Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Light

Hi All

Previously I have always thought that my fuel light wasn't working... I could get the needle down so you couldn't see the E at all and still no light, hence thinking it didn't work..

The other day it was parked on the dirve (which slopes Rear end down) and when i came to it in the morning the light was on. as soon as i came off the drive the light went out (i understand why this happened, diesel settled in tank showing emptier than actually was due to uneven drive)

Since this i know the fuel light bulb hasn't gone so i have been trying to get it to come on..

So far i have had the needle below the E and no light ( I didn't da\re take it any lower)

The only time the light did come on it went back off again, also it wasn't steady.. it would get brighter and dimmer

So my question's are -

1. Is this normal, does it go on an off a few times before it stays on... or is mine knackered...

2. could this be due to needle inaccuracy (is it common for surf fuel gauges to be out)

3. Can anyone post pics of where on the fuel guage their light normally comes on

4. am I just being a $hit bag and not going low enough??

The most diesel i have ever managed to get into the truck is about 53l and the light wasn't on - if i have a 55l tank the i was very low and surely it should have been... if i have a 60l tank then it might not neccessarily have been that low... is there any way i can find out for sure (without doing the obvious and running out of diesel)

Thanks

Joe
    Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

mine comes on and goes off when cornering with low fuel.
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by joe112
      Hi All

Previously I have always thought that my fuel light wasn't working... I could get the needle down so you couldn't see the E at all and still no light, hence thinking it didn't work..

The other day it was parked on the dirve (which slopes Rear end down) and when i came to it in the morning the light was on. as soon as i came off the drive the light went out (i understand why this happened, diesel settled in tank showing emptier than actually was due to uneven drive)

Since this i know the fuel light bulb hasn't gone so i have been trying to get it to come on..

So far i have had the needle below the E and no light ( I didn't da\re take it any lower)

The only time the light did come on it went back off again, also it wasn't steady.. it would get brighter and dimmer

So my question's are -

1. Is this normal, does it go on an off a few times before it stays on... or is mine knackered...

2. could this be due to needle inaccuracy (is it common for surf fuel gauges to be out)

3. Can anyone post pics of where on the fuel guage their light normally comes on

4. am I just being a $hit bag and not going low enough??

The most diesel i have ever managed to get into the truck is about 53l and the light wasn't on - if i have a 55l tank the i was very low and surely it should have been... if i have a 60l tank then it might not neccessarily have been that low... is there any way i can find out for sure (without doing the obvious and running out of diesel)

Thanks

Joe

You should have a 65 litre tank on your truck. My light comes on when the needle is just below the empty mark.

Comment

To be honest i never let my cars go below half a tank, as i keep them filled up when possible.

Plus it doesn't do the engine much good with all the **** in the bottom of the fuel tank that gets through.!!!

Plus you never know when you might run out if you are on roads that you don't know as it could be ages before you see a garage.!!!
        SLIPPERY WHEN WET.!!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          You should have a 65 litre tank on your truck. My light comes on when the needle is just below the empty mark.

Do you mean when the E is completly visible on the Right of the needle?

Comment

Just off the E towards the low fuel light.
            Maybe your bulb has blown as you say it went bright then dim, as it's the same type of bulb as the dials. see pic.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              Just off the E towards the low fuel light.
              Maybe your bulb has blown as you say it went bright then dim, as it's the same type of bulb as the dials. see pic.

so end result from your comms Vince is that i am a $hit bag and don't take it low enough.. it will be goning on and off as i haven't taken it low enough (Just covering the E).. It will be coming on and off because its nearly at the point when it comes on.. starting, stopping cornering etc will make it go on and off as the fuel moves around..

Will test again this week with some 12 and 14mm spanners and a can of diesel in the back just in case!

Cheers Vince

Comment

No comment!

Comment

mine came on this weekend just below the quarter mark on the dial.
                  I drove it for a few more km`s and filled up with 62 litres.

Comment

My fuel light isn't an on/off type. It does get brighter the lower the fuel level is, until it's on 'full blast'.

And it comes on and off with cornering, acceleration etc..
                    It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by hawkwind
                      mine came on this weekend just below the quarter mark on the dial.
                      I drove it for a few more km`s and filled up with 62 litres.

that sounds like your dial isn't accurate 62l from 1/4 tank.. biggest tank you can get is 65l (unless your andylala)

Comment

According to the owner's manual:

LOW FUEL WARNING
                        Should this light show, there is only around 9 ltr of fuel left in the tank. Refuel as soon as possible.
                        So if you have a 65 ltr tank (mine's a '91 LN130, and I have a 65 ltr) your needle would need to be quite low to get to 9 litres and see your warning light.

Carry a jerry of Biodiesel in the back. It'll get your out of any very low situations, and won't stink (as much) as diesel.
                        _______
                        /_/ _ | 0\__
                        \,...__,..._ /
                        _(o)__(o)_

Comment

Originally posted by joe112
                          that sounds like your dial isn't accurate 62l from 1/4 tank.. biggest tank you can get is 65l (unless your andylala)
                          No it isnt accurate.
                          I was told about it though before i bought the surf.

Comment

Fuel tank capacity

Had mine come on for the first time ever this weekend. Put in 55L which is the most I've ever had to fill it with, so I reckon mine comes on around the 9-10L remaining mark.

I think the MOT guys must have driven it a bit after the retest as I don't think it was that far down when I left it there, although they did have to take it to get the tracking done. Only fail point on a 12 yo motor was N/S outer track rod end worn, but as it's apparently an MOT fail to heat the joining tube between inner and outer and the tube was rusted tight, I had both replaced and the tube. What ever you do, don't buy the track rod ends from a Toyota dealer. I was quoted £54 & £44 plus VAT for each part plus £10 for the joining tube. As Roughtrax don't do the joining tube the dealer supplied that but Barry supplied the rest with his usual next day service.
                            Mike G

Comment

My Surf and runner do the same light comes on as I corner or accelerate as tank gets low then when its low enough it stays on.
                              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                              My choice
                              Back off

Comment

Working...
                              X