starter motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter motor

here is one for the mechanics out there. My old maverick would struggle to start. Batt fine but you think it was that, got starter reconned,3 month later does it again. Starter fine (what was wrong with it in the first place then?). Got it going, three month later, same happens? Turns out poss batt terminal had loose cable? Still didnt think it was this like? Anyway its done it again!!!! What do you lot think?
    What comes around goes around!!

Bad earth between engine and chassis/body.

Comment

i will check that, cheers mate. Any other suggestions so i can go prepared

Comment

Broken, loose or disconnected wire/s in the starter circuit?
        Bad connection in the ignition switch?
        Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 17 July 2006, 11:04.

Comment

hmmm, ignition switch? The sound for keys left in only works when you wiggle the key, i wonder???

Comment

I've had a car do this. it turned out to be the starter just gets a bit gummed up springs get tired bushes stick etc etc just age really. if you can get to it easily try giving a whack with something heavy, that's often enough to wake them up.
            mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Has to be the starter motor? I have got it started by jumping it. Took it for a good run. Volt meter reading is 14v, drops down to 13 as expected. Went to start it and it a no go??? As if batt was flat. All terminals i can see are cleaned up and refitted. Alt has even been checked.

Comment

Try this, get the black jump cable, connect one end to the negative side of the battery and the other end to anything thats bolted to the engine, e.g. turbo, bracket for the aircon...and try starting engine then you'll know it's the earth strap if it tries to start..

Comment

tried that mate. Tried everything? Took starter back off and sent it off. It must be that?

Comment

Working...
                  X