Driving in France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are you going?
    Just to the normandy region, me and three others in the wagon. With all the stuff the girls will bring I doubt there will be room for beer....

Got my filter kit from milners, going to do a service this weekend to keep her running. dont want to be breaking down in france! that reminds me, i need breakdown cover......
    Johnny

Comment

Re-France

The ladies will like the shopping in Rouen some classy shops.
      you will fit in the underground carparks, just.

Didn't find the tolls too dear on the motorways but if you are not in a hurry the main roads are very good.

As with here the cheapest fuel can be bought at the large supermarkets such as Champion or Carrefour. You cant use the French only credit card pumps though.

Have fun

Steve

Comment

Normandy

Are you doing the Invasion Beaches ? - I know the area well if you want any directions
        Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

I did the normandy beaches last year with a load of old boys from the DCLI. We did Pegasus Bridge and some of the little vilages that the DCLI liberated. Seeing the 80 year old guys going back for the first time since they were being shot at was emotional. Some great stories, big respect tho them.The young generation of today could learn a few things from them.
          I met "Prince" Edward at hill 112, its true, he is a ponce.
          Johnny

Comment

Having lived in Paris (where I used to ride around in an ex MOD UK registered LHD lightweight Landrover with Belgian plates - confusing or what?!) and still going over there quite alot, the only things I would add are:

Turning left or right into a sideroad is when you need your wits about you as I guarantee the first time you do it, you will forget which side you should be on.

Also - look out for triangular signs with a X on it - this denotes that the road to the right has right of way.

If driving in Paris and you end up on the Champs Elysees - biggest wins and any accident is automatic 50/50 split for responsibility by law, no matter who was to blame.

When I worked in Brussels I used to drive to the eurostar in Ashford in my RHD UK car, arrive in Brussels and pick up my LHD Euro company car and have to drive to the client site. I never knew what side of the bloomin' road or car I should be on!!!
            Real trucks don't have spark plugs

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop
              Having lived in Paris (where I used to ride around in an ex MOD UK registered LHD lightweight Landrover with Belgian plates - confusing or what?!) and still going over there quite alot, the only things I would add are:

Turning left or right into a sideroad is when you need your wits about you as I guarantee the first time you do it, you will forget which side you should be on.

Also - look out for triangular signs with a X on it - this denotes that the road to the right has right of way.

If driving in Paris and you end up on the Champs Elysees - biggest wins and any accident is automatic 50/50 split for responsibility by law, no matter who was to blame.

When I worked in Brussels I used to drive to the eurostar in Ashford in my RHD UK car, arrive in Brussels and pick up my LHD Euro company car and have to drive to the client site. I never knew what side of the bloomin' road or car I should be on!!!
              Also in Paris, French Cars win automatically, I drove there in a Renault Espace once, amazing how much better you were treated than driving there in a Mondeo.

Also the Peripherique is a complete and utter nightmare, traffic levels are up to M25 levels at rush hours and everyone drives like white van man even if they are driving a little Renault Clio.

But boy is it fun once you lose the fear

Comment

And never park your pride and joy on the street or it will look like Eddie Murphys blue thing in Beverly Hills Cop in under an hour - or at least get a massive body lift first if you're gonna!

Comment

is the diesel still dirt cheap over there?
                  it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                    is the diesel still dirt cheap over there?
                    certainly cheaper then here, I always fill up if I'm over there. Oh and I buy washing detergent cos it's miles cheaper over there.

EDIT: - I can't believe I just wrote that, Snoop the scrubber.

Comment

first time i went over i filled up before i got on the ferry(cant be too careful... as my dad says) 80pence a litre here, 50p in france... gutted...
                      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

To dispel a few myths....

France is a very big country. It is vast. This means that there are not many police about and those that are will be found either on the main routes or on the outskirts of towns.

There is no such thing as an unmarked police car in France.

Gatso's are preceeded by an absolutely huge sign that indicates where it is. If you can clobbered by one then its your own fault. They are very few and far between and only found in 'real' accident spots. I have only ever seen one on the outskirts of Nantes and I have been all over the place over there.

As for 'compulsory' items:
                        I have never fitted headlamp deflectors to a car or motorcycle when over there.
                        I do not carry a first aid kit.
                        I do not carry a warning triangle.
                        I do not carry spare bulbs.
                        I rarely keep to a speed limit, and neither does anyone else.
                        I do not have a GB sticker on my vehicles.
                        It takes a while to adjust to the draconian police presence in this country. In France the police serve the public, they do not persecute them.
                        Drink driving is a national past time, but do not take the risk. The worst time is after lunch on a Sunday. The French families get drunk at lunchtime and then drive home. The police carry out most of their spot checks at this time.

Getting caught?
                        Well its an on the spot fine and they will take you to a cash machine or accept credit cards.
                        They are very lenient and will only stop a complete fool.
                        The favourite police spots are the fast roads on the way back to the ports from around 20 miles out.

Road Rules:
                        Fastest guy gets right of way.
                        Motorcycles have absolute right of way everywhere. If you spot one behind you pull over to the right to let it pass. The French do 100% of the time and it is catching on in the UK too thank goodness.
                        French motorcyclists will stick their foot out to say 'Thank you' as it is safer than taking their hands off the handlebars. They are not trying to kick your car in anger.
                        When overtaking it is the law to indicate before you pull out and keep your indicator going until you pass the vehicle that you are overtaking, it is also the law to immediately indicate indicate that you are pulling back in to the right afterwards.
                        All traffic in France assumes that you are watching the road and other road users 100% of the time. They do not drive around in a daze making phone calls and playing with the stereo. Vehicles will not slow down as they barrel down upon you in the outside lane, they will assume that you have seen them and they will expect you to get out of their way.
                        They will often overtake several cars in a queue and then slot themselves back into the traffic without warning. Watch your mirrors and watch that 3ft gap in front of you filled by a car 6ft long at 90mph.
                        All HGV's except refrigerated units are supposedly banned from the roads on Sundays.

Road Signs:
                        Toutes Directions - If you get lost in a town then follow these signs. They are ring roads and will take you right around a place until you see the sign for the town that you want.
                        Autres Directions - Same as above.
                        Roundabouts - A recent development in France. Watch out. They have no idea of which lane they should be in and will happily drive all of the way round in the outside lane...just as you are about to exit to the right from the inside lane. Not everyone gives way either!!
                        Some side roads have right of way over the main road. Priorite a Droit. This means that a vehicle will have right of way from the side turning and will not hesitate or slow down as they join the main road. They don't need to as they have right of way. You always know where these roads are as they don't have 'Give Way' signs or dotted lines across the end of 'their' road. There are also yellow signs to tell you that from the sign until the 'cancelling' sign, all side roads are Priorite a Droit. Like I said, you can't day dream and drive in France at the same time.

Fuel:
                        If you are driving on a Sunday then fill up on the Saturday. Everything closes on a Sunday except near large towns.
                        French petrol pumps have credit card systems. They do not take UK credit cards, or cash. If you get stuck wait for a French driver to pull in and offer him Euros to put fuel in your vehicle. They will usually oblige.

Hope this all helps someone!!

Cheers

Rob G
                        www.hitenter.co.uk
                        Where you will find a new free forum dedicated to all things French!

Comment

Working...
                        X