Driving in France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving in France

Im going on a short trip to france in a few months and Im taking my surf (3LV6). Having never driven on the continent before I am unaware of what you need to do beforehand. Have heard about warning triangles and bulb kits but just wanted to find out if you guys have any tips.
    Johnny

Originally posted by J5C
    Im going on a short trip to france in a few months and Im taking my surf (3LV6). Having never driven on the continent before I am unaware of what you need to do beforehand. Have heard about warning triangles and bulb kits but just wanted to find out if you guys have any tips.

France has strict drink driving laws, only allowing 0.25 milligrams of alcohol per litre of blood - stricter than the UK where the limit is 0.4.
    Seat belts front and rear are obligatory everywhere.
    Speed limits, shown below, are implemented rigorously. Radar traps are frequent. In France, anyone caught travelling at more than 25km/h above the speed limit can have their licence confiscated on the spot.
    Remember - Speeding and other traffic offences are subject to on-the-spot fines.
    Replacement bulb set recommended.

A full UK driving licence is required. As in the UK, seat belts should be worn front and rear. Below are motoring regulations relating to France.

Take care in built-up areas where the old rule giving priority to traffic coming from the right (Priorité ŕ droite) still applies unless a yellow triangle indicates you have priority. On roundabouts you generally give priority to traffic already on the roundabout, in other words, coming from your left as you enter the roundabout.

Speed Limits Motorway Open Road Dual Carriageway Town
    France 130 km/h (110 when wet) 90 km/h (80 when wet) 110 (100 when wet) 50 km/h 0.05
    vehicles towing trailers with combination gross weight over 3.5t 110 km/h 50 km/h 100 km/h 50 km/h
    Visiting motorists holding a licence for less than 2 years 110 km/h 80 km/h 100 km/h 50 km/h

Children in cars:
    children under 10 are not allowed in the front. In the rear they must use a proper restraint system appropriate to their weight, which means a child seat if they weigh between 9 and 15 kg. Over this weight they can use seat belts with a booster cushion.

Documentation: always carry your driving licence, vehicle registration document (V5), and certificate of motor insurance. If your licence does not incorporate a photograph ensure you carry your passport to validate the licence. If the vehicle is not registered in your name, carry a letter from the registered owner giving you permission to drive.

Drinking and driving: Don't do it. Over 0.05 per cent and you could face anything up to imprisonment.

Fines: On the spot fines are issued. Ensure an official receipt is issued by the officer collecting the fine.

First-aid kit is advised, but not compulsory.

Fuel: All grades of unleaded petrol, diesel and LPG are available as well as lead substitute additive. Leaded no longer exists. It is allowed to carry petrol in a can. Credit and debit cards are widely accepted, although they probably won't work at automatic pumps, which are often the only pumps in rural areas open out-of-hours, which also means lunch-time form noon to 3pm. It's a good idea to let your card issuer know you will be travelling abroad. This ensures they don't suspend your card if they spot it being used in unfamiliar places, which they sometimes do as an anti-fraud measure.
    GB sticker: UK registered vehicles displaying Euro-plates (circle of 12 stars above the national identifier on blue background) no longer need a GB sticker when driving in European Union countries.

Headlamp converters are compulsory.

Lights: dipped headlights must be used in poor daytime visibility. Motorcycles over 125cc must use dipped headlights during the day at all times.

Minimum age for driving, provided you hold a full UK licence, is 18 for a car and a motorcycle over 125cc and 15 for a motorcycle under 125cc.

Motorcycle drivers and passengers must wear crash helmets.

Motor insurance: third-party insurance is compulsory. A green card is not required but your insurer should be advised of your trip.

Road signs in France.

Seat belts are compulsory for front and rear seat occupants, if fitted.

Visibility Vests are now compulsory in Italy and Spain (and likely to become compulsory throughout the EU) if you need to walk on a motorway. You don't have to carry one, but if you breakdown on the motorway you will be breaking the law if you walk to an emergency phone without one. A suitable high visibility vest is supplied by Advanced Safety Products and conforms to BS EN471:1994 Class 2.

Warning triangle is highly recommended, although hazard flashers can be used. One or the other is compulsory.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

you gotta watch the toll booths on the motorway too... they can calculate your average speed between them and give a fine
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Also if you are driving anywhere near Paris, the locals may well obey the letter of the law, howevr just like London it's survival of the fittest, driving on the wrong side of the car for France doesn't make it any easier.

