No announcement yet.

sorry going political

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as long as both side think the best way to deal with a wasps nest is beat it with a stick, there will be no peace in the middle east.
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Gazbo
      But our forces are set up in some great posts around the world that in theory, no enemy should get near our countries!!!

It takes teachers to teach and forces to enforce it! For queen for country!!
      as a qusetion with now intent how many people do you persoanly know who hath either been shot injured or killed or family members killed in defence of a piece of land in an unknown area where the natives dont speak engilsh . nearly all the ones i know or knew where supposed to be in defnece of the realm or country. p.s if u have kids or perhaps will does that mean that you would be happy for them to take a bullet in the head if they join the forces??????? i know i owuldent be
      I,LL GO FIRST NO PROB
      (i also juggle dynamite)

Comment

Originally posted by stimpy30
        how many people do you persoanly know who hath either been shot injured or killed or family members killed in defence of a piece of land in an unknown area where the natives dont speak engilsh
        The fighting has been going on in Iraq over the oil since the First World when over 60,000 British and even more Indian troops died in appalling conditions fighting the Turkish empire for control of the oil fields in Southern Iraq. My great grandfather being one of the casualties:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/certifica...asualty=865161

In the later part of WW1 many soldiers were conscripts and not volunteers or career soldiers. I guess they didn't want to be there either but they had no choice. That is a distinct difference.

Comment

most of my family have joined the armed forces to learn a trade... not to get killed!

there are only so many jobs to go round at the Nissan factory!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Very quick word.

Does war mean WE ARE RIGHT. If two football teams can't play for 90 mins without dirty goeings on on the field,then how can two countries fight fairly.
            THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A NICE WAR
            and there has never been a war where innocent civilians have not been killed.
            Most wars degenerate into both sides commiting atrocities even the side you favour.
            Peace and love to all.

The oldest hippy in the world,
            Philip
            Still Searching,
            Dick Whittington

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
              most of my family have joined the armed forces to learn a trade... not to get killed!

there are only so many jobs to go round at the Nissan factory!
              However you look at it, the Forces main purpose is defence of the Realm. On signing up, that is your primary duty. It's a kind of calculated risk that you may have to serve in a war (and possibly lay your life on the line), but the benefits are there too re. learning a trade.
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                However you look at it, the Forces main purpose is defence of the Realm. On signing up, that is your primary duty. It's a kind of calculated risk that you may have to serve in a war (and possibly lay your life on the line), but the benefits are there too re. learning a trade.

That is spot on. Its part of the job a risk you have to be prepared for when you sign on the dotted line. I have been in 3 conflicts, shot people and been shot at. My family accepted the fact that I might get killed. Thats where the British army training is the best in the world, we have fewer casualties. The middle east has been going on for 3000 years or more. Its one of those situations where there will be no winner.
                SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

I will put my 10 pence to this post.

OK, let’s look at it this way. I actually admire the Israeli's as they don't take any sh*t from anyone. It is sad that both sides can't live side by side, but it's not the Israelis that are the intolerant ones, it's the Arabs. Iran has said publicly that they want the Israeli race wiped off the face of the planet. Syria takes the same line. So, they arm the various militias in the region to fight againsed Israel, as they haven't got the bottle to do it themselves. Look at Iran, a fundamentalist Islamic state. They are without doubt looking at developing Nuclear weapons. The Western democracies also have Nuclear weapons, but they are a weapon of last resort. If you are dealing with a race that believes that to die fighting means you are a martyre, then the possibility of that race using Nuclear weapons is a very real one.

Israel is surrounded by hostile countries that want to see its destruction. Although Israel is using the best technology to minimise civilian casualties, the Hezbollah hasn't got the same worries. Civilians in their eyes are a justifiable target, as they want all Israelis to be wiped out.

Whether you agree or not about Israel being formed in 1948, it's here and it's here to stay. If you had been born into a country that for 6 generations hasn't known peace, then I suspect your views would be different.

The current conflict is just a side line. What we need to be worried about is if Iran develops Nuclear weapons. Although it's painful to see, if these states win this war, then there will be very serious consequences for us all.

Comment

Well Said !

Having served my time , and can't believe it's 25 years next year that we all sailed off to the south atlantic on a jaunt called corporate, I have to say does any one have the 'bottle' or audacity to stand up and be counted these days ? without fear that they will fall foul of political correctness? Hell we all hated the Japs for long enough but we love driving their excellent inscruitable 4x4s !!!

My Son wears his airborne badge with pride thank God and his mum worries every time the news comes on . But as he told me 'it would make it so much easier if they knew that the people back in Blighty gave their 100% support and didn't just sit on the fence an the armchair warriors didn't moan so much !

As an ex aircrew I had the pleasure of training support OCU with some IAF crew and have to say they are extremely well trained and competent and are under no illusions that no matter what they do it will be wrong in the eyes of western media, but hey 'they have the bottle'

end of sermon
                    Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Originally posted by John h
                      'it would make it so much easier if they knew that the people back in Blighty gave their 100% support and didn't just sit on the fence an the armchair warriors didn't moan so much !
                      Hear hear! Once we deploy our troops, our own countrymen, the people we rely on to defend our freedoms and our way of life, then we should be 100% supportive of them whatever our personal views of the rights and wrongs of the particular conflict.

