Bali - green and friendly

Oz - empty

NZ - Lord of the Rings!
    (We skied down Mt Doom - almost)

US of A
    LA - yuk
    SF - laid back
    Vegas - uber-capitalism

Canada - BC - green and pleasant land (and people)

Guatamala - friendly

Honduras
    mainland - intimidating
    islands - dive dive dive!!!!

Equador - amazing, friendly, cheap, dry

peru - fab

chili - santiago is pleasant

Easter Island - ultra amazing and quiet

Brazil - samba!

Egypt - hot, sandy, $$$$ food.

.... well, ya did ask.
    If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

England....north of Watford - speak strange. sarf OK
      Scotland.....generous, friendly - dito-
      Wales.....nice sheep, -dito, but very
      Brittany.....great folks, good food, know how to party!
      Germany.....little humor, know how to eat & drink
      Italy....pushy, ignorant
      Sicily..very nice people, esp. Don!
      Turkish...friendly, welcoming, easyly offended if hospitality not accepted every time
      Holland..friendly esp the girls
      Sweden..as above but more so!!
      New York.. love it!
      Florida..bit over the top
      L.A. ..lot over the top
      Cook Islands....Paradise, heaven on earth, must return (you would not believe what they put in their coconuts!!!! and just how do they get their hips/bums to move like that??
      New Zealand..great but still in the 50's a bit - will return!
      Tazmania..quite english - just left the 50's
      Aus....it's aus OK -ya wingin pom - have a beer!
      singapore..crazy (singapore airlines - wow - stewadesses - bigger wow)
      Bangkok..drivers mental..tailors briliant (6 silk shirts handmade 4 hrs £85!!)
      Devon....home....peace & quiet, green, cream teas, good local beer
      Did I mention I have a BLUE one
      Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
        Devon....home....peace & quiet, green, cream teas, good local beer
        DOH! - thats done it! I'm now pining for the moors. damn you! I thought I'd gotten over it.
        If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Turkey 1998-lovely, friendly people, everyone wants to converse with the English speaking tourists to better their own vocab.
          Turkey 2005-unfriendly, hostile in places and no one wants to converse with the English speaking tourists unless it's to sell them c.r@p or insult them...so thank you v.much messrs Bush n Blair.

comparison is made on visits to the same regions in both visits.

Sicily, Taomina-amazing food, esp. fish prep, although quite touristy still full of amazing sights, love the amphitheatre (3rd century BC Greek), Mount Etna very accessible. basically a very good overview of the beauty of Sicily. Palermo and Catania also full of amazing historic sights.

Jamaica-montego bay. supposed to be beautiful and romantic, but sh1t myself all day long when we went shopping in the main town area...angry looking cops with machine guns is not a very welcoming or comforting sight and if you don't stand up to the guys trying to pull you into their shops then your Mrs will be held to ransom (although looking back wish i had just let them...) plus it's just dirty as hell, excellent sea fishing though and lovely food, people friendly but basically beg for tips on top of everything you pay them.

Dominican Republic-awesome, not a bad word to say about the place or the people, even the poorest of the poor are smiling all day long, excellent food and unlike the Jamaicans actually work hard for what the tourists pay for.

Belgium-stinks everywhere. petrol stations are good though! (not very fair as only drove through on way to Germany)

Deutschland-love it. the germans are just the same as the english except better at football (but couldn't stop me scoring a hat trick in the 1st game of our tournament in 1996), worse at fighting, better at making beer, worse at drinking it, more efficient at everything they do and yes they are very funny and most have a great sense of humour, except the women (so, the same as here!)

Limoge-very beautiful, family orientated area. loved the Cathedrale St-Etienne, spectacular architecture.

Minorca- they got this club thing in the middle of some cliffs somewhere...that was a lads holiday and thats all i can remember.

Tenerife, playa de las americas???-have no idea except very cheap to get drunk and massage parlours ...another lads holiday

Amsterdam....see description for Tenerife and add untold amounts of pot.
          After this i sobered up permanently as was very, very ill and haven't had a drink or ciggie since new years coming into 2005.

