Help ! Haunted rear window ???? :wacky:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help ! Haunted rear window ???? :wacky:

the weirdest ting happened tis morning...I finished a 12 hr night shift, came out tot he car park and found my rear windown wide open....I ran around the back thinking some scally had broken in only to find the window nicly tucked in its recess in the door.... ...I got in the car as i needed to go home and sleep badly, and found that it wouldnt go up using the button on the gear box turret.

I got out and tried using the key - nothing....just a noise that sounded like twanging the tab on a can of coke...

I got in the front and made for home and now and again when I pushed the up button and the window went up down up down up and up and down and then down and stayed down. I managed to drive the 50 40 miles home and not get gassed by opening all windows in the car...

When home I got someone to push the up button while pushing the window by hand. Got it up and took the main fuse out so I could sleep without worrying....

Any ideas on what this could be ? solenoid or motor or just a dodgy conn ? where to start ?

many thanks...

Ron.
    Nili secundum desperandum

bump

anyone ?

I've read most of the posts about the rear window thing and would i be on the right track thinking up relay buggered ?

off to maplins in anycase....need the surf badly but cnat drive it like this with a 3 month old in the back ! lol...

cheers.
    r

Comment

Could be a dodgy connection somewhere, possibly on the circuit board?
      Or maybe an intermitant connection where the wires 'flex' near the tailgate hinge.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        Could be a dodgy connection somewhere, possibly on the circuit board?
        Or maybe an intermitant connection where the wires 'flex' near the tailgate hinge.
        Cheers bushwhacker...

I'm off downstairs to pull things appart and see if anything obvious is damaged.

the console and key switches seem to be fine...its the self downing window when the car is parked and keyless or being driven that puzzels me. the only thing I cazn think of to cause that is the relay or cct brd as you say....

regds.Ron.

Comment

It's most likely circuit board related then, 'cos the ingition needs to be on to activate the rear window!

Comment

Originally posted by FlySurfer - Edy.
            the weirdest ting happened tis morning...I finished a 12 hr night shift, came out tot he car park and found my rear windown wide open....I ran around the back thinking some scally had broken in only to find the window nicly tucked in its recess in the door.... ...I got in the car as i needed to go home and sleep badly, and found that it wouldnt go up using the button on the gear box turret.

I got out and tried using the key - nothing....just a noise that sounded like twanging the tab on a can of coke...

I got in the front and made for home and now and again when I pushed the up button and the window went up down up down up and up and down and then down and stayed down. I managed to drive the 50 40 miles home and not get gassed by opening all windows in the car...

When home I got someone to push the up button while pushing the window by hand. Got it up and took the main fuse out so I could sleep without worrying....

Any ideas on what this could be ? solenoid or motor or just a dodgy conn ? where to start ?

many thanks...

Ron.

Have a look here mate. It happened to me too.
            http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...window+mystery

I 'm convinced that heavy rain caused a short in the barrel on the tailgate. Take it all apart and dose with WD40.
            Last edited by Pete; 10 December 2005, 12:32.

Comment

cheers for the replies guys.

went to give her a good car wash and the window stayed up...
              got her home and decided to disassemble the tailgate and cct brd and inspect...

i hear relays clicking most of the time on the left side when facing the windsheild...and the window motor is hot...

i have doesed with wd but the hot motor and clicks are worrying...

going to look for the cct brd now...

Comment

Originally posted by FlySurfer - Edy.
                cheers for the replies guys.

went to give her a good car wash and the window stayed up...
                got her home and decided to disassemble the tailgate and cct brd and inspect...

i hear relays clicking most of the time on the left side when facing the windsheild...and the window motor is hot...

i have doesed with wd but the hot motor and clicks are worrying...

going to look for the cct brd now...

Gain access to the tailgate lock barrel. Take the plastic shield off, and clean the microswitch which is on the end of the barrel. If this switch is dirty it can stick, causing the window to try and close when already closed, or open when already fully open etc.
                pete

Comment

Cheers for thaty Pete - on the list for tomorrows play.

i changed the relays - both of the blighters and the surf lead me to beleive that all wa well as the window opened and closed like new....

so got the child and wife and went to asda. got out of asda only to find a fully open rear window......again.....arrrgghh .

So we drove home with a freezing little sausage as all the windows had to be opened again ! i was thinking about how the hell i was going to secure te car as we live on a bust city center road.....so i rocked the switch like it was a casbah - nothing except the pings of the relays on both open and close pushes. just as i was suspectin the motor I thought to grb te underbody part of the harnaess and give it a god wiggle - presto - the window closed on the switch...

so i have taken the main fuse out for the night and will resume wranglings on tomorrow...

does it sound like aloose wire or something along those lines ? also how do you get that little harnes cover off - you know the black one with 2 screws on the bottom left of the inside of te tailgate where the harness enters the gate ? I did the screws and tried to prize it off but no joy...

Thanks a million guys the advise is really appreciated and if i get this sorted - i'll defo pay up as a group member as this advice is worth a million ...

Regds.

Ron.

Comment

seems like it may well be the key switch as after getting really intimate with the inards of the tailgate, i decided to dis the key sw. and see if the windown stays up .. dont know if it'll work but one thing at a time eh ?

you know maybe i'm soft but that plastic loom cover at the mase of the tail gate where the loon enters the tail....took me ages to figure out how to get that off ... in the end there are two screws that go thru the body into some plastic blocks....once the screws are removed all you need to do is squeeze the blocks and presto - had me going barmy that one !

off for some dins now...

Comment

Twas the micro switch on the end of the tailgate key barrel - total cost from toyo - 15 squid inc VAT....

thanks for all the suggestions !

Comment

Working...
                      X