Diff Lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diff Lock

hi. i'm currently lookin at a Surf 2.4 on a K plate. just wondering what the 4wd options are. is there diff lock? if so is it just to front or back or both. any info much appreciated. many thanks.
    www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Originally posted by smithsurf
    hi. i'm currently lookin at a Surf 2.4 on a K plate. just wondering what the 4wd options are. is there diff lock? if so is it just to front or back or both. any info much appreciated. many thanks.
    nope, no diff lock... but some have optional LSD
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

No diff lock, as such, but no front diff, so the fronts are locked whenever in 4wd.
      It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
        No diff lock, as such, but no front diff, so the fronts are locked whenever in 4wd.
        There is a diff in the front axle. Unless someone's knicked yours!
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Ah, so it must be that there's no diff front/rear then!
          It just does, OK?

Comment

there was an option for a rear diff lock, but they are rarer than the proverbial...

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
              there was an option for a rear diff lock, but they are rarer than the proverbial...
              cheers guys
              www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

but don't get confused if you're looking at motors with constant 4x4...
                surfs are 2wd with selectable 4wd... NOT 4wd with a diff lock like landrovers / rangerovers

Comment

Andy's right- I saw one on 1992 2.4L SSR-G once while I was looking to buy a Surf. It was a Toyota factory option but sadly very few Japanese ordered it. I guess anyone wanting the difflocks and stuff just bought a Landcruiser Prado or a bigger Landcruiser.

Comment

For entertainment value, I have been trying to track down the part number for it on the EPC... with no success so far... just to see how much it would be through a local toyota dealer...

They are solenoid operated... so you can manually engage or disengage it, if it gets wrecked. Plenty of sites in the US do bash plates for the solenoid...

Comment

How would you know if you have a diff lock??? What does it look like???

Comment

Originally posted by Nismo
                        How would you know if you have a diff lock??? What does it look like???

You'll see a switch for it either on the dash or near the gearstick.
                        The actual diff lock is inside the diff, so you can't really see it.

Comment

Some info from an american site - its about a 3rd gen but I think the gist of it applies

http://www.sonoransteel.com/phong/re...ic_locker.html

have a wander around http://www.sonoransteel.com - there are some excellent build up articles with loads of pics and projects galore.
                          Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Cheers guys. Is there a manual way of setting the diff lock???

Comment

Originally posted by Nismo
                              Cheers guys. Is there a manual way of setting the diff lock???
                              what diff lock have you got?

some are auto, some air powered and some electronic.

Comment

Working...
                              X