So remember.

1. KNOW where you are going - he who hesitates is shunted into the nearest crash barrier.

2. Don't try to keep up with any taxi drivers - your Surf will explode - they are even faster than White van man on the M25

3. Indicate early - may not make much difference as people will still cut you up at the last minute however you have at least done your bit to try and cut down the Chaos.

4. Get in the right lane as early as possible. like the US there are some roads which have the far right hand lane exit at a junction and reappear the other side. Hitting bridges can be painful.

And Finally......

Don't get too stressed by it all you will get used to it and follow the local rules pretty quickly except in Paris where the only rules that exist are ones that they make up on the spot.

Cheers and have fun.

Comment

Well, koi, what can I say

Are rear lap belts legal, and where do I get headlamp converters?
          Johnny

Comment

Originally posted by J5C

Are rear lap belts legal, and where do I get headlamp converters?

Not sure on rear lap belts, headlamp convertors try Halfrauds etc.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

Originally posted by J5C
              I'd say he's a 'cut and paste' merchant!

Sorry Boss, its been a slow day................

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                I'd say he's a 'cut and paste' merchant!

Sorry Boss, its been a slow day................

is there any other way

My 4x4
                My choice
                Back off

Comment

all the above but most of all
                  THEY DRIVE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD. AND ROUNDABOUTS WELL its great fun but keep your wits about you mate
                  Enjoying Life after Cancer
                  Pops

Comment

Something missing

Ok,

I notice nobody has mentioned the obvious advantage of the surf in Frogland - a HUGE capacity for the cheap plonk hic hic

There is a nasty rumour that I may be speaking from experience

Trev
                    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Yes your beast can carry a ton of beer....
                      but be carefull how you distibute the load dont take anybody in the back seats you`ll need that area for the beer

Of course its for personel consumption occifer
                      Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

If theres any 2Cv's still out there watch out!.....last time we went to France as a family [I was knee high to a grasshopper] and the picture of a 2CV going round a roundabout on two wheels still comes to mind!

Oh, and a car coming straight for us when my father forgot to drive on the other side of the road when we came out of the campsite
                        Gaz

Comment

Driving in France

Everything Nigel and Julie said plus:

Form E111: This form is available on the back of a leaflet called Health Advice for Travelers (Ref T5), which can be obtained from any main post office. It must be produced in E.U. countries if you are taken ill and wish to claim treatment via reciprocal health agreements. The form must be stamped at a main post office to be valid but lasts indefinitely. Always take a couple of photocopies because one will be retained if you have treatment and you may need treatment again.

Accident Document: Obtainable from your insurance company or broker and must be completed in the event of an accident.

Silversurfer
                          Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Re-driving in France

Where are you going?

If you are going on the Toll Motorways you can pay by credit/debit card if you don't have Euros to hand.

Adjust your mirrors to assist with overtaking and move back over ASAP as someone will want to pass usually at 200kph.

Watch out for some road junctions where you have to give way to vehicles approaching from the left as they have some funny ideas who has right of way. Look what others are doing if poss.

Are you towing?

If you are a new law has been passed that you should have your lights on dipped whilst towing.

As said before watch out for speed cameras as they are springing up on the Toll roads. Also the cops set up camp in built up areas cameras and guns in hand.

Take care have fun and above all bring us back some beer.

Steve

Comment

"France has strict drink driving laws, only allowing 0.25 milligrams of alcohol per litre of blood - stricter than the UK where the limit is 0.4."

It's changed a bit since I last drove there in '85. A skinful was almost obligatory. There was no equivalent to the MOT test, cars could be held together with string and apart from speeding, the only thing anyone I knew got done for was having a dirty car! The Gendarmes even used to turn a blind eye to kids three up on mopeds. Maybe it was just St Tropez.

It's been said before. Don't forget to drive on the right. I was there four months before I forgot for the first time. Once was enough.

A bit of cultutral driving advice. Be careful when yawning and stretching with the window open, that you don't perform a sort-of ANC salute. This is considered very rude in France and almost equivalent to the V sign. My ex Mrs did it and nearly got dragged out of the car by another woman. By golly the other woman was gorgeous and even sounded sexy while ranting.

Bon voyage. Je voudrez un boit au vin.
                              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                              X