Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVA Questions

Hi folks,
    Just about to prep my new toy for SVA, can I pull on experiences to clarify some points please - this is a 1996 :-

1) Do I need a gearbox for speedo cable or a chip to alter KPH -> MPH ?

2) I understand I need rear reflectors? What size and location should these be please?

3) I have the window deflectors, I would rather not remove these. Will I get picked up on them? I dont think they are sharp, but............Should I stick some rubber trim along the exposed edges?

Just to clarify I also believe I need to do the following, have I over looked or missed anything please?

1) Remove rear tyre/carrier

2) Check for sharp edges

3) Check for loose wiring and secure

4) Remove the turbo timer and remote start

5) Rear Fog light

6) Depending on speedo option a MPH sticker over the KPH

Rgds and thanks

Ant

1996 SSR-G 3.0 TD Intercooled
    1996 SSR-G 3.0 TD Intercooler
    Mazda Rotaries too!

Hi

Before you go for the sva, you will have to purchse a steering report if your car is a 1996 (£50+Vat) as well as a model report @ £250+vat if it is a 1997 onwards.
    [IMG][URL=http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a167/s

Comment

Originally posted by sajjap
      Hi

Before you go for the sva, you will have to purchse a steering report if your car is a 1996 (£50+Vat) as well as a model report @ £250+vat if it is a 1997 onwards.
      Thanks Sajjap,
      The SVA company is arranging the steering report - I should have mentioned that! Also I thought of 2 other things, typical :-

1) Do I need to remove the little wing mirror

2) I know I need to fill any holes with grommits

Many thanks

Ant
      Mazda Rotaries too!

Comment

If the wing deflectors are the original Toyota ones they will be fine as they are, the reflectors need to be of a sensible size and stuck to the rear bumper.
        ionic SURFactant

Comment

Originally posted by steved
          If the wing deflectors are the original Toyota ones they will be fine as they are, the reflectors need to be of a sensible size and stuck to the rear bumper.
          Yup they are the original Toyota ones.
          Great, so there is no specific positioning for the rear reflectors?

Rgds

Ant
          Last edited by db2boy; 16 July 2005, 11:47.
          Mazda Rotaries too!

Comment

Pointers

From my own experience.....

I had to take the 'sharp' edges off my original wind deflectors where they come down to meet the door. There must be a 1mm edge all the way along.

Fog light wiring must be secured to the wiring loom / bodywork at least every 30cm / 12 inches. Where it goes through the bodywork it must pass through a rubber grommet. Where it exits the bodywork and is longer than 30cm it must be secured and it must also be within a protective 'sheath'.

The rear wheel had to come off and all holes filled with grommets.
            The catch where the carrier fits into the door must have no sharp edges either (I had to put a 1mm radius on the edges)

The front wing mirror had to come off and holes filled with grommets. This was only on a MK3 though. It was due to a small curved radius on the mirror cover. Fine on a MK2 mirror.

If you've had an alarm fitted then the wiring must be secured every 30cm too.

Put the reflectors on the bumper, as long as they are no more than 90cm (I think it was 90) from the ground they should be ok.

Remove any turbo timer.

Remove any front fog lights and remove any wiring for them too.

Remove any external wiring, aerials, TVs etc.

Take it in with a full tank of diesel. It may not need the brake test if the jap de-reg certificate says it meets EU standards. If it needs the brake test and the tank isn't full you'll have to have it re-tested.

I replaced the fascia plate for the speedo and then tested it with a GPS to make sure it was reading right or at least under the actual speed. Net result is that I'm doing 29mph when the car reads 30mph. When it reads 70mph I'm actually doing 65mph. As long as it reads over the actual speed (i.e. your speedo says you going faster than you are) you'll be ok.

I think that was about it for me. The tester I had is notorious about following things to the letter. Your tester may not be so stringent.

HTH

Rob.
            Last edited by robinbooth; 16 July 2005, 12:12.

Comment

Originally posted by robinbooth
              From my own experience.....

I had to take the 'sharp' edges off my original wind deflectors where they come down to meet the door. There must be a 1mm edge all the way along.

Fog light wiring must be secured to the wiring loom / bodywork at least every 30cm / 12 inches. Where it goes through the bodywork it must pass through a rubber grommet. Where it exits the bodywork and is longer than 30cm it must be secured and it must also be within a protective 'sheath'.

The rear wheel had to come off and all holes filled with grommets.
              The catch where the carrier fits into the door must have no sharp edges either (I had to put a 1mm radius on the edges)

The front wing mirror had to come off and holes filled with grommets. This was only on a MK3 though. It was due to a small curved radius on the mirror cover. Fine on a MK2 mirror.

If you've had an alarm fitted then the wiring must be secured every 30cm too.

Put the reflectors on the bumper, as long as they are no more than 90cm (I think it was 90) from the ground they should be ok.

Remove any turbo timer.

Remove any fog lights and remove any wiring for them too.

Take it in with a full tank of diesel. It may not need the brake test if the jap de-reg certificate says it meets EU standards. If it needs the brake test and the tank isn't full you'll have to have it re-tested.

I think that was about it for me. The tester I had is notorious about following things to the letter. Your tester may not be so stringent.

HTH

Rob.
              Rob,
              This is excellent info, many thanks. Sod's law says that if I dont follow everything to a T then I will have the strictest tester in the world! Starting the work today, although still need to find :-

1) If I need gearbox or chip to change my odo to miles
              2) Rear reflectors (stick ons)
              3) MPH sticker to cover the KM

My local motor factors are useless

Thanks

Ant
              Mazda Rotaries too!

Comment

Just added some more info about the speedo etc.

As for the reflectors. Try Ebay. Halfords didn't have any when I went in, neither did the local motor discount store.

As a precaution I sanded down the edges on my reflectors too. They were rectangular and I was scared incase the SVA tester saw the potential for someone to loose a finger on the sharp edge!!

Comment

Originally posted by robinbooth
                  Just added some more info about the speedo etc.

As for the reflectors. Try Ebay. Halfords didn't have any when I went in, neither did the local motor discount store.

As a precaution I sanded down the edges on my reflectors too. They were rectangular and I was scared incase the SVA tester saw the potential for someone to loose a finger on the sharp edge!!
                  Yeah halfords didnt even have any rear fog lights, I picked up a cheapy one from motor factors to hang down from rear of truck for the moment. Good idea Ill check EBay - doh didnt think of that yet!

I have tried to find a speedo face but I cant find one that matches my current JDM one! I also read that some of the replacement ones let the light through in different amounts and dont match the rest of the dash?

Rgds

Ant
                  Mazda Rotaries too!

Comment

These are the best place for speedo faces.

http://www.importedvehicles.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                      These are the best place for speedo faces.

http://www.importedvehicles.co.uk/
                      Thanks, Ive now taken the speedo unit of the dash out and its not cable driven. I have asked them if they can supply a speedo face to match mine (the other ones Ive found dont 100% match) or to supply a chip and MPH sticker to do the conversion.

Thanks

Ant
                      Mazda Rotaries too!

Comment

Working...
                      X