Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power loss on my 2l surf

hi guys,
    just had a problem with a leaky injector pump and had it fixed. i dont know what the freaks did but now the truck is hell slow with reduced power and is also smokes like hell. you think the injector is screwed? pls help.

Originally posted by otobi
    hi guys,
    just had a problem with a leaky injector pump and had it fixed. i dont know what the freaks did but now the truck is hell slow with reduced power and is also smokes like hell. you think the injector is screwed? pls help.

What colour smoke... smoke and power loss is a sign of bad head day
    Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

thick black smoke when i rev

Comment

thick black smoke when i rev
        found this on a quick search:-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Simon_OFI
        When you start her she is good as gold, but upon starting (hot or cold) after a few hundred yards she feels like she is losing power and great plumes of black smoke billow from the exhaust.

If you idle when this is happening the ilde goes up and down, sometimes bad enough to stall the car.

Usually after a mile of so the black smoke stops and normal power resumes.

I had the exact same thing happen with my engine and this is what I found. In the air intake piping, where the EGR pipe meets the turbo air, just before the intake manifold, there is a flap-type valve (God knows why it it there) that can completely block the air from the turbo. It is operated by a 2" vacuum solenoid immediately in front of it. When your engine starts going up and down at idle check and see if this valve is cycling open/closed. If so, there are two vacuum lines going to the actuator. Disconnecting the lower vacuum line should keep the valve open all the time. I see no reason why you would want to block air from your turbo so I just plugged the vacuum hose and left it off. Haven't had a problem since.

Good Luck,

Paul

Might be worth doing the egr mod and see if it helps - do a search for egr on here and you'll see how to do it -

Reason i say this is it takes 5 mins and only costs a cable tie!

Good luck

Joe

Comment

am not exactly a techie but will try it out though. if you have any snap diagrams you could it shoot it across. reckon it would help me loads. thanx anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Simon_OFI
          When you start her she is good as gold, but upon starting (hot or cold) after a few hundred yards she feels like she is losing power and great plumes of black smoke billow from the exhaust.

If you idle when this is happening the ilde goes up and down, sometimes bad enough to stall the car.

Usually after a mile of so the black smoke stops and normal power resumes.

I had the exact same thing happen with my engine and this is what I found. In the air intake piping, where the EGR pipe meets the turbo air, just before the intake manifold, there is a flap-type valve (God knows why it it there) that can completely block the air from the turbo. It is operated by a 2" vacuum solenoid immediately in front of it. When your engine starts going up and down at idle check and see if this valve is cycling open/closed. If so, there are two vacuum lines going to the actuator. Disconnecting the lower vacuum line should keep the valve open all the time. I see no reason why you would want to block air from your turbo so I just plugged the vacuum hose and left it off. Haven't had a problem since.

Good Luck,

Paul

Might be worth doing the egr mod and see if it helps - do a search for egr on here and you'll see how to do it -

Reason i say this is it takes 5 mins and only costs a cable tie!

Good luck

Joe[/QUOTE]

Comment

Have a look at this picture

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/att...achmentid=2565

As you can see... just pull the pipe off, bend it in half and cable tie it

this thread will expalin more

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...hlight=egr+mod

Comment

also check to make sure that the egr valve isnt sticking,you can do this from underneath the valve just push it up and down a few times.or you can completely block it off by making a plate that fits across the manifold.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
                also check to make sure that the egr valve isnt sticking,you can do this from underneath the valve just push it up and down a few times.or you can completely block it off by making a plate that fits across the manifold.
                might bee a stupid question... why make a plate when cable tieing it does the same thing???

Comment

hi guys,
                  Did you fix it yourself, or take it to a garage? If the pump was removed to fix the leak, then it sounds like the timing hasn't been lined up correctly. If the belt is one or two teeth out, it will give the exact symptoms you are describing.
                  Jez

Comment

yeah took it to a garage. just dropped the truck there a while ago. the mech says he gotta adjust the nozzles and the turbo valve. dont know but i just gotta wait i guess.

Comment

yeah took it to a garage. just dropped the truck there a while ago. the mech says he gotta adjust the nozzles and the turbo valve. dont know but i just gotta wait i guess.
                      If it wasn't doing it before the pump was played with, it shouldn't need much else doing to be honest, Sounds like they got something wrong putting it back together.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

you right. gonna wait n see how the truck performs after the adjustment. my guess is i have to prepare to fix another pump. damn the stuff costs a bit down here.

Comment

Working...
                        X