No announcement yet.

Veg oil fuel ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bugger all that!... i'm gonna stick veg oil in the truck and keep the diesel for the surf!! $$$£££$$$ kerrCHING!
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Now that is a good enough reason to go back to HGV driving
      How much!

Comment

Originally posted by FlySurfer - Edy.
        Dude, respect to you and all but I sure do hope that HM isnt reading this ! LoL.

Of course HM Inspector of Taxes is or will be aware. Keeping track of all veg oil used. .

Used oil filter down to 5 microns at minute seems to be ok, bit more of a smell that fresh but as I do a lot of m/way long distance work its not to noticeable.
        Dave ssrx 3.0td Ltd auto Gen2

Comment

Originally posted by ssrx
          Of course HM Inspector of Taxes is or will be aware. Keeping track of all veg oil used. .

Used oil filter down to 5 microns at minute seems to be ok, bit more of a smell that fresh but as I do a lot of m/way long distance work its not to noticeable.
          if you see a bright yellow truck/van in your area signwritten
          SAFETYKLEEN
          chat him up.{not like that] the filters they use in there machines go to
          2micron's
          Enjoying Life after Cancer
          Pops

Comment

Sorry been so long since last report, been busy.

Still running 50/50 mix and all going well, little bit of a smell but nothing to drastic. Fuel/oil bill down by £80 pw and falling, once recycled oil kicks in will fall loads more.

Will report further
            Dave ssrx 3.0td Ltd auto Gen2

Comment

steve ssrx
              i have been watching you, [no not like that]
              i have been watching and waiting with antisipation your -posts on the
              progress of your veg-oil trails.
              i have come to the descision it is time for me to cash in on the obvious
              money savings to to made here.
              what do i need to do to set my surf up for the veg-oil experiance.
              Pops

Comment

Originally posted by popbriscoe
                steve ssrx
                i have been watching you, [no not like that]
                i have been watching and waiting with antisipation your -posts on the
                progress of your veg-oil trails.
                i have come to the descision it is time for me to cash in on the obvious
                money savings to to made here.
                what do i need to do to set my surf up for the veg-oil experiance.
                Go for it Pops,
                I'm still using the vegoil with no ill effects since starting this around april.

Veg-on
                Maurice
                Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
                  Go for it Pops,
                  I'm still using the vegoil with no ill effects since starting this around april.

Veg-on
                  thinks i will, wot doineed todotoset surf up to take it?
                  and what ratioshould i start with?

pops
                  Pops

Comment

thinks i will, wot doineed todotoset surf up to take it?
                    and what ratioshould i start with?

pops
                    Unless you want to run on close to or 100% veg-oil or waste veg-oil you should not need any mods at all.

Just add the new oil to the tank (preferably near empty) top up with Diesel to mix and away you go.

As to ratio, the highest vegoil content I've used was 66%, currently using 0% since running out of fuel yesterday! but next refill I'll be putting anywhere from 30-50% in, depending on how much oil I've got in the shed. You can get away with higher ratios in the summer as there is no risk of the veg-oil gelling at low or sub-zero temperatures.

I'd sugest starting off around 20-30%. The veg-oil can loosen crude from the bottom of your tank (altough I had no problems with this) and if this happens it may lead to your filter clogging. Best to change your filter before you start and carry a spare. after a few tanks if you're happy take it up to the 30-50% mark. Come summer you can take it even higher, beyond 66% has not been tried to my knowledge in the surf, indeed I'm the only one I'm aware of that has taken it this high, but other makes have coped with greater percentages, its all about experimentation!

You should also take some time to do your own research using some of the links posted earlier in this thread, or elswhere on the net.

Good luck Veggin, and let us know how you get on.
                    Last edited by Morr; 3 December 2003, 09:23.
                    Maurice

Comment

Unless you want to run on close to or 100% veg-oil or waste veg-oil you should not need and mods at all.

Just add the new oil to the tank (preferably near empty) top up with Diesel to mix and away you go.

As to ratio, the highest vegoil content I've used was 66%, currently using 0% since running out of fuel yesterday! but next refill I'll be putting anywhere from 30-50% in, depending on how much oil I've got in the shed.

I'd sugest starting off around 20-30%. The veg-oil can loosed crude from the bottom of your tank (altough I had no problems with this) and if this happens it may lead to your filter clogging. Best to change your filter before you start and carry a spare.

You should also take some time to do your own research using some of the links posted earlier in this thread, or elswhere on the net.

Good luck Veggin, and let us know how you get on.
                      should i change fuel filter first?
                      Pops

Comment

should i change fuel filter first?

would do no harm, better safe than sorry as they say.
                        Maurice

Comment

would do no harm, better safe than sorry as they say.
                          ok thanks buddy.
                          one more question and i'll leave you to get on.
                          where do i buy fuel filter from?
                          Pops

Comment

I haven't been back to this thread for a while. Good to see the progress being made. I am only dabbling at the moment, throwing in the odd 5 gals, but it is hard work pouring it into the filler from the drum.
                            Im seriously considering fitting a second tank in the void where the spare wheel carrier used to be. I could then start on deisel and switch over to vegoil when the tank has reached a sufficient temperature.
                            The vegoil tank could be heated by modifying the exhaust system. I wonder if thats the way to go? Could get an interesting exhaust note too!
                            It's only a hobby!

Comment

ok thanks buddy.
                              one more question and i'll leave you to get on.
                              where do i buy fuel filter from?
                              Here I can pick one up from any motor factors, I'm sure its the same in the UK, most people here seem to reccomend milners, I sure one of the others can point you in the right direction.
                              Maurice

Comment

Here I can pick one up from any motor factors, I'm sure its the same in the UK, most people here seem to reccomend milners, I sure one of the others can point you in the right direction.
                                thanks mate will get sorted and post when up and veggin
                                Pops

Comment

Working...
                                X