Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX103 Doing my Head in !!!

Hi everyone,

I know there are loads of threads on the forum about the EX103 form, and I've looked at loads of other forums (goatindustries) and website (journeytoforever, bio-power.co.uk, etc), and there seem sto be so much conflicting information about what to fill in on the EX103 form from C&E.

My form has arrived, and I'm wanting to make sure I put the right information in the right boxes to give me every chance of getting the lower tax rate.

From what I can make out, if I am using SVO and pouring it straight into my tank from the bottle, I am a Bio-Diesel Producer (lower tax). If I mix Diesel, Solvent, Unleaded with the SVO before putting it into the tank, I am making a Diesel Substitute (higher rate tax).

Alternatively, if I am using WVO, cleaned and de-acidified, according to Bio-Power.co.uk I should be able to receive the lower tax rate because the oil is a waste product. However, I have also read that because WVO has to be produced (cleaned, de-acidified) it is regarded as being a Diesel Substitute and therefore subject to the higher rate.

Forum members are also saying that having been put on the lower rate initially, they are now being told to back pay duty because they should have been on the higher rate.

Does the government want us to help the environment or not ?!!

Can anyone give me any information about what to put on the EX103 form? I have attached a copy of the form if anyone else wants a copy. Once I have filled mine in and received the response from C&E, I will scan it and attach it here so we can have a copy for reference.

If anyone who has successfully managed to get the lower rate of tax has a copy of the form that they could put on here then please go ahead.

I am close to making a trip to see the helpful people at the C&E

Please Help !!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bludger; 5 January 2006, 14:39.
    Just Vegging Out

Is it worth all the hassle / savings to you to use veg oil.
    If you use your truck for commuting then I suppose it is, but if you only do little mileage per week / month, then I don't think it's worth it. By the time C&E work out the taxes, it will probably cost the same as normal diesel anyway.

Comment

I'm not sure that anyone who has applied recently, since Aug/Sept last year using SVO has been given the lower rate. HMRC have got wise and put up the barriers. So much for trying to be green and being recognized for it!!
      You aint seen me, right

Comment

EX103 Update

I have attached the details of the EX103 form that I have just filled in and sent to the C&E.

I will let you know what Tax rate I am on and any other information as I receive it.

Feel free to copy the letter for yourselves.

Attached Files
        Just Vegging Out

Comment

This all kicked off just as I had just about decided to go the veggie route .....
          There was a News report on how they are gonna build a massive refinery around here somewhere and produce bio using the same wheat that is used to produce Whisky. I also read an article,cant remember the terms or dates used, but basically the Govt has issued a stated intent that x% of fuel will be bio variants by 2008 or 2010 ish.(or just before the next election I would guess)

So I would guess that the C&E heavies are shutting all the doors before the govermink starts rolling this policy out.

Comment

Originally posted by Nugget
            I have attached the details of the EX103 form that I have just filled in and sent to the C&E.

I will let you know what Tax rate I am on and any other information as I receive it.

Feel free to copy the letter for yourselves.

Any update on this yet??

I got my form in the post this morning. Did what you put on your form satisfy HMCE?
            It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo

I got my form in the post this morning. Did what you put on your form satisfy HMCE?
              You can't say anything to satify them, If you not making proper Bio, you will get charged the higher rate now. People who where getting the lower rate for just using SVO are recently getting letters saying they are going to be charged the higher rate.

But at least you'll still be legal if you ever get stopped and dipped. If you can get WVO and filter it, its still cheaper to pay the higher rate of tax on what you declare each month than deisel.

Its a mess, as usual.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                You can't say anything to satify them, If you not making proper Bio, you will get charged the higher rate now. People who where getting the lower rate for just using SVO are recently getting letters saying they are going to be charged the higher rate.

But at least you'll still be legal if you ever get stopped and dipped. If you can get WVO and filter it, its still cheaper to pay the higher rate of tax on what you declare each month than deisel.

Its a mess, as usual.

My main priority is to stay legal, at the moment. Wouldn't want a massive tax bill!! I thnk I've resigned myself that it'll be 47.1ppl tax, which is a shame!!

Any tips on filling the form in? And why do you need it witnessed??? Seems a bit odd to me!!
                It just does, OK?

Comment

Had another searh around, and filled the form in. Got the good lady wife to witness it. Hope that's allowed!! I guess they'll send the form back if it's not allowed.

Just have to wait for a reply now, before I even think about using any Veg oil..
                  It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                    Had another searh around, and filled the form in. Got the good lady wife to witness it. Hope that's allowed!! I guess they'll send the form back if it's not allowed.

Just have to wait for a reply now, before I even think about using any Veg oil..

I got the forms back a couple of weeks back stating that I am now a registered Biofuels producer. There is no mention anywhere about which Tax I am on, so I have made the assumption that I am on the higher rate, as I'm not actually making BioDiesel, and the C&E are sayiong that the reduced rate of 27p is to compensate for the higher costs involved in producing BioDiesel.

Apparently going to Tesco, hiding at the back of the carpark and chucking 20 litres of fresh vege in the tank before topping up on Dino is too easy, so we must pay for making our lives simpler.

Anyway, when your first HO 930 form comes through, feel free to give me a shout if you need a hand filling it in. (It's not very self explanatory)

I have also now got a regular supply of WVO, and I'm putting together a filter system to filter the WVO before putting it in the tank. Once it's up and running, I'll post a few pictures and give details for anyone interested in doing the same.

Dave
                    Just Vegging Out

Comment

Originally posted by Nugget
                      I got the forms back a couple of weeks back stating that I am now a registered Biofuels producer. There is no mention anywhere about which Tax I am on, so I have made the assumption that I am on the higher rate, as I'm not actually making BioDiesel, and the C&E are sayiong that the reduced rate of 27p is to compensate for the higher costs involved in producing BioDiesel.

Apparently going to Tesco, hiding at the back of the carpark and chucking 20 litres of fresh vege in the tank before topping up on Dino is too easy, so we must pay for making our lives simpler.

Anyway, when your first HO 930 form comes through, feel free to give me a shout if you need a hand filling it in. (It's not very self explanatory)

I have also now got a regular supply of WVO, and I'm putting together a filter system to filter the WVO before putting it in the tank. Once it's up and running, I'll post a few pictures and give details for anyone interested in doing the same.

Dave
                      Hi Dave I'd be interested to hear how the filtering goes as the Local Coffee shop has offered me about 60 litres a week FREE, so even the high tax rate makes this appealing.
                      thanks Tony
                      www.puppywalker.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by tonytom
                        Hi Dave I'd be interested to hear how the filtering goes as the Local Coffee shop has offered me about 60 litres a week FREE, so even the high tax rate makes this appealing.
                        thanks Tony
                        The Surf won't run on coffee!

60L a week. Will you get through all of that?

I'm in the testing stage of the filter system, so I'll get some photos up once its functioning properly.

Dave
                        Just Vegging Out

Comment

We've been filtering used oil from the local pub for ages, it goes through a pillow case comes out golden!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                            We've been filtering used oil from the local pub for ages, it goes through a pillow case comes out golden!

Hi TonyN,

Is that fairly light use WVO? Do you filter the thick, gloopy, white stuff that settles at the bottom too, or do you just use the top layer?

I was going to use the 'Jeans' method (old pair of levis with the legs zip-tied at the hem, then pour the WVO in, then hang it from the ceiling and let it drip out)

I wasn't sure how well this would filter though. Do you change your fuel filter quite often?
                            Just Vegging Out

Comment

all my old jeans have got a knee out... should i just use the good leg?
                              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X