Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You all know if this gets up and running YOU WILL BE SHAFTED FOR EVER MORE

Comment

lets face it mr brown's not gona bring in less tax.
      i certainly don't want the government knowing what speed i'm doing at four in the morning coming home from nights!

as for them snooping on emails/mobile phone calls i fully believe they can,but call me naive , but with the volume of emails/call and number of phones i don't see how they can be checking/listening to them all,monitoring for key words maybe but if they've now interest in you why bother?
      Diesel, like petrol only better

Comment

Originally posted by Draig
        on-line petition against the road tax replacement to pay per mile

http://www.petitiononline.com/roadtax/

just had this in an e-mail.
        done mine
        Enjoying Life after Cancer
        Pops

Comment

Originally posted by openback
          as for them snooping on emails/mobile phone calls i fully believe they can,but call me naive , but with the volume of emails/call and number of phones i don't see how they can be checking/listening to them all,monitoring for key words maybe but if they've now interest in you why bother?

It's ALL recorded and scanned automatically - anything 'interesting' is then presented for further investigation.

I'm not into conspiracy theories I just know people who've worked in interesting places .....

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob

It's ALL recorded and scanned automatically - anything 'interesting' is then presented for further investigation.

I'm not into conspiracy theories I just know people who've worked in interesting places .....

i wouldn't dispute this, i'm just saying that with the volume of records they compile every hour let alone day, they cant have enough staff to read/listen to all of the mundane dross that most law abiding people produce.
            maybe we should try to crash the system, by all, and everyone we know, sending spurious "interesting" emails at the same time?
            Diesel, like petrol only better

Comment

I believe that the software they use has a fancy algorhythm that picks up on combinations of key words - one or two wouldn't cause any problems but more than that would be flagged for special attention.

If you've seen the size of GCHQ at Cheltenham you'll begin to understand - and there's other sites too ....

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by truckarms
                I know this is probably going to p155 a few people off and I do think its not very fair on people who do a lot of miles.
                But for joe public I dont think its that bad an idea, infact the best bit about it would be that your engine size does not effect how much you pay. therefore a 3.0ltr v6 would be paying the same per mile as a smart car. Obviously fuel consumption would be different but I think that is a personal choice.
                Paying per mile or paying per ltr/and road tax whats the difference as long as they dont do both I dont think its that bad a thing.
                I also have 3 cars and so paying 3 lots of road tax is very annoying as I can only drive one (and the wife can do the same, with the 3rd living in the garage). Therefore again I see the new system as an advantage.

As I said at the start it wont be fair for everyone, haulage guys etc will get stung, the fact that the goverment will be able to track you all the time is also a bad thing and the fact that speeding will be impossible is also not a good thing but I would rather have fewer taxes (fine you pay more in each tax but I hate paying so many different things when they all end up in the same place mr browns pocket)

Just my opion to start a monday morning!!!!!
                Like I said in the other post, it could work well in theory, but the biggest flaw is how many times do you break the speed limit every day, even a little, or late at night, the possability for raking in speeding fines is endless.
                There is no incentive for using greener (cheaper,) fuels like at the moment if you scrap the duty on fuel, so its not enviromentally motivated that I can see.
                Anyone who thinks they will make it cheaper for the majority is living in a dream world, and the toll charges will be totally unfair, 100% for sure, this is the UK!!!!
                Everyone quoted in the making of this scheme seems to live and work in London, has plenty of money to pay the fees for when they drive (or get driven) to the golf club on weekends, etc, and has no idea about life outside the city, where you don't have a bus or tube every 3 mins to live you daily life.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Oh good, so Mr Average does 12,000 miles a year and drives a little 1.2 Punto because its cheaper on tax, does 40+ to the gallon.
                  Mr above average also does 12,000 miles a year and drives a Mercedes SL500 AMG, pays higher tax band and does about 12mpg.
                  Both will now end up paying the same for their 12,000 miles a year, yeah sounds really good to me.
                  Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                  My choice
                  Back off

Comment

Like I said in the other post, it could work well in theory, but the biggest flaw is how many times do you break the speed limit every day, even a little, or late at night, the possability for raking in speeding fines is endless.

Perhaps thats the whole point! if,
                    as i suspect, most of us who drive regularly go over the speed limit even by a small amount every day.
                    So....after about 6 months there will be so few people left with driving licenses....hey presto no more congestion!!
                    mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                      Oh good, so Mr Average does 12,000 miles a year and drives a little 1.2 Punto because its cheaper on tax, does 40+ to the gallon.
                      Mr above average also does 12,000 miles a year and drives a Mercedes SL500 AMG, pays higher tax band and does about 12mpg.
                      Both will now end up paying the same for their 12,000 miles a year, yeah sounds really good to me.
                      point is both could end up with a bill for £12k at the end of the year depending on when and were they drove... evean a surf doesnt cost £1 per mile to run evean with fuel duty as it is now... so they are going a bit over the top just to stop some roads getting clogged up...

Comment

AND if you got to fit a box with gps techie bits in it that spots every time you speed, it might as well have an extra wire to cut the engine if you do speed... purely to save on fines, of course....
                        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                          AND if you got to fit a box with gps techie bits in it that spots every time you speed, it might as well have an extra wire to cut the engine if you do speed... purely to save on fines, of course....
                          like I said, what happens if my box "breaks"
                          Tim
                          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

probably nothing as long as its 'fixed' in th same place its 'broken'...
                            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                              like I said, what happens if my box "breaks"
                              At the end of the day it's an electronic device, and without doubt someone would figure a way around them. I have this vision of little black boxes wired to car batteries, sat on peoples drives, while the cars are on the motorway!
                              Or 'news breaking' that hackers have 'cloned' the boxes, and someone else pays their bill!
                              Pete

Comment

Come on, Gordon Brown's got to have some way of raising the revenue to pay all the public sector workers inflation proof index linked pensions for all these new bureaucrats he's created in the last 8 years. Why do you think so many speed cameras are around. Police pension fund needs topping up obviously. They way they're going, some poor sod in 20 years time is going to have to work 36 hours a day, 10 days a week, just to earn enough to pay all the taxes need by the rest of the population who either work for the government or sponge off the rest of us. Roll on the revolution.
                                Mike G

Comment

Working...
                                X