thread.

Comment

Working...
                          X