No announcement yet.

red diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The police were stopping cars at random on the Princess Parkway on the way into Manchester this morning, then pulling them into a small carpark with a fuel testing van parked up.

Swines.

Comment

interesting to see what the reaction would be to veg oil ay?
      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Draig
        interesting to see what the reaction would be to veg oil ay?
        Assuming of course that one had been naughty when filling up with veggie and failed to self-declare, then no doubt the same as to finding Red diesel (or Green as we have here) AFAIK Its the same offence, ie using fuel that has not had duty paid on it,
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Verbal
          Just out of interest, would a surf run off Kerosene?

As I have a spare 1000 litres kicking about next to the tank of red diesel
          Yes it would probably run okay (not that I know anyone who has tried...) but bear in mind it's just as illegal as runing on 'red'.

Comment

is it illegal to use red no matter what, or is it ok to use red provided you give your donation to the taxman.
            [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

It is illegal to run on red or green unless it is an agricultural vehicle or a construction vehicle (JCB Dumper). Even the Landrovers that farmers use should run on white unless they can get to all of their fields without using the roads so if you get caught with coloured diesal you only have yourself to blame and their is no loophole that i know of to get round it. The red does leave a stain in the system but it will flush through after a number of top ups of white. The ministry will look very dimly if you have it in the tank and jump from a great height i have heard of transport companies losing their operators licence over this matter.
              Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Originally posted by stara
                is it illegal to use red no matter what, or is it ok to use red provided you give your donation to the taxman.
                I believe it's illegal to use it on the road full stop, although when I worked on the farm as a school leaver, all the tractors ran on red and we used to take grain to the dryer 7 miles away. The route was all public roads. This was 30 years ago.
                My brother was telling me about a farmer friend who got nicked while delivering a trailer load of logs to a neighbour in the next village. The Ministry apes said that delivering logs is not an agricultural task. Does that mean farmers are now going to have to have seperate tractors for road use?
                Is taking stock to market agricultural use or not?
                What if you were using your Surf for a couple of days, on agricultural land, to move small trailers of cattle about and it was run on red for the duration of the task? The red was all used up but the stain remained. It would be very difficult to prove unless you kept meticulous records.

One thing is clear though. It's too risky to put it in your Surf!
                Last edited by kitesurf_phil; 2 March 2005, 17:57.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                  I believe it's illegal to use it on the road full stop, although when I worked on the farm as a school leaver, all the tractors ran on red and we used to take grain to the dryer 7 miles away. The route was all public roads. This was 30 years ago.
                  My brother was telling me about a farmer friend who got nicked while delivering a trailer load of logs to a neighbour in the next village. The Ministry apes said that delivering logs is not an agricultural task. Does that mean farmers are now going to have to have seperate tractors for road use?
                  Is taking stock to market agricultural use or not?
                  What if you were using your Surf for a couple of days, on agricultural land, to move small trailers of cattle about and it was run on red for the duration of the task? The red was all used up but the stain remained. It would be very difficult to prove unless you kept meticulous records.

One thing is clear though. It's too risky to put it in your Surf!
                  you have to have the vehicle registered for agricultural use... there are a whole load of restrictions... a lot of the "road leagal" quad bikes for sale are agricultural use only so you can get nicked for that too!
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                    you have to have the vehicle registered for agricultural use... there are a whole load of restrictions... a lot of the "road leagal" quad bikes for sale are agricultural use only so you can get nicked for that too!
                    I have heard a whisper that you can run diesels on heating oil. Is heating oil dyed? Shall we start a new thread? Maybe not as they have you every way possible.
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

I have heard a whisper that you can run diesels on heating oil. Is heating oil dyed? Shall we start a new thread? Maybe not as they have you every way possible.
                      the first ones ran on peanut oil apparently.

what an amazing coincidence though... Mr Diesel invents an engine, called a Diesel... lo and behold, when he tries running it... it only runs on Diesel too!!... that's more than chance in my mind!

Comment

I'm lead to understand it contains a dye that fluoresces under UV light.

More wisdom here:

http://www.sdc.org.uk/general/features/feature_fuel.htm

Comment

I believe it's illegal to use it on the road full stop, [color=red]color]
                          There is a whole lot of rules about what you can do with your farm tractor running on red etc. You are allowed to travle on public highways with red if you are going directly from one part of your farm to another, but there is a distance limit (I think maybe 2 miles) and its a lot less clear with farm 4x4's etc. If they are only used on the fields then they shd be ok - if they ever go on road they arnt etc etc. My farmer friend can recite all these rules verbatim... have to say I never paid much attention as I dont plan on running red.
                          Even when we do get a tractor it will be used for maintaining horse pasture. Horses are not classed as agricultural animals, and maintaining their pasture isnt an agricultural use so I couldnt even run red in a tractor legally.
                          Wonder if you can LPG a tractor... hmmm
                          Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                            There is a whole lot of rules about what you can do with your farm tractor running on red etc. You are allowed to travle on public highways with red if you are going directly from one part of your farm to another, but there is a distance limit (I think maybe 2 miles) and its a lot less clear with farm 4x4's etc. If they are only used on the fields then they shd be ok - if they ever go on road they arnt etc etc. My farmer friend can recite all these rules verbatim... have to say I never paid much attention as I dont plan on running red.
                            Even when we do get a tractor it will be used for maintaining horse pasture. Horses are not classed as agricultural animals, and maintaining their pasture isnt an agricultural use so I couldnt even run red in a tractor legally.
                            Wonder if you can LPG a tractor... hmmm
                            getting a tractor??... cool!... can i have a go?

Comment

Veg N Red

if they are testing for Red for obvious reasons are they looking for VEG etc as well ?
                              3RD GEN 3.0TD 1996 SSR-X BLUE OVER SILVER

Comment

I run a tractor on the road with red diesel every day. One farm is 9 miles away and the others are 4mls and 1ml away. I would say that it is legal as I'm going about farm business, sometimes hauling straw/silage. I think that if you are registered as a farmer and use a 4x4 for say, towing a trailer full of lambs to market you should be allowed to use red as my Surf sometimes does more farm work than the tractor.

Jacqueline

Comment

Working...
                                X