No announcement yet.

Sat Nav, Your View's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gps? its like asking for directions! (just bitter cos i cant justify a toy- i never go anywhere!)
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Medieval Dave
      See how the Testosterone feuled ego's come in...

I don't want a convenient satnav....I can navigate to moscow using only a postcode, stopping only to service the truck using only a swiss army knife I won from a mongolian strongman in an arm wrestling contest, and to beat a wild boar to death with my little finger to make my bacon butties....

Well you could, but I preffer to do things the easy way.
      Navigating with a map IS easy - although a compass helps
      Other than that, I'm a wimp - I use a normal set of tools to service the truck, and i need both hands to beat the wild boar to death, and I draw the line at skinning it with my teeth
      Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Originally posted by pops
        nothing to do on a long journey now
        Drink tea!!
        Originally posted by Draig
        hell, I even found Linda and Tony's house with it!
        i know where it is and still can't find it!
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainBeaky
          Navigating with a map IS easy - although a compass helps
          Other than that, I'm a wimp - I use a normal set of tools to service the truck, and i need both hands to beat the wild boar to death, and I draw the line at skinning it with my teeth

I navigate by the sun and the stars and a wet finger. sometimes I stop near some trees and look for some moss.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            I navigate by the sun and the stars and a wet finger. sometimes I stop near some trees and look for some moss.
            Yes, but that's only to determine which side of the tree to p*** against.

And let's not go into the wet finger bit...
            Peter

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainBeaky
              Yes, but that's only to determine which side of the tree to p*** against.

And let's not go into the wet finger bit...
              i hate to think what he will do with the moss
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                i hate to think what he will do with the moss
                That's an image I could have done without at lunchtime
                Peter

Comment

Go for a tom tom.. they are a lot cheaper now... I have a tom tom 500 and wouldn't be without it!! It has never got me lost, it always finds the right address (so long as i key the right address in!) when going through tunnels it uses a "ASN" signal, whatever that is.. basically it still knows where it is, it connects to my phone via bluetooth and automatically avoids road closures and traffic, it knows where all the speed cameras are (through a poi download regulary updated). I have it placed on the windscreen right above the drivers side (nearest door) air vent and can see it fine

Wouldn't be without it!!
                  Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

I run TomTom 5 on a PDA with speed (sorry saftey) cameras, so I know where there is likely accidents, and I find it is like having a local sitting beside you knowing all the little back roads. Also when travelling the North York moors use the "most direct route" function and you end up on some interesting roads.
                    I ran with maps and street atlases for years (used to work in alarm response), but my bag was getting too heavy, also a map os useless if you don't know where you are. It was one of the vest gadgets I've ever bought, and because I got a PDA it doesn't just get used as a map, I use the exel, the voice recoder for notes, the MP3 player, it holds photos etc.
                    But I don't need it to find Linda and Tonys, I just get in the truck and say home truck, it knows the way!
                    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Well quite a responce! Thanks for the informative remarks (and the other ones), Yes i suppose if its down to common sence its not worth the money, for me anyway,
                      But if we were ruled by common sence we would'nt be driving these diesel
                      guzzeling monsters were so pasionate about, Anyhow how did we get from
                      sat nav to killing wild animals? and vince weeing all over the countryside (and)
                      on his finger)hehe, Im a gaget nutter so what the hell, See if they got a
                      tom tom 300 on the the wife's mail order club, Cheers All.
                      PS still waiting for me blue star Koi.
                      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

If I want to have sat nav on my pda, what additional things do i need to buy?

Comment

Also, I have a garmin etrex legend that I use for trekking. Is it possible to use this as antenna for the pda?

Comment

Originally posted by ferretmanabu
                            If I want to have sat nav on my pda, what additional things do i need to buy?
                            www.pdamods.com do cradles that can incorperate a gps receiver or there has just been released a SDIO card with a receiver and 512Mb Ram on it for this purpose...

If a handheld GPS has NMEA output on the unit it can be adapted for a receiver but to be honest you are going to have wires everywhere....

www.pocketgps.co.uk is the best source of info
                            Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Originally posted by mark g8awo
                              www.pdamods.com do cradles that can incorperate a gps receiver or there has just been released a SDIO card with a receiver and 512Mb Ram on it for this purpose...

If a handheld GPS has NMEA output on the unit it can be adapted for a receiver but to be honest you are going to have wires everywhere....

www.pocketgps.co.uk is the best source of info
                              I've just tried using my emap with autoroute 2006 on my laptop but find that the position indicator on the map is 70 yards out and it keeps telling me that I'm off route so up to now it's been a failure.
                              I've e-mailed garmin to see if there is anything I can do about it as it also happens on the handheld itself but its not so much of a problem there.
                              Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

well i`ve just ordered my pda sat-nav from dell..i know a couple of work colleagues who have them and they seem ok..i went for the pda cos it does more than just sat-nav as mentioned before...just hope santa brings it in time for xmas !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X