Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm considering one of these -

http://www.sub.net.au/~vwskay02/toy4.html

Expensive but a really solid Rear Bar with Spare Carrier and Towbar combined.Trying to find out if it is a full replacement bar or original side pieces are used.Have been told both by different people.

Neville

Comment

The Milner one is a replacement for the OE underslung one.

I love the idea of truckarms' replacement bumper/swing out carrier. Similar to this...

http://www.kaymar.com.au/toy4.html

and this...

http://www.bentup.com/RearBumpers.html

Problem is these are all US or Oz companies. God knows what shipping would cost. Mine is a 15-year-old car - even if I was let, I don't think I'd spend the money on a new rear bumper (and I'd have to have the matching front bumper too...) and swing out carrier.

When I win the lotto...

Or if I was brave/engineering & business-minded/had some investable money, I'd start producing/importing them myself and make my own €1m...
      :

Comment

As I said I am about half way through making mine, I based the initial supports off the chasis on the witter tow bar which I had on my car originally (I have the pdf of it if anyone is interested) I beefed up the original disign a bit, I am currently getting cut the next section of the brackets that go round so that the new bumper sits infront of the old bumper but a bit lower and then the next bit is how to attach the swing arm, I am thinking or either:
        a)Tire Carrier Spindle
        but its $90 plus p&P on top so not sure
        b) getting some bloke to make me one, cant be to hard to get someone with a lathe to do the spindle and I can find the rest like this guy has done tyre carrier Its just a shame he has not done the write up yet just the pics.
        I looked at getting one or 2 of the oz based carriers but they wanted nearly £800 for them to send them to the uk. Crazy
        So far I think I have spent about 40 quid on steel,bolts and cutting discs plus have had lots of help from chunkymonkey with the design.

Comment

what about getting yourself to a motorcycle breakers and using the stem/headstock off a moped? added bonus of easy to get replacement bearings...
          usually the stem can be removed from the bottom clamp ....
          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

good idea,
            Cheers, will have a look into that.

Comment

Cheers for the help guys, looking at the carriers from some of those sites. Have just spend ages drooling over the "customers rides" on that Bentup site. Excellent looking vehicles.

Comment

Have you taken a look at www.backrack.co.za? Maybe it'll give you some ideas.
                @africa4x4cafe
                [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

Working...
                X