Fuel Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SSRX3.0TDLE
    To be honest i never let my cars go below half a tank, as i keep them filled up when possible.

Plus it doesn't do the engine much good with all the **** in the bottom of the fuel tank that gets through.!!!

Plus you never know when you might run out if you are on roads that you don't know as it could be ages before you see a garage.!!!

How easy is it to drain the fuel tank and clean it out? Is there a plug on the bottom?

Comment

You'll have to take the tank off .

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        You'll have to take the tank off .

Oh!!! That doesn't sound too staightforward.

Comment

it's not that difficult, but don't do it on a wet day 'cos the rain will run down your sleeves to your armpits..........not nice!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            it's not that difficult, but don't do it on a wet day 'cos the rain will run down your sleeves to your armpits..........not nice!

My Surf has been sitting on the drive dead for the past 6 months. The fuel tank is 3/4 full of diesel and stevo is hopefully fixing it. Will there be any sludge in the fuel pipes after sitting for so long?

Comment

Originally posted by plodger
              My Surf has been sitting on the drive dead for the past 6 months. The fuel tank is 3/4 full of diesel and stevo is hopefully fixing it. Will there be any sludge in the fuel pipes after sitting for so long?

Doubt it.. It will all have sunk to the bottom of the tank i'd have thought!
              Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

no, should be o.k. I do know that petrol can go 'stale' if left for a while, but I think you'll be o.k. with diesel, it is basically oil after all.

Comment

Originally posted by joe112
                  Doubt it.. It will all have sunk to the bottom of the tank i'd have thought!

That's what concerns me. Isn't the fuel line coming away from the tank from the bottom. If so when I start her for the first time after six months won't all the sludge go straight to the filter and block it?

Comment

Originally posted by plodger
                    That's what concerns me. Isn't the fuel line coming away from the tank from the bottom. If so when I start her for the first time after six months won't all the sludge go straight to the filter and block it?
                    No.

The fuel line to the engine (filter) doesn't come from the very bottom of the tank. There will always be a little diesel left in the tank, even if it's run dry.

BUT...

At the end of the day, that's what the filter's for.

Get it up and running. Change the filter, and change it again in a month or so. That's my suggestion, anyway.
                    It just does, OK?

Comment

Working...
                    X