• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pay per mile petition

on-line petition against the road tax replacement to pay per mile

http://www.petitiononline.com/roadtax/

just had this in an e-mail.
    Dave

I know this is probably going to p155 a few people off and I do think its not very fair on people who do a lot of miles.
    But for joe public I dont think its that bad an idea, infact the best bit about it would be that your engine size does not effect how much you pay. therefore a 3.0ltr v6 would be paying the same per mile as a smart car. Obviously fuel consumption would be different but I think that is a personal choice.
    Paying per mile or paying per ltr/and road tax whats the difference as long as they dont do both I dont think its that bad a thing.
    I also have 3 cars and so paying 3 lots of road tax is very annoying as I can only drive one (and the wife can do the same, with the 3rd living in the garage). Therefore again I see the new system as an advantage.

As I said at the start it wont be fair for everyone, haulage guys etc will get stung, the fact that the goverment will be able to track you all the time is also a bad thing and the fact that speeding will be impossible is also not a good thing but I would rather have fewer taxes (fine you pay more in each tax but I hate paying so many different things when they all end up in the same place mr browns pocket)

Just my opion to start a monday morning!!!!!

Comment

its nice to have a choice on what you drive, but given the noise about saving the planet, it could be considered irresponsible of a government not to encourage the use of more green transport, and as this will be the only choice we have in this fabulous new scheme, it shows the wrong headed nature of blairs leadership, thrashing about desparate to find some 'monument' to the years of missed opportunities self-agrandisment and pocket lining.
      if the queen had anything about her, she would chuck em all out...
      to the tower!
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

I agree for those with a few vehicles it might be better, it might be better for most people if all fuel tax is removed, I probably will spend 3k this year in fuel (guesstimate).
        But I simply do not want to be tracked all the time for speed/location etc etc, not that im always speeding but Its a complete invasion of privacy to be tracked by others and I dont like it!

What would happen if my black box "broke"?
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by truckarms
          infact the best bit about it would be that your engine size does not effect how much you pay. therefore a 3.0ltr v6 would be paying the same per mile as a smart car.
          So no incentive to drive greener vehicles then and protect the environment - we'll just all jump in gas guzzlers!

Paying per mile or paying per ltr/and road tax whats the difference as long as they dont do both I dont think its that bad a thing.
          As long as it is the same!!!
          Also the system of making it more expensive to drive on main routes like M25 at busy times will just drive traffic onto the minor, cheaper routes.

I also have 3 cars and so paying 3 lots of road tax is very annoying as I can only drive one (and the wife can do the same, with the 3rd living in the garage). Therefore again I see the new system as an advantage.
          In theory I agree, but we'll have to wait and see if it does work out cheaper in the long run.

As I said at the start it wont be fair for everyone, haulage guys etc will get stung, the fact that the goverment will be able to track you all the time is also a bad thing and the fact that speeding will be impossible is also not a good thing but I would rather have fewer taxes (fine you pay more in each tax but I hate paying so many different things when they all end up in the same place mr browns pocket)
          Mr Darling does say there would be special rates for road transportation so haulage shd be ok.
          The personal freedom thing is a big issue for me - however with the number of camera's, radars, and gps satelites being used already the government could track most of us today fairly well if could get organised enough to do so. Would be interesting if someone took the human rights issue to the EU court though.....
          In pure theory there are some advantages to paying this way, but you just know it will never be revenue neutral and we'll all end up paying more.
          Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

That petition is really poor - diesel is spelt incorrectly and they lie about the fuel duty - it s around 45p on a litre of fuel not 90% which they are quoting...

How can you take them seriously when they can't even get the simplest facts right?

Comment

going back to the paranoid bit, cant we be tracked by mobile phones now anyway (or is that just me watching too much sky one!!!!).
              I agree with just about everything written here, I dont know what to do, will probably do nothing just like i did in the election. Sat on my arse and dreamed about what to put on my surf next!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chunkymonkey
                That petition is really poor - diesel is spelt incorrectly and they lie about the fuel duty - it s around 45p on a litre of fuel not 90% which they are quoting...

How can you take them seriously when they can't even get the simplest facts right?

you,re right!!

diesel = 90p per litre(avg)

fuel duty = 45p per ltr

fuel duty = 100%

ship

Comment

Originally posted by chunkymonkey
                  they lie about the fuel duty - it s around 45p on a litre of fuel not 90% which they are quoting...

?
                  I've seen all sorts of figures from 45% to 90% quoted. Anyone know the definitive number?

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Yes, you can be tracked by mobile phone to within a reasonably small area. And GCHQ are probably listening in to all your phone conversations anyway (and probably all e-mails as well) so they've already got you well covered anyway.
                    Mike G

Comment

Its all down to statistics...

fuel duty is 45p out of the 90p you pay - which depends how you look at it is 50% of the cost of the fuel to you... or 100% of the cost of the fuel...

Comment

just accept your wrong!!!

Uncle sam is watching you

Comment

Could someone please clarify what is going to happen to fuel/road tax?Some reports say it is going to be abolished,others say it is only going to be reduced,which one is it?If these taxes are going to be abolished,I'm all for the new pay per mile scheme as it would cost me less as I do 90% of my driving on rural roads(£0.02/mile),but if on the other hand these taxes are only going to be reduced,then they can shove it where the monkey shoved its nuts!Also who is going to foot the bill to have the sat nav installed,and how much(roughly)will that cost?
                          Last edited by RobD; 13 June 2005, 17:55.