More low down grunt please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gazbo
    Mine can get up curbs no prob, but like other folk on here, its initial pulling away is to be desired??? It can wheel spin, but only now and then? Does the washers on the actuator just bring the turbo in earlier on the surf engine? It does on quite a few other cars i have tinkered with. If i could get the turbo to kick in at just over 1000rpm then i reckon this should sort it?
    Yeah i know what you mean, I'm almost to the top of my road when the turbo comes in and then i have to stop and do it all over again when i pull out, bl00dy annoying!
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
      Yeah i know what you mean, I'm almost to the top of my road when the turbo comes in and then i have to stop and do it all over again when i pull out, bl00dy annoying!

It deffo sounds like your low on trans fluid, or it needs changing.
      Does it feel as if the 'clutch' is slipping too much when you pull away?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        It deffo sounds like your low on trans fluid, or it needs changing.
        Does it feel as if the 'clutch' is slipping too much when you pull away?
        No not really Vince, It just seems slow i building up revs, I can floor it but it and it still takes ages to build up, Makes me think it injectors,

Comment

Wow ! what a response, mine goes very well when rolling, just flats a fish until 2k. I was used to a V8 RR until recently tho'.
          Speaking of which 1992 V8 LPG RR For Sale VGC £2000 ono
          Side mounts are the new top mounts !

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
            Makes me think it injectors,
            Gotta be worth a try, at least. I put a big bottle of Redex (enough to treat 8 tankfuls, I think), into an almost empty fuel tank.

Doesn't half make a difference!!
            It just does, OK?

Comment

And I got oooge wheels (16in Land Cruiser)
              Side mounts are the new top mounts !

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                Gotta be worth a try, at least. I put a big bottle of Redex (enough to treat 8 tankfuls, I think), into an almost empty fuel tank.

Doesn't half make a difference!!
                Thats my first step Dave, Dare say a contributing factor also is i do very little mileage, mostly just poodleing about local so it never gets a good blow through,

Comment

Originally posted by javars
                  And I got oooge wheels (16in Land Cruiser)
                  They'll make a difference to aceleration.

I used to have 30/9.5/15's on, and replaced wheels/tyres with 265/70/16. Noticed a difference when pulling away. Takes more effort to turn biger tyres..
                  It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by javars
                    Wow ! what a response, mine goes very well when rolling, just flats a fish until 2k. I was used to a V8 RR until recently tho'.
                    Speaking of which 1992 V8 LPG RR For Sale VGC £2000 ono

Thats cheap for a Rolls Royce!!

Comment

think im in the same boat as you ian just using it to go to work (about a mile)and poodling about locally ,might be why im getting sh#t out my exhaust lol
                      Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                        Thats cheap for a Rolls Royce!!
                        Vince!!! RR don't stand for that...

....its a Reliant Robin.

and a V8 LPG cool!! bet that wiould win the ramp rollover any day at the aldershot banger track!!!! (aldershot banger track...R.I.P gone but not forgotten...we love you)
                        i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Ah yes, the Reliant Robin.
                          Been in the back of one of them when it fell over, It happend in our college car park, three of us in the plastic thing my mate driving trying to do a three point turn and getting one of the rear wheels up the curb and it just fell over. I didn't bother getting out, just sat in the back as the other two got out and tipped it back onto it's wheels.

Happy days.

Comment

I have a similar problem when the engine is stone cold, but i thought it was just diesels. When i start and pull out of the drive its really lethargic to pull away, as it is at any stop-start until the engine starts gettin warm, then its fine.

like the idea of the washers to get more boost. are there any potential pitfalls with doin this?

Mart
                            Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

Originally posted by B16mts
                              I have a similar problem when the engine is stone cold, but i thought it was just diesels. When i start and pull out of the drive its really lethargic to pull away, as it is at any stop-start until the engine starts gettin warm, then its fine.

like the idea of the washers to get more boost. are there any potential pitfalls with doin this?

Mart
                              yeah, I seem to remember reading some potential pitfalls. there was a good thread on here about it not too long ago, have a search for it. it could lead to overheating i think. and i just noticed that the site someone else links to gives this warning

for best use of boosting your Turbo it is recomended to have an afermarket exhaust system to help extract the hot gasses quicker, as the stock exhaust system and dump pipe are fairly restrictive and your turbo will find it harder to boost to higher pressures.
                              I got me a new Surf baby yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
                                think im in the same boat as you ian just using it to go to work (about a mile)and poodling about locally ,might be why im getting sh#t out my exhaust lol
                                I get very little sh#t out of the pipe, just no guts, its a little better when it warms up and better still when the weathers cool, Have to remember of course these trucks and engines are 12 years old or more, They must have been a lot better when they were new otherwise the japs would have been in an uproar, I think the 2.5 pajero's are just as sluggish, Big trucks, small engines!!! Should have got a 3lt, It'll do me though,

Comment

Working...
                                X