Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by da SLUG man
    what diff lock have you got?

some are auto, some air powered and some electronic.

I haven't as far as i know. A mate said it might have so thought i would ask

Comment

Originally posted by Nismo
      doubt it, if there's no switch.
      Ato lockers will make a ratcheting noise on corners and the tyes might skip... there might be a pipe of wire leading into the diff.

you could have an LSD though!!... hehehe!!
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by Nismo
        Your mate was probably thinking about the diff locks on other 4WD vehicles, such as l**d R****s.

They are in permanent 4WD, and when the going gets tough, the centre diff can be locked to increase traction.

On the Surf (2nd Gen), it's normally 2WD. Stick it in 4WD, and it's the same as a l**d R***r in diff lock. That's why you shouldn't use 4WD on the road, or other non-slippy surface..
        It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
          Your mate was probably thinking about the diff locks on other 4WD vehicles, such as l**d R****s.

They are in permanent 4WD, and when the going gets tough, the centre diff can be locked to increase traction.

On the Surf (2nd Gen), it's normally 2WD. Stick it in 4WD, and it's the same as a l**d R***r in diff lock. That's why you shouldn't use 4WD on the road, or other non-slippy surface..
          but LR drivers don't understand the un labelled red and yellow knobs and just say "Fnar Fnar... i have a diff lock on mine... don't you??"

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
            but LR drivers don't understand the un labelled red and yellow knobs and just say "Fnar Fnar... i have a diff lock on mine... don't you??"
            That's the problem with 'the great unwashed'!!
            It just does, OK?

Comment

That makes a lot of sense Thank you for i am a

Comment

right, can someone give me an idiots guide to diff locks.

in my 2nd gen when i put it into 4wd it locks the centre diff?

this making it the same as a landy. i always thought they had a front or rear locker.

what happens when you lock the centre diff?

i realise that if you have a front or rear locker and you lock say the front both wheels turn at the same speed even if one of them are off the ground.

so if the centre diff is locked you can still get cross axled and go nowhere?

sorry for all the questions but i cant get my head round it.

thanks again scotty

Comment

Originally posted by scotty

this making it the same as a landy. i always thought they had a front or rear locker.

i realise that if you have a front or rear locker and you lock say the front both wheels turn at the same speed even if one of them are off the ground.

sorry for all the questions but i cant get my head round it.

thanks again scotty

2nd gen doesn't have a diff lock, cos it has no diff
                  the front and rear props are locked together so they turn the same...

if you got a diff in there then you can turn corners easier without having tyre scub or trans wind up.

3rd gen is more similar to a LR cos it has the option of 4wd with open diff

Comment

Originally posted by scotty

No. It hasn't got a centre diff.

Only if fitted after market.

Nope. Still haven't got one!

A locked centre diff (or no diff, like a Surf) will always permit one wheel on each axle to drive.

With a land rover drive set up, 4WD, if just one wheel is lifted off the ground, all forward motion is stopped. The wheel in the air just spins.
                    Now, lock the (centre) diff.
                    This will force at least one of the wheels on the other axle to turn, thus providing motion.

If one wheel on each axle is in the air, then all motion is stopped again. Unless you have an LSD, or aftermarket 'diff lockers'.

HTH.
                    It just does, OK?

Comment

One thing still confusing me, do all 2nd gens with a rear LSD also have front LSD? Or what does it got at the front? I know about the ADD but does it work as an open diff or LSD? and therefore what oil do i put in it?

btw Axle code ends in 5, can't remember the rest of it but i'm sure its a 5 at the end.
                      =========
                      =SOLD UP!=
                      =========

Comment

Don't know the answer to that!!!
                        It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                          One thing still confusing me, do all 2nd gens with a rear LSD also have front LSD? Or what does it got at the front? I know about the ADD but does it work as an open diff or LSD? and therefore what oil do i put in it?

btw Axle code ends in 5, can't remember the rest of it but i'm sure its a 5 at the end.
                          the ADD disconnects the drive from the wheel (kind of) so that you don't get undue wear on the drive train.

LSD only on the back usually...

Comment

No. It hasn't got a centre diff.

Only if fitted after market.

Nope. Still haven't got one!

A locked centre diff (or no diff, like a Surf) will always permit one wheel on each axle to drive.

With a land rover drive set up, 4WD, if just one wheel is lifted off the ground, all forward motion is stopped. The wheel in the air just spins.
                            Now, lock the (centre) diff.
                            This will force at least one of the wheels on the other axle to turn, thus providing motion.

If one wheel on each axle is in the air, then all motion is stopped again. Unless you have an LSD, or aftermarket 'diff lockers'.

HTH.
                            cheers dave, its all a bit clearer now.

thanks again scotty

Comment

Originally posted by nero279

NO LSD in the front diffs just a normal open diff, The ADD is just a join in the driveshaft on one side of the diff, its nothing to do with the diff. Its what lets you switch to 4wd while moving, without it you'd get all sorts of banging and grinding, this way the when you select 4wd, the transfer case can engage, and get itself sorted out without the front wheels driving the diff round, then the collar (the ADD bit) slides over to join the two hafts of the driveshaft and give you drive to the front axle.
                              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I am completely lost. Im just gonna forget i've got 4wd

Comment

Working...
                                X