My next holiday I'm hoping to do a Twister chase in the States!
          i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

oi went to burton on trent once. theys some funny lookin buggers there...
            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by legendgamesmaster
              DOH! - thats done it! I'm now pining for the moors. damn you! I thought I'd gotten over it.
              hang on I'll just check out the window, yep, Cox Tor, Pew Tor, Staple Tor, Mast on Hessary all present and correct - think I'll just have a tipple of Jail Ale......Ahhhhhhhhhhhh
              Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt

wos it open??
                Tony

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
                  Sicily, Taomina-amazing food, esp. fish prep, although quite touristy
                  Got ripped off there 2 weeks ago, 6 euros for a coffee and 8 for a $$$$py bready pasty type thing with little filling, and in the middle of a heat wave. Etna was good tho except the cost for the cable car up to the crater
                  Tony

Comment

Got ripped off there 2 weeks ago, 6 euros for a coffee and 8 for a $$$$py bready pasty type thing with little filling, and in the middle of a heat wave. Etna was good tho except the cost for the cable car up to the crater
                    shame that, still cheapish when i was last there 2003 but getting more touristy than when 1st went in 1999. were all the old grannies and grandfathers still out and about with the youngsters at 2am? thats what made me fall in love with the place, the respect they have for their elders and that the oldies still felt up for the night out even in their 80's!

Comment

I did a Unix course in Burton on Trent once. You're right. I got used to not going out after dark pretty quickly...
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
                        shame that, still cheapish when i was last there 2003 but getting more touristy than when 1st went in 1999. were all the old grannies and grandfathers still out and about with the youngsters at 2am? thats what made me fall in love with the place, the respect they have for their elders and that the oldies still felt up for the night out even in their 80's!
                        Although we didn't see it I would like to think that prices and attitudes changed later in the day when us and all the other 'trippers' left, we saw and tried to say hi to many families sitting out but perhaps we looked too touristy.
                        Spoilt it a bit for us as did the unexpected heat wave while we were there - it was good to get up on Etna and get a bit of cooler air. Now there's a place to go off road - that would be a chalenge! dont think the tyres would last long though - that lava is sharp and the grip you would get would stop you from using 4WD
                        Tony

Comment

Although we didn't see it I would like to think that prices and attitudes changed later in the day when us and all the other 'trippers' left, we saw and tried to say hi to many families sitting out but perhaps we looked too touristy.
                          Spoilt it a bit for us as did the unexpected heat wave while we were there - it was good to get up on Etna and get a bit of cooler air. Now there's a place to go off road - that would be a chalenge! dont think the tyres would last long though - that lava is sharp and the grip you would get would stop you from using 4WD
                          it's real alien up there too isn't it, like your on the moon or something, did you go into that little cafe up there? thats an eerie strange place as well, you got to be an oddball to want to set up shop and home way up there!

Comment

Is a bit strange to say the least. The Peak District is just down the road from me and there are quite a few towns like that...very "league of Gentlemen" [not suprising actually as that was where it was filmed].

Strangest place I ever went through was Curry Ravell [think it's spelt like that] in Somerset. I was visiting my family near Bridgewater on the way to Lyme Regis, and instead of getting back on the M5 I thought I'd take a "shortcut" down the B roads. Well, to cut a very long story short, I ended up on roads that weren't even on the map, and every time I thought I was making some headway, we ended up back in Curry Ravell...3 times in all. In the end I used the direction of the Sun to generally guide us in a southerly direction!

Got there in the end though, more than 2 hours longer than it should have done...
                            Carpe Biscalorum...

Comment

far far n away

Iraq....Scary

Libya...dusty,hot,fly-blown and got bombed by the yanks!

USSR...Friendly

Serbia....Scary,wet and muddy (when I was there!)

Ukraine.... Friendly but poor, $$$$$$ hot in summer, freezing in winter!

USA....Southern states (friendly)

France... south west...great people...loved my triumph daytona!

Spain........love the place

Philippines....met the missus there and got bitten by a reef shark! love the place.......

Isle of Man (Mann).....fell off my bike.......again!

lots of other places mainly war zones.........glad I changed jobs!
                              Don't call me love, its not my name!!

Comment

Christ, bunch of globetrotters or what? You ought start a website "Surf Guide to the World"!
                                Carpe Biscalorum...

Comment

Working...
                                X