Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Diff Flange Movement

Hi,
    I have just removed both of the front drive shafts in order to replace all CV boots and bronze bushes.

Whilst doing this I noted that the driver's side flange, on the shaft which enters the front diff, has a fair bit of up-down/side-side movement/play. Despite this slackness there are no signs of oil leakage around the shaft/seal. The passengers side has no discernable movement.

Having surveyed this site in some depth it appears that many members have noticed the same thing and sought advice. The tendency has been to assume that something is worn, such as an oil seal or bearing but I am not so sure. If this play is often found then it is either a common problem which requires repair OR it is normal and if all vehicles were checked they would all display the same characteristics.

Does anybody have a view on this subject and is there anyone who knows the definitive answer (i.e. an experienced Toyota mechanic/enthusiast)?

As this is a common concern an informed opinion could help a number of members both now and into the future.

Many thanks to all who contribute to this thread
    Brian
    Brian

Like yourself I noticed this, searched on here and asked advice. didnt really come to a conclusion whether to fix bearings or seal. No leaking so have left it. Also i have fitted manual freehubs now anyway to save any potential further wear.
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Comment

Hub Movement

I looked on the Australian site yesterday and there were several members reporting the same amount of movement on the same front diff flange (UK Drivers side). One member said that he had got underneath an almost new Surf and the play/movement was basically the same, so it must be "factory slop".

I will be replacing the hub inner and outer bronze bushes as the outer ones seemed quite slack but I also read that there is an amount of slack from new to allow the grease to circulate around the area. Question is 'how much slack is normal'? Anyone know?

Brian
      Brian

Comment

not sure on the bronze bushes

but I think youre right about the factory slop in those flanges - i never checked the aussie site for that one.

but I also recently checked the front driveshaft flanges on my AWD subaru forester and it similary had slack where the flange goes into diff/gearbox
        the back diff was also similar

PS - whereabouts are you in Cornwall. just back from holiday in cornwall/devon, stayed 1/2-way between launceston/liskeard.
        saw quite a few surfs around. but took the subaru down there as at 33 mpg and petrol costing 5 ppl less than diesel it was cheaper than taking the 4runner on those 1500 miles!!
        Last edited by andycook; 7 August 2005, 18:52.
        Landcruiser Colorado
        Sub. Forester

Comment

Andy

I live in a small village near Callington, which is 11 miles from Launceston and 8 miles from Liskeard. If you were half way between both you must have been fairly near!

Brian
          Brian

Comment

yep, we went through Callington nearly everyday!, on way from Bathpool/Henwood 'ish area where we stayed, on way to Dartmoor for some mountain biking. brother got married in Tavi which was main reason we were there. Got through 2 casks of jail ale at the wedding...
            Landcruiser Colorado
            Sub. Forester

Comment

I may be wrong here, but dont some vehicle have semi or floating shafts?
              Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Panrixx
                Andy

I live in a small village near Callington, which is 11 miles from Launceston and 8 miles from Liskeard. If you were half way between both you must have been fairly near!

Brian
                Hi brian
                mines the match of yours except Mreg and auto
                we must be close as i am in tavy
                give us a
                tony
                Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                Tony

Comment

I've been reading up on this thread as I think my truck has this problem, but I;m not sure. I had an intermittent metalic noise, sometimes triggered by breaking a bit harder than normal, but not always caused by this. It sounded a bit like someone crushing tinfoil, but very loud obviously. Have taken it to a mechanic who has put it up on ramps.The seals and bearings are all in tact. The flange does have up and down movement but with a lever he pushed the flange back to the diff by approx 10 mil and the up and down sloppiness went. He seem to think there should be something that retains the flange to the diff, a circlip for example. Is this so? Because the mechanic has been unable to get any info he is reluctanct to start work, and I miss my truck.

Thanks for reading this and I appreciate any replies.

Andrea
                  Andy (the girly)
                  What YOU want something THAT big for???!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bladebabe
                    He seem to think there should be something that retains the flange to the diff, a circlip for example. Is this so? Because the mechanic has been unable to get any info he is reluctanct to start work, and I miss my truck.

Andrea
                    Yes, there is a circlip that holds the shaft in. they all wobble up and down, but there shouldn't be much in and out movement 2-3mm is the spec. When the seal starts to leak is the time to replace it, apart from that they are normally OK.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thank you Tony. Can you recommend anywhere to sorce circlip and any other bits possibly needed to repair this? any sizes. specs etc. I did try Milners Offroad but they had not heard of this problem and couldnt help at all.
                      Andy (the girly)

Comment

Originally posted by Bladebabe
                        I've been reading up on this thread as I think my truck has this problem, but I;m not sure. I had an intermittent metalic noise, sometimes triggered by breaking a bit harder than normal, but not always caused by this. It sounded a bit like someone crushing tinfoil, but very loud obviously. Have taken it to a mechanic who has put it up on ramps.The seals and bearings are all in tact. The flange does have up and down movement but with a lever he pushed the flange back to the diff by approx 10 mil and the up and down sloppiness went. He seem to think there should be something that retains the flange to the diff, a circlip for example. Is this so? Because the mechanic has been unable to get any info he is reluctanct to start work, and I miss my truck.

Andrea

Sorry about this reply, but it has to be said....

There is nothing I love more than a lady who know's what she is talking about when it comes to trucks and mechanics.

Sounds like you love to get all greased up??

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
                          Sorry about this reply, but it has to be said....

There is nothing I love more than a lady who know's what she is talking about when it comes to trucks and mechanics.

Sounds like you love to get all greased up??

Smiling, not sure if that was sarcasm or genuine, but either way made me smile. I love getting muddy too x
                          Andy (the girly)

Comment

have'nt seen you on here in a while andrea.hope all is well
                            colin

Comment

All this talk of flanges, muddy and greasy girls...

Off to run a cold bath!
                              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                              X