Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black smoke and first surf owner

o.k
    I got my new surf 2 weeks ago and only got it on the road last week because of sorting evrything out as ya do.

On start-up i noticed black smoke but was later told by people its normal and not to wory.

but when going to work even at normal running temp i get more smoke when i put the foot down and started to notice people backing away from me, or i have a 2.4 rocket ship (think its the former on that one tho lol).

I have put some red X injector cleaner in 2 days ago but doesn't seem to be making any diff. I.E ( reccomended dosage )

I haven't had her serviced as yet but got a filter kit on order and should be here by tuesday they said and as for oil i have now decided to go with CASTROL GTD MAGNATEC.

I have also been reading about the EGR unit and that disconecting the pipe might stop it from smoking but it hasn't and i'm now realy starting to get worried i have got a nail.

could it just need the service,please help
    kev.
    Regards
    Kev.
    2.4 black beast

I would have thought the ERG mod should have worked, but it may be a 'clogged' injector or two. Run the tank right down before adding the whole bottle of injector cleaner then give it a good blast. I did this two or three times and it does work.

As far as the oil goes, I believe Tony N has recently said, don't need to go for anything that costs and arm and a leg, just an oil that meets the required spec, and there are plenty that are cheaper than the Magnetec,

Cheers, Nick
    "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nick V
      I would have thought the ERG mod should have worked, but it may be a 'clogged' injector or two. Run the tank right down before adding the whole bottle of injector cleaner then give it a good blast. I did this two or three times and it does work.

As far as the oil goes, I believe Tony N has recently said, don't need to go for anything that costs and arm and a leg, just an oil that meets the required spec, and there are plenty that are cheaper than the Magnetec,

Cheers, Nick
      thanks for that nick but when you say give it a good blast do you mean O.D off and sports mode on??
      Regards
      Kev.
      2.4 black beast

Comment

Originally posted by falconer
        thanks for that nick but when you say give it a good blast do you mean O.D off and sports mode on??
        Can do, anything that will get the revs up more than the usual crawling around town,

Cheers, Nick
        "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

i think the technical term for clearing the pipes through is 'drive it like you stole it'... have fun!
          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
            i think the technical term for clearing the pipes through is 'drive it like you stole it'... have fun!
            think i get the drift m8, just hope it works,
            have to wait tho just fill'd it to the brim.
            Regards
            Kev.
            2.4 black beast

Comment

think i get the drift m8, just hope it works,
              have to wait tho just fill'd it to the brim.
              That'll be a trip to the shops and back then... ;-)
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                That'll be a trip to the shops and back then... ;-)
                How bloomin far are your shops???
                Mine does around 380 miles on a tank just pottering about.
                It did 450 going to cardiff and back with a tad bit of weight in it.
                Back in the world of Surfdom

Comment

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...74673&ts=24621
                  I chucked some of this in the tank, didn't do a thing on the tank full I used it in, but half way through the second tank full I blacked out half of the M6!!
                  Now I chuck some in every time I go on the motorway, I just love the look on their little faces as the world in front of them vanishes in a puff of black!
                  Back in the world of Surfdom

Comment

O.k it would seem there is a lot of personal choice regarding
                    What oil to use,
                    Some people do seem to favor a cheaper alternative to say GTD magnatec,
                    and do more regular changes (O.K GREAT).
                    I have also read that some people say to use semi synthetic oil (WHY).
                    As a new surf and diesel owner i wish people would say what cheaper brands they are using and weather they are semi synthetic or not and even if it matters as it would really help people like me understand.
                    I am at the moment after reading nearly all the posts on oil and changing very very confused and don't know what to buy for the best.
                    Please be patiant whilst i'm learning guys
                    thanks
                    kev.
                    Regards
                    Kev.
                    2.4 black beast

Comment

given that every one seems to use something different, then you shouldnt go to far wrong with any of em!
                      i use dirt cheap turbo diesel oil from motor world... but would use any dirt cheap turbo diesel oil from anywhere(tescos, etc.)
                      if it was stopping in there for modern intervals i might spend a bit more.. then again..
                      not using semi synthetic cos its dearer!
                      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

My tesco do oil cheap.
                        But was told using cheap oil would make the surf smoke.
                        But using something like GTD has some addertive in it to combat smoke is this true
                        Regards
                        Kev.
                        2.4 black beast

Comment

oil

I've just put in Screwfix oil for Turbo Diesel Engines at £6.99 for 4.5L (although you do have to pay around a fiver for handling but this is a one off payment so it's worth buying other stuff at the same time like injector cleaner or more than one can of oil).
                          I read that as long as the oil reaches the british standard spec it's fine as it will have the anti-wear etc additives as standard and at these prices you can afford regular oil changes.No problems with black smoke either.
                          Get your filters etc from Milner off road (you probably knew that already)
                          Good luck

Ant.

O.k it would seem there is a lot of personal choice regarding
                          What oil to use,
                          Some people do seem to favor a cheaper alternative to say GTD magnatec,
                          and do more regular changes (O.K GREAT).
                          I have also read that some people say to use semi synthetic oil (WHY).
                          As a new surf and diesel owner i wish people would say what cheaper brands they are using and weather they are semi synthetic or not and even if it matters as it would really help people like me understand.
                          I am at the moment after reading nearly all the posts on oil and changing very very confused and don't know what to buy for the best.
                          Please be patiant whilst i'm learning guys
                          thanks
                          kev.
                          Last edited by ant; 27 June 2005, 21:55.

Comment

Originally posted by ant
                            I've just put in Screwfix oil for Turbo Diesel Engines at £6.99 for 4.5L (although you do have to pay aroung a fiver for handling but this is a one off payment so it's worth buying other stuff at the same time like injector cleaner or more than one can of oil).
                            I read that as long as the oil reaches the british standard spec it's fine as it will have the anti-wear etc additives as standard and at these prices you can afford regular oil changes.
                            Get your filters etc from Milner off road (you probably knew that already)
                            Good luck

Ant.
                            yeah thanks ant filters should be here from milner tuesday hope.
                            Regards
                            Kev.
                            2.4 black beast

Comment

What I Use...

* I use the STP Diesel fuel Injector cleaner once every 2 months. I wait till the tank is just under a quarter and chuck the whole (250ml) bottle in. Run it for about 10 miles and then top up with Diesel.
                              * I use Vauxhalls 10/40 Semi Synthetic oil, which comes in about £12 for 5 litres. Ive noticed that the coolant gauge sits slightly higher than when it did when i was using the same grade Morris Oil, but it sits there and doesnt go any higher so it cant be too bad. Ive always used Semi in turbo'd vehicles as most Petrol Turbo engines use the oil as a bearing substitute in the turbo housing.
                              * I also like the Vanila Magic Tree

Comment

Working...
                              X