yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think I've had a visit from the Head Fairy !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think I've had a visit from the Head Fairy !!!!

Think I've had a visit from the Head Fairy !!!
    Motor running perfect, No water loss or other signs although it did overheat approx 6