No announcement yet.

black smoke and first surf owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which oil you use depends a grate deal on how long it stays in the engine, cheap turbo diesel oil will be absolutely fine if you change it about every 3 months even if you see 30K miles a year. If you only do 6k miles a year and don’t want to change the oil more than once a year, buy a GOOD fully synthetic DIESEL oil. I’ve worked on engines from Keith Black Hemi’s that were rebuilt every weekend to Cummins diesels that were overhauled every 1.5 million miles and the thing that kills them all is leaving the oil in too long. If you have a fleet of big diesels you pay to have the oil analysed and change it when told to, the rest of us are better off changing it regularly regardless of mileage.

I prefer Feu Orange

Comment

I've always tended to use th Castrol Magnatex products (GTD in the case of the surf). The 3000mile service tends to come around every 6 months for me. However it cost me around £35+ for the stuff at last service. Might just stick to cheaper oils and service every 4 months.

My air freshener is a small wooden surf board with 'Surfin' written on it. Saw it and just couldn't resist.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by BigPoppa
        * I use the STP Diesel fuel Injector cleaner once every 2 months. I wait till the tank is just under a quarter and chuck the whole (250ml) bottle in. Run it for about 10 miles and then top up with Diesel.
        * I use Vauxhalls 10/40 Semi Synthetic oil, which comes in about £12 for 5 litres. Ive noticed that the coolant gauge sits slightly higher than when it did when i was using the same grade Morris Oil, but it sits there and doesnt go any higher so it cant be too bad. Ive always used Semi in turbo'd vehicles as most Petrol Turbo engines use the oil as a bearing substitute in the turbo housing.
        * I also like the Vanila Magic Tree
        Thanks bigPoppa
        i have put redex cleaner in, is STP Diesel fuel Injector cleaner better .
        Regards
        Kev.
        2.4 black beast

Comment

Thanks to evryone for your help.
          I have just baught 10 ltr's of t.d oil made by carlube
          from sutton auto factors.
          not synthetic ( well it doesn't say so anyway )
          cost £7 each so hopefully should be o.k for 5000 mile's
          Attached Files
          Regards
          Kev.
          2.4 black beast

Comment

Originally posted by falconer
            Thanks to evryone for your help.
            I have just baught 10 ltr's of t.d oil made by carlube
            from sutton auto factors.
            not synthetic ( well it doesn't say so anyway )
            cost £7 each so hopefully should be o.k for 5000 mile's
            That should be 5,000km, well that's what the service schedule say's that I posted some time ago.

http://www.yotasurf.com/Andy/974.1.M...urf_3.0(1).xls

Comment

Originally posted by Bikenuts
              Which oil you use depends a grate deal on how long it stays in the engine, cheap turbo diesel oil will be absolutely fine if you change it about every 3 months even if you see 30K miles a year. If you only do 6k miles a year and don’t want to change the oil more than once a year, buy a GOOD fully synthetic DIESEL oil. I’ve worked on engines from Keith Black Hemi’s that were rebuilt every weekend to Cummins diesels that were overhauled every 1.5 million miles and the thing that kills them all is leaving the oil in too long. If you have a fleet of big diesels you pay to have the oil analysed and change it when told to, the rest of us are better off changing it regularly regardless of mileage.

I prefer Feu Orange
              "....Kieth Black hemis rebuilt every weekend"............ Now that takes me back a few years to my Santa Pod days!

Mmmmmmmmmmm, now there's a thought, Surfs doing the quarter mile. I wonder............!

Cheers, Nick
              "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Originally posted by ant
                I've just put in Screwfix oil for Turbo Diesel Engines at £6.99 for 4.5L (although you do have to pay around a fiver for handling but this is a one off payment so it's worth buying other stuff at the same time like injector cleaner or more than one can of oil).
                I read that as long as the oil reaches the british standard spec it's fine as it will have the anti-wear etc additives as standard and at these prices you can afford regular oil changes.No problems with black smoke either.
                Get your filters etc from Milner off road (you probably knew that already)
                Good luck

Ant.
                Ant, I just did a search and found the screwfix site - just about the best I've seen so far for basic bits and bobs. Got myself the same oil, seems good deal. So cheers for the tip

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyJ
                  Ant, I just did a search and found the screwfix site - just about the best I've seen so far for basic bits and bobs. Got myself the same oil, seems good deal. So cheers for the tip
                  Nice one m8
                  Glad to see this thread is helping others as well
                  (it's good to talk)
                  Regards
                  Kev.
                  2.4 black beast

Comment

Nice one m8
                    Glad to see this thread is helping others as well
                    (it's good to talk)
                    hi have any of you guys tried a product called fuel set.i swear by it.not only does it clean fuel systems but it removes water from the fuel permanently.just pour some in the tank and away you go.it may cost a bit but it really is good stuff.
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
                      hi have any of you guys tried a product called fuel set.i swear by it.not only does it clean fuel systems but it removes water from the fuel permanently.just pour some in the tank and away you go.it may cost a bit but it really is good stuff.
                      Hi vatchman
                      Ya got a link so we can check it out m8.
                      Regards
                      Kev.
                      2.4 black beast

Comment

where does the water go then?
                        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Hi vatchman
                          hi falconer.i havnt got a link.i dont know how to put one up.computer illiterate you see.but if you type in fuel set on a search engine it should take you to a web site i hope.failing that most yacht chandelry will sell it.they use it all the time in boating,it kills the dreaded diesel fuel bug to.
                          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                            where does the water go then?
                            i believe the water is chemicaly broken down.the fuel bugs main source of food is water so take that away and the bug dies.it will also remove the horrible brown sludge at the bottom of your tank.
                            www.overfab.uk

Comment

Hi vatchman
                              try this.www.liquideng.com.au/fuelset.html
                              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
                                Thanks m8 got some reading to do see ya l8ter.
                                Regards
                                Kev.
                                2.4 black beast

Comment

Working...
                                X