Spare Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare Wheel

My spare wheel is located underneath at the rear. Ive seen some surfs with the spare mounted on the tailgate like most 4x4's. Can I get a kit or tailgaite to do this?

You need to get one off a SCRAPPER or off someone who is getting rid.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Why would you want to though?
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

I just think it looks better + its a hell of a lot easier to get to should i get a punture. So I need to get a whole tailgate?

Comment

Originally posted by RMS_CLK
          I just think it looks better + its a hell of a lot easier to get to should i get a punture. So I need to get a whole tailgate?
          not as much of a pain to get at than moving it every time you wanna put something in the boot!... rusty moved his for space to fit his LPG tank so he's probably the man to talk to.
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by RMS_CLK
            My spare wheel is located underneath at the rear. Ive seen some surfs with the spare mounted on the tailgate like most 4x4's. Can I get a kit or tailgaite to do this?

If you are looking to get rid of your underslung kit when done, let me know. I'm looking for an underslug kit to carry a second spare in addition to rear mounted one.
            Live for Today

Comment

Yeah sure, just as long as I can find a rear mounted one. Im gonna try a few scrappies, see what I can find.

Comment

i might be wrong but don't you have to take into account where the no.plate is situated with the reversing lights.the dealer i got my surf from wanted a rear mounted s/wheel carrier and he was told you cant get them because the no.plate is in the centre of the rear hatch and the carrier would cover it.
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Yeah noticed that, but then I just assumed you get a different hatch.

Comment

what will you do about the reversing lights
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Reversing lights shouldn't be affected, and you don't need a new rear door, you just remove the old plate and light unit, bolt on the carrier from your donour vehicle and get a square plate made up and rivet it into the gap to the left of the rear carrier. Only prob is if lighting the plate is still a legal requirement in the UK - it ain't here.
                      Attached Files
                      @africa4x4cafe
                      [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

oh yes we still need to light the number plates up at the rear./.... this mod sounds expensive already!
                        :P
                        Tim
                        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Spare wheel carrier for LN130 listed at Milners part no 002273G at £39, not sure if this the tailgate mount or underslung. Worth a phone call?
                          [SIZE=4][FONT=Century Gothic]I can fix it...it won't be cheap.........or pretty![/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Yes it is sounding more complicated than I first anticipated. Will give them a call and see what they say. I presumed I would have to change the whole tailgate for one with the space for the number plate + light on the left hand side.

Comment

Unfortunately there is no cheap way of doing it, I am in the process of making a rear carrier now for my 4 runner so that I can move the spare from under the car. I looked into doing what bundubasher did and it just got very messy so I am going down the road of something like this:
                              spare carrier
                              I will probably mount the number plate on the new rear bumper and attach a number plate lamp from
                              vehicle-wiring-products
                              Just in the process of getting the brackets etc cut at the moment, then the tricky bit is working on the swinging arm bit so that its strong enough, if you want more info let me know.

Comment

Working...
                              X