We're gettin a hound!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by javars
    Cheers, kinda what I was thinking, hes not spoilt & never has $$$ bits, hes NEVER aggressive, im just putting it down to being 9 months, I was just interested in another point of view. Thanks again

(3 months ago !)
    lovely looking dog
    Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

i'm assuming if that photo's from 3 months ago - you can't lift him quite so easily anymore!!!
      i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
        i know a dane won't have problems jumping into back of a surf (probably be able to do it shortly after you get one) but my shepherd was a bit shocked the other week (and worried me a bit) because i'd done the 2" bodylift and he hadn't clocked the difference and give it his usual effortless bound onto the tailgate and then realised he'd not given himself enough of a leap and had to give it a second stab!

since they suffer with the hips and he is one of the largest germans i've seen, i'm going to have to build a ramp soon because although he's still good at the mo he's around about 8 years old (not 100% sure of age, got him from battersea - he's a major handful mainly due to his size and clumsiness!) and i don't want to keep making him jump too high because one day he won't manage it and will hurt himself.

so i want to make solid ramp using materials that will take his weight easily (7 and half stone) but will do the suspension lift 1st so i build it to the right size!

congrats to the wife to be BTW on her placement and enjoy yourself with your new friend when you pick them up!
        While you're doing that can you make a ramp for me?

I've been advised its not good to have the dane umpin up into the back especially whe its growing, and i don't fancy picking up 14 stone of wet dog and putting it in the boot. However my mums GSD (and he's a big bugger too!!) gets far to excited about the truck and jumped in the other day when i opened the boot window and nothing else. Got a nice set of scratches on the back door now where his back claws pushed him in the little swine.

Well the pups are due to be born a week tomorrow, can't wait!!

Mart
        Attached Files
        Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
          i'm assuming if that photo's from 3 months ago - you can't lift him quite so easily anymore!!!
          I have to take a deep breath !
          Side mounts are the new top mounts !

Comment

We've got two of them! Is this your first Dobe?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a41...r/d3fd44d6.jpg
            Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 29 June 2006, 16:30.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              We've got two of them! Is this your first Dobe?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a41...r/d3fd44d6.jpg
              Very nice dogs, when do they calm down ?
              Side mounts are the new top mounts !

Comment

After about 18 months. Don't forget their sole purpose, (and what they were originally bred for) is to protect their master and family, and they will do so in every situation unless your firm with them when very young.

Mrs B>
                When it's the time of the month our male kicks into overdrive protection! Having a female aswell that tends to fall into season at the same time as me - DOUBLE WAMMY!

They need to know however alpha male and alpha female always, it's a very very ...VERY.. inteligent breed (how ever dopey they might appear), I have owned many different breeds and this by far is a challenge. This breed will watch when your not looking, check on you when your preoccupied (they see it as you are vulnerable and need to protect you), keep your visitors in check (gave my mate clive a nasty nip on the bum as he rushed passed me to see vince in the garage one day, been coming here before H's time). Get 2 and they learn to work as a team.

Enjoy every moment though because the laughs out weight the "arrrrrrgh for christs sakes DOG!!"

One major important thing - don't ever raise your hand to him, just block him out of the pack - "to the shed" (whatever) and it is the best punishment believe me, they hate being pushed away from the family. "Right get out" then tends to solve many problems you might have. Say it, mean it, do it.

Any questions, honestly we don't know it all but I work with a breeder who shows and she knows more than us if you need advice.

One big mistake with our first dobe, didn't take her to puppy training, BIG MISTAKE, she's an anti social bitch now (H on his own is fine) with her he's her back up - FEARSOME

Pet Insurance - Breeders seem to recommend Pet Plan... long term benefits etc if you need to claim.

Enjoy!
                Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 29 June 2006, 19:58.

Comment

Working...
                X