If you dont agree, the the ballot box is there to change the status quo.
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Bugger, couldn't resist posting again. The point of debate in any
                        conflict is never whether it is morally right or wrong from the point
                        of what the troops have to do once there. At the end of the day, wars
                        are human nature, but they are never moral. The problem is when
                        the Powers-That-Be in charge of those troops are using them for fiscal
                        gain.

If our troops are in a country which has no relation to ourselves in any
                        form, but may reach a state where if we do not intercede they may
                        threaten the safety of the Realm, then yes, that is a countable measure.
                        Pure fiscal gain, however, will never be so.

I know this will go down like a lead brick, but even with the internal state
                        of affairs in this country, one used to be proud to be British. Nowadays,
                        what are we other than America's wannabee's, thanks to a certain
                        Government.

Comment

Well said M35A2, Totaly agree, I've always been pro israrel'i really, When your surrounded by two faced fanatics you have no choice but to fight back with everthing you 've got, imagine rockets launched into england on a day'ly basis! Also its all too easy to knock the yanks and america has its faults but i know i'd sooner live in a world dominated by america than one doninated by the likes of sadam, If it was'nt for america entering the 1st and 2nd world wars for whatever reasons, we might all be doing the goose step now, we came that close!.
                          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by John h
                            Well Said !

Having served my time , and can't believe it's 25 years next year that we all sailed off to the south atlantic on a jaunt called corporate, I have to say does any one have the 'bottle' or audacity to stand up and be counted these days ? without fear that they will fall foul of political correctness? Hell we all hated the Japs for long enough but we love driving their excellent inscruitable 4x4s !!!

My Son wears his airborne badge with pride thank God and his mum worries every time the news comes on . But as he told me 'it would make it so much easier if they knew that the people back in Blighty gave their 100% support and didn't just sit on the fence an the armchair warriors didn't moan so much !

As an ex aircrew I had the pleasure of training support OCU with some IAF crew and have to say they are extremely well trained and competent and are under no illusions that no matter what they do it will be wrong in the eyes of western media, but hey 'they have the bottle'

end of sermon
                            As I said we have the best Army in the world. I was a PTI in 2 Para for 12 years and have trained many young men and placed them in to a state of readyness to fight as Airbourne Soldiers. and they are proud of that.
                            SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                              .....imagine rockets launched into england on a daily basis!
                              Don't have to imagine- there has been ongoing conflict in Britain for the last thirty years. Let us not forget the UK had to put up with similar horror week in-week out and it's still not over yet.

Over 30 years, the IRA and other paramilitary terror groups have murdered 302 police officers, 651 soldiers and reservists plus around 2,000 civilians (exact figure unknown)....

The yearly death toll:

2006 1 (2)
                              2005 5 (7)
                              2004 2 (3)
                              2003 10 (3)
                              2002 11 (5)
                              2001 16
                              2000 19
                              1999 8
                              1998 55
                              1997 21
                              1996 18
                              1995 9
                              1994 64
                              1993 88
                              1992 89
                              1991 96
                              1990 81
                              1989 75
                              1988 104
                              1987 98
                              1986 61
                              1985 57
                              1984 69
                              1983 85
                              1982 110
                              1981 113
                              1980 80
                              1979 121
                              1978 81
                              1977 111
                              1976 295
                              1975 260
                              1974 294
                              1973 253
                              1972 479
                              1971 171
                              1970 26
                              1969 16

In addition to those killed there were around 47,000 seriously injured. Plus:

Shooting incidents 37,000
                              Armed robberies 22,500
                              Persons imprisoned for paramilitary offences 19,600
                              Bombings and attempted bombings 16,200
                              Arson incidents 2,200

You don't have to go too far to find a conflict.

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
                                Don't have to imagine- there has been ongoing conflict in Britain for the last thirty years. Let us not forget the UK had to put up with similar horror week in-week out and it's still not over yet.

Over 30 years, the IRA and other paramilitary terror groups have murdered 302 police officers, 651 soldiers and reservists plus around 2,000 civilians (exact figure unknown)....

The yearly death toll:

2006 1 (2)
                                2005 5 (7)
                                2004 2 (3)
                                2003 10 (3)
                                2002 11 (5)
                                2001 16
                                2000 19
                                1999 8
                                1998 55
                                1997 21
                                1996 18
                                1995 9
                                1994 64
                                1993 88
                                1992 89
                                1991 96
                                1990 81
                                1989 75
                                1988 104
                                1987 98
                                1986 61
                                1985 57
                                1984 69
                                1983 85
                                1982 110
                                1981 113
                                1980 80
                                1979 121
                                1978 81
                                1977 111
                                1976 295
                                1975 260
                                1974 294
                                1973 253
                                1972 479
                                1971 171
                                1970 26
                                1969 16

In addition to those killed there were around 47,000 seriously injured. Plus:

Shooting incidents 37,000
                                Armed robberies 22,500
                                Persons imprisoned for paramilitary offences 19,600
                                Bombings and attempted bombings 16,200
                                Arson incidents 2,200

You don't have to go too far to find a conflict.
                                just come to mine when the wife is drinking red wine
                                the b****y dogs have been at it again

Comment

Working...
                                X