Lubricating propellor shafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubricating propellor shafts

I think I need to get my prop shafts lubed up as it's been over 6000 miles since they've been done.

Can I take it to a normal garage and get it done there? If so, how much would/should it roughly cost?

I dont' know how to do it myself and probably haven't got the equipment to do it so i need to get it done by someone.

Originally posted by ferretmanabu
    I think I need to get my prop shafts lubed up as it's been over 6000 miles since they've been done.

Can I take it to a normal garage and get it done there? If so, how much would/should it roughly cost?

I dont' know how to do it myself and probably haven't got the equipment to do it so i need to get it done by someone.
    cheapest way is to get a grease gun and do it yourself only a 5 min job

Comment

How much is a grease gun and how do I go about doing it once I've got the gun? I have the visor card picture of where to grease and stuff but I'm truly a mechanical numpty.

Comment

There are various grease nipples dotted around (as indicated on the visor card) - gun should fit directly onto the nipples (best to get a gun with a flexible hose end) and just squirt the grease - easy.

You may need to rock or drive the truck backwards and/or forwards slightly to get the shafts/nipples turned so you can get to them and you may need to engage 4wd briefly while you do it if the front ones need turning.
        No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Basic grease gun will be about 10-15 quid, try Machine mart, northern tools, local motor-factors. Or if you have a friendly garage you could just pop in and ask them to do it, but don't get ripped off - as paul said its only a 5 min job.
          No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Originally posted by codlord
            There are various grease nipples dotted around (as indicated on the visor card) - gun should fit directly onto the nipples (best to get a gun with a flexible hose end) and just squirt the grease - easy.

You may need to rock or drive the truck backwards and/or forwards slightly to get the shafts/nipples turned so you can get to them and you may need to engage 4wd briefly while you do it if the front ones need turning.
            bugger beat me to it as codlord said m8 its not rocket science

Comment

I dont have a visor card. Anyone have a scan of one so I can find my nipples?
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                The search button is a wonderful thing...!!!...

Try here...
                It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                  The search button is a wonderful thing...!!!...

Try here...
                  Make sure you can see the grease ouzzin outta the joints (if not) that you can hear it squelchin out & then a few extra pumps o grease !!
                  Best O Luck M8ty

There's always a Payback.... You just can't see it Comin !!!!
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

they are on your chest the other side from your shoulder blades ....and if you havn't got visa you can pay by mastercard!!!!!!!!
                    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                    Tony

Comment

here you go
                      Last edited by stormforce; 12 October 2008, 21:25.
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

The one I got is in english though. I'm sure I got it off the forum. I did have the link saved but had to reboot the pc recently so have lost it.

Do cartridges for the gun come universal or do I need to be careful buying a grease cartridge which will fit a particular gun?

Comment

as long as you can see where the nipples are on the diagram then it dont really matter what the writting says as for the grease i ain't got a clue whats best for it
                          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

The one I got is in english though. I'm sure I got it off the forum. I did have the link saved but had to reboot the pc recently so have lost it.
                            You mean this ?

Trev
                            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Ideal job to start to get to know your Surf and really doesn't take long.....

Comment

Working...
                              X