Sat Nav, Your View's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, my two-penneth worth.

I work as a driver, collecting and delivering vehicles for a car body shop (glamourous, I know, but I don't give autographs ). I've use a couple of SatNavs, and by far the best I've used is the TomTom Go. Clear, easy to use, simple to operate, quick to warn of traffic and speed cameras (I sometimes collect Porsches and things, so that's quite handy!). I bought the GO 300 before the ONE came out, and after reading reviews I'd recommend the ONE, as it's cheaper, smaller and works better than the 300.

I've also used TomTom on my Nokia 7610, which still works well, but the small screen and lack of 'prod-screen' interface doesn't work as well. But the nav is spot-on, as long as you get a decent Bluetooth GPS receiver.

I used a Garmin... something... But it got me lost twice so I gave it back to the guy from Chrysler.

I tried a SmartNav in a new Cherokee I picked up. But they charge you a subscription, and only give voice directions (some models have screens, I'm told). You have to phone an operator through the system too, and tell them where you're going. TomTom only charge for using the traffic update service and certain other 'Plus' services.

Oh, and I have no shame in saying I have zero sense of direction, can't read a map, and I'm hopeless asking for directions. A GPS is a godsend for me. Not only in my job, but it's great when I go surfing (the watersport type, not the internet-browsing type, or the imported Toyota truck driving type) I can find the most hidden breaks and odd little villages, and it gets me home again (all the way to Oxford).

All in all, get a TomTom ONE, and never get lost again!
    _______
    /_/ _ | 0\__
    \,...__,..._ /
    _(o)__(o)_

Comment

I use one of these. Never malfunctions, works in tunnels and it dosen't need batteries!
      I bought it on-line from Amazon for £6.99
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ecosurf
        Right, my two-penneth worth.

Oh, and I have no shame in saying I have zero sense of direction, can't read a map, and I'm hopeless asking for directions. A GPS is a godsend for me. Not only in my job, but it's great when I go surfing (the watersport type, not the internet-browsing type, or the imported Toyota truck driving type) I can find the most hidden breaks and odd little villages, and it gets me home again (all the way to Oxford).

All in all, get a TomTom ONE, and never get lost again!
        Cheers, The ONE sounds like what i'm looking for, I'm the same when it comes
        to asking directions, The times i've stopped to ask, been told and did'nt
        realey understand them, But did'nt like to say so in case they though i was
        thick (which i am) shot off and asked someone else, That happened a lot
        when i was emergancy plumbing especially at night, Where was Tom Tom
        then? Regards Ian
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

:
          Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          I use one of these. Never malfunctions, works in tunnels and it dosen't need batteries!
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Plus it's really handy if you get lost at night, coz pulling up at the kirbside to ask for directions from young ladies hanging around on street corners raises some eyebrows.
            _______
            /_/ _ | 0\__
            \,...__,..._ /
            _(o)__(o)_

Comment

Originally posted by ecosurf
              Plus it's really handy if you get lost at night, coz pulling up at the kirbside to ask for directions from young ladies hanging around on street corners raises some eyebrows.
              eyebrows! - is that right?
              Dave

Comment

I use my works PDA with a Bluetooth satelite receiver with a cracked copy of TOM TOM 5 its great for me.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosinDevon
                  Sat Nav...... waste of money unless you own a boat.

I can drive to anywhere in the country, using roadsigns only, all I need is a rough pointer from someone, " its near where ?", and I am off.

Why do you need sat nav in a boat, all sea looks the same!

TomTom on a PDA, go for an XDA2 and a brodit speaker mount. As the XDA has a phone as wel it will also get traffic info off of the internet. If you want the cherries on the top get a "Parrot" bluetooth carkit with build in sat nav antenna. I just got an XDA exec and so far I am not too impressed so save money and get the older version.

Trouble is with maps is reading them and driving, read this post http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18724 some no good copper will nick you for driving and looking at a map.
                  Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                    Ha, on the miles you do, you could just tie a peice of string to your Sofa and follow it home.

Comment

I thinkm they are a waste of money, unless you drive all over for a living, and even then they can be a nightmare, especially if you drive a truck like me, and it doesn't know the height and weight limits. They are everywhere now.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
                        I thinkm they are a waste of money, unless you drive all over for a living, and even then they can be a nightmare, especially if you drive a truck like me, and it doesn't know the height and weight limits. They are everywhere now.
                        Unfortunatly the Poi`s for weight limits have not been created but there is a POI for bridges it stands at 2000 bridges and growing
                        Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
                          well i dont, if i get rid of mine me and the witch would be at each others throats again
                          we think there great, but terrie says wish it was blokes voice not a girl
                          Enjoying Life after Cancer
                          Pops

Comment

Originally posted by pops
                            well i dont, if i get rid of mine me and the witch would be at each others throats again
                            we think there great, but terrie says wish it was blokes voice not a girl

I had the girls voice on mine it was useless, "turn left", "no the other left" had me driving round in circles for weeks!
                            Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Good thread this, I have learn't a lot from it. Still need to chat to someone and see how they work first though, I was ok up to the bluetooth etc
                              Time flies like a bullet,fruit flies like a banana

Comment

Originally posted by TJG
                                Why do you need sat nav in a boat, all sea looks the same!
                                That's exactly WHY you need one- because it does all look the same! Best thing ever invented for steaming straight to wreck sites for diving/fishing or finding your crab pots! Good to have GPS in fog too.

Comment

Working...
                                X