fire! fire! fire!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fire! fire! fire!

Anyone seen that fire burning over Thursley just off the A3?

If so, is it the same fire that started sometime around 11.30 am yesterday, and if it is what the heck are they playing at? If it was so bad they couldn't put it out in 30 hours then surely it would have spread to a larger area than it has?!?!?!? look out for development of that land area over the next couple of years....because thats how they do it!!! done the same at sandy hill in farnham...lit big fire, took a while to put it out so it covered the area size the developers wanted then built the Sandy Hill housing estate.

Woodzie? what's the deal, why can't your lot get this fire out? maybe you should get down here show 'em how it's done!
    i swear, it was like that when i got here...

It's Matt having a barbeque over at Tony and Lindas.

Comment

a 30 hour long BBQ??? they must be HUNGRY!!

Comment

You've obviously haven't seen the inside of Matts truck on a saturday night then, full of KFC and McDonalds wrappers.

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
          a 30 hour long BBQ??? they must be HUNGRY!!
          Tony and Linda have been on honeymoon and worked up an appetite
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I have spent too much time there in the 90's and just after i left haselmere lost a tender to a fire there ....Just wait till ash and pirbright ranges go up
            www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

if only you had had the experience of a heathland fire with a strong breeze when everything is tinder dry you would not knock the lads in the red trucks, bear in mind most of those guys and girls are retained firefighters who also have to try to hold down their normal employment and save lives as well it is not unknown for them to be called to a shout, work all night at a fire or rescue, go to their day job and if not called out from there be called out when they get home to do another shift.
              My record before I retired was 14 shouts in 26 hrs - nonstop graft.
              And they dont get a fortune for doing it either. For being a Station commander 2 fire engines, 2 special vehicles, 24 personnel, the responsibillity 24/7 of 200 Sq miles of fire ground, near 250 shouts per year, I used to get the princely sum of about 9 grand. At least I kip nights now and with the so called reorganisation of the fire service thanks to prescott I am glad I am retired (with no pension by the way after 20 yrs service)
              rant over!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Did I mention I have a BLUE one
              Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
                if only you had had the experience of a heathland fire with a strong breeze when everything is tinder dry you would not knock the lads in the red trucks, bear in mind most of those guys and girls are retained firefighters who also have to try to hold down their normal employment and save lives as well it is not unknown for them to be called to a shout, work all night at a fire or rescue, go to their day job and if not called out from there be called out when they get home to do another shift.
                My record before I retired was 14 shouts in 26 hrs - nonstop graft.
                And they dont get a fortune for doing it either. For being a Station commander 2 fire engines, 2 special vehicles, 24 personnel, the responsibillity 24/7 of 200 Sq miles of fire ground, near 250 shouts per year, I used to get the princely sum of about 9 grand. At least I kip nights now and with the so called reorganisation of the fire service thanks to prescott I am glad I am retired (with no pension by the way after 20 yrs service)
                rant over!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Well said
                When it got busy in the summer we somehow used to catch some sleep in the back of a truck on the way to a shout
                Last edited by Woodzie; 16 July 2006, 05:05.
                www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

i saw it. it was burning from friday lunchtime I think. big fire too! i've been at guilfest for the weekend which was only just down the road...
                  I got me a new Surf baby yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
                    Well said
                    When it got busy in the summer we somehow used to catch some sleep in the back of a truck on the way to a shout
                    are you still in?
                    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                    Tony

Comment

are you still in?
                      no he's too old for all that now!

BTW wasn't really having a go i do appreciate what a tough job and cr@p pay it is, but still can't see why a fire was burning for 30hours + (don't know if it is out yet last passed it 6pm yesterday which at that point made it 30 hours) and only burning in one area, it hadn't spread massively in that time and it was very windy there (and dry) on friday. just seemed odd thats all!!!

Comment

are you still in?
                        Did only six years with surrey fire and rescue Left in 95 at the ripe old age of 26 . politics were getting too much between the use of retained and wholetime ( surrey is mainly wholetime)and some other reasons
                        A leading hand when i left and done alot of the IFE exams

BTW seen they arrested a 52 year old man for lighting up thursley
                        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
                          no he's too old for all that now!

BTW wasn't really having a go i do appreciate what a tough job and cr@p pay it is, but still can't see why a fire was burning for 30hours + (don't know if it is out yet last passed it 6pm yesterday which at that point made it 30 hours) and only burning in one area, it hadn't spread massively in that time and it was very windy there (and dry) on friday. just seemed odd thats all!!!
                          Cheeky git
                          www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
                            Cheeky git
                            call it as is!

Comment

LATE 70's sprog
                              www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Working...
                              X