Well...it finally happened....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well...it finally happened....

yep, junction 29 on the M25, 11pm, temperature gauge in the red, surf spills its guts all over the hard shoulder.

Waited for the RAC man to turn up who said head gasket has gone, no loss of oil, just water, so he filled her up to get me to junction 30, Thurrock services. Then had to wait 4 $$$$$$ HOURS FOR THE RECOVERY VEHICLE!
    Which then cost me £200 for the privelage of a piggy back ride back to Ipswich. Thieving bar stewards.

Now, do i just replace the gasket or do the whole head? I think i know the answer. Also would it be worth replacing internals? the Rac bloke seemed to think the engine was fine, no loss of power at all, no white/blue smoke, oil level was fine, just overheating, what do you guys think?

Oh hum, cant grumble that much, had 2 years of trouble free motoring out of her (2.4 LN130) Shes just gonna have to sit there until i can get enough cash to fix her. Ideas on total price for replacement and fit??

Cheers, Mike.
    Last edited by qube3; 19 June 2006, 13:08.
    [IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/DONKR1/me.jpg[/IMG]
    [url]www.qube-art.co.uk[/url]

Heres some prices for parts to get you going...

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/members_pa...evo/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Heres some prices for parts to get you going...

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/members_pa...evo/index.html
      Cheers, bud, as in my original post, what about other internal parts?

Also any one got a trailer free going up to stockport?

Comment

If the head has gone, then you shouldn't need any other parts than the ones listed in the link.
        Try and get the head pressure tested, as you maybe lucky and get away with just a head gasket, rad flush, thermostat and rad cap to fix the overheating prob.

Comment

It must have been one of those weekends.
          Basically the same thing happened to me. Been doing some light greenlaning on Saturday. The whole day the car was fine and preformed really well. After we were finished stopped at a pub to grab a bite to eat, after about 1 1/2 got back in the car and all was normal. As soon as I got her onto the motorway, temp gauge went through the roof. Now car is at the garage I bought it from and he is trying to tell me that I have invalidated my warranty because I took the vehicle off tarmac.

Just hoping that it is nothing serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Camone
            Basically the same thing happened to me. Been doing some light greenlaning on Saturday. The whole day the car was fine and preformed really well. After we were finished stopped at a pub to grab a bite to eat, after about 1 1/2 got back in the car and all was normal. As soon as I got her onto the motorway, temp gauge went through the roof. Now car is at the garage I bought it from and he is trying to tell me that I have invalidated my warranty because I took the vehicle off tarmac.

If you wanted a car to use only on tarmac then you would have bought a Mondeo or similar from him!
            I think he's trying to wriggle out of the warranty agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by Camone

He cant wriggle out of the warrenty, he still still bound to help you under the sale of goods act, IE your statutory rights which he cannot deny you
              SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                If the head has gone, then you shouldn't need any other parts than the ones listed in the link.
                Try and get the head pressure tested, as you maybe lucky and get away with just a head gasket, rad flush, thermostat and rad cap to fix the overheating prob.
                bur would it not be advisable to just change the head in any event? would it not just happen again?

Comment

Originally posted by qube3
                  bur would it not be advisable to just change the head in any event? would it not just happen again?
                  Take the head off first, then you know exactly whats going on. It'll probably be cracked, in fact not much probably about it!

Condolences.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

just had my recall confirmed today as well , just cant get the truck up there to do it at the moment.

Comment

Thanks for the advise guys. I willcontacting him today to find out what the damage is. I will be sure to mention the "sale of goods act" if he gets a little shirty.
                      I will keep you posted.

Comment

Working...
                      X