Anyone tried these veg oil kits:

http://www.dieselveg.com/prod01.htm

price-out about £475

inlcudes dual tanks, preheaters, solenoids, heat-exchangers

are they worth it, as not too expensive,
    and you can run 100% veg oil
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

I would also check out elsbett - they have conversion kits which don't need a second tank.. although they are ~£650.

Comment

if your any good at diy check out here http://vegoilconversions.netfirms.com/
      also google frybid v-good site he`s a english guy who now lives in seattle

Comment

Hi Andy,

I purchased and fitted one of these kits myself about three months ago. Kit is fine and the whole thing works a treat.

I posted a thread a just after fitting with an attachment showing the steps taken to fit it (inc pics). Search through my threads and you'll find it (don't know how to put a link in to another thread).

Incidentally, your quote is a fair bit cheaper than what I paid (and I got some discount), although I did get a few extras like a fuel level sender and fuel gauge and a 70ltr tank.

If you're going down this route, the most important thing to check out is that you have a viable source of veg oil. Getting veg oil from the supermarket is a real b@lls ache if your doing a reasonable amount of mileage. I'm currently buying veg oil from CostCo in 20ltr drums, and I've got a 1,000 litre bulk container in my garage. I'm doing just over 2,000 miles a month so a 1,000 litres lasts me about two months. The biggest problem I'm having is getting shut of the empty metal drums. The local tip let me take them there so long as I only take small quantities. First time I went, the guy nearly died when I uncovered my trailer that had about 20 drums in! Has anyone found a way of crushing the drums to make them smaller? I'd even thought about driving over them?

Re the questiion: is it worth while? The answers got to be yes, despite what I've just mentioned. Even though I've only been using the kit for a short while, it's already not far off having paid for itself. To boot, I'm seriously considering selling my other car (Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI) since my surf now costs around the same to run (did I remember to declare all of my veg oil last month?).

Finally, just imagine how big the smile gets as you drive past all of the filling stations! Diesel round my area has reached £0.95 a ltr. I've only had to fill up once in about two months.

If you want to ask any questions please drop me a PM and I'll send you my mobile.

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards,

Rob
        Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

I'm thinking of giving this a go

So go on, motivate me - how much a liter is costco veg oil?

Comment

43 p. you know you want it....
            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

do you not find it a pain switching over all the time from beg to diesel?
              also, do you have pump or suchlike to fill up and what happens when your on a reaaaally long journey?
              Tim
              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

No pain having to switch over. Just makes me happy thinking how much money I'm saving!

Haven't really done much in the way of reaaallllyyyy long journeys yet, but on the one occassion that I did I slapped a tin of CostCo's finest in the back and just poured it in when I was down to about a quarter full!

Push come to shove, I guess I could put some dino diesel in if I had to, but up to press I haven't!

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                  43 p. you know you want it....
                  I'm coming to live in your shed Chillitt. I'm paying 44p at my CostCo!

Comment

ah. ok well its 43 in tescos....
                    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by nednil
                      No pain having to switch over. Just makes me happy thinking how much money I'm saving!

Haven't really done much in the way of reaaallllyyyy long journeys yet, but on the one occassion that I did I slapped a tin of CostCo's finest in the back and just poured it in when I was down to about a quarter full!

Push come to shove, I guess I could put some dino diesel in if I had to, but up to press I haven't!
                      I suppose for journeys for a couple of miles theres no point even switching?
                      Tim
                      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

One sticking point I have at the moment....

How do you avoid returning veg oil to the diesel tank and thus polluting the diesel ? Actually - if using a diesel start up tank you'd return deisel tot he veg oil tank wouldnt you ? is that a problem at all ?
                        Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

you hav two 3 way valves, when on veg the return goes into the veg tank when on diesel it switches back.

Comment

Can veg oil be pumped through a petrol engine?
                            Is there any way to do so? (besides replacing the engine!)

Comment

Is there anyway to pump veg oil through a petrol engine?
                              Is it possible to modify the engine so it can run on both? (wthout replacing the engine!)

Comment

Working...
                              X