Anybody remember VHS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody remember VHS

Just watched a film on old VHS - think the film was called 'The Day After Tomorrow' .

Honestly though I couldnt believe it when I walked into the local vid shop tonite and there was only one small unceremonious section for VHS.

Have I missed the revolution or an ice age even???

The VHS video section is shrinking at an alarming rate round here too. We got a DVD player for Christmas and the price was about the same as two newly released VHS videos.

I still have a couple of Betamax vids round here somewhere.
    The only good news is that the vinyl section is growing in my local music shop. If only I could get some new Stanton 500 Styli for my decks!
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Let go guys the future is here...

back later lookng for my eight track at the mo...

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin-uk
        Let go guys the future is here...

back later lookng for my eight track at the mo...
        I had Emmerson Lake and Palmers - Brain Salad Surgery album on eight track..... Welcome back my friends
        to the show that never ends........
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
          The VHS video section is shrinking at an alarming rate round here too. We got a DVD player for Christmas and the price was about the same as two newly released VHS videos.

I still have a couple of Betamax vids round here somewhere.
          The only good news is that the vinyl section is growing in my local music shop. If only I could get some new Stanton 500 Styli for my decks!
          good styli! is it you cant get them or cant justify getting them?
          Tim
          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
            good styli! is it you cant get them or cant justify getting them?
            The real reason is that I just don't have room to set my decks up in the house anymore. I have just over 6000 7" Singles, around 1000 12" singles and over 700 LP's. I am seriously thinking of selling my vinyl and downloading all my music from the 'net, but as soon as I start sorting out the records, I just can't bring myself to part with them.

CDs and MP3 are OK, but the dynamic range of vinyl recordings is far better. The biggest problem with CDs is that the pictures aren't big enough
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

. The biggest problem with CDs is that the pictures aren't big enough
              I hate to say this to you Phil but its NOT the size of the pictures thats the problem its your eyes . They go with OLD age

Paul
              DUNNO'S BACK ..........He never really went away!

Comment

Originally posted by Dunno
                I hate to say this to you Phil but its NOT the size of the pictures thats the problem its your eyes . They go with OLD age

Paul
                I have, I must admit, resorted to assistance with close up vision. I was making an oblique reference to the artwork on LPs.
                Anyway this is Jims thread and we are in danger of hijacking it.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

CDs and MP3 are OK, but the dynamic range of vinyl recordings is far better. D:
                  technically the dynamic range of cd is much better than vinyl - the problem you are hearing is caused by the current fad of assuming that a cd sounds better if you compress the crap out of the signal (ie, reduce the dynamics) so that the entire track can be recorded at a higher level. This is a totally stupid way for cd's to be pressed. If you were to buy a properly mastered cd, you would find a far cleaner, more dynamic sound than you would ever get from vinyl.

And as for mp3 - they're just !!!!, and should be avoided at all costs.
                  adam

"silly keeps you sane"

Comment

Originally posted by lightningad
                    And as for mp3 - they're just !!!!, and should be avoided at all costs.
                    Agreed- the 'compression' is achieved mainly by removing the stuff you 'don't hear'. Anyone with reasonable hearing an a decent HiFi will notice the difference even on less compressed MP3's! And, as you rightly say, recording quality varies tremendously too. I have some CD's on the Hyperion label which are so crisp and clear they are in a different league to most of the rubbish out there. They obviously have the services of a very good Sound Recording Engineer.

Nevillef

Comment

oh...didn't realise the forum censors good old anglo-saxon words. Suppose I was getting a bit arsey when i typed !!!!.

bugger..i've done it again.
                      adam

"silly keeps you sane"

Comment

the electronic industry is stopping the manufacture of vhs machines starting 2005

so they will soon be a thing of the past

its cheaper to manufacture a DVD les parts and more profit
                        TAF

All men make mistakes, but married men find out about them sooner.

Comment

VHS Bwah i had a BETAMAX

still got me old reel to reel 8mm projector and camera up the loft too

am i that old!!!!!!
                          Last edited by pops; 15 January 2005, 18:21.
                          Enjoying Life after Cancer
                          Pops

Comment

I still have a Revox RV77 in the loft. Top quality. And I can fix it if it should go wrong. No SMCs in those things.
                            It's only a hobby!

Comment

The real reason is that I just don't have room to set my decks up in the house anymore. I have just over 6000 7" Singles, around 1000 12" singles and over 700 LP's. I am seriously thinking of selling my vinyl and downloading all my music from the 'net, but as soon as I start sorting out the records, I just can't bring myself to part with them.

CDs and MP3 are OK, but the dynamic range of vinyl recordings is far better. The biggest problem with CDs is that the pictures aren't big enough
                              Don't get rid of the vinyl man, you'll regret it. I did! Only kept the real special stuff when I moved house a few years back and the sound difference and warth is amazing on these.

Warwick
                              Live for Today

Comment

Working...
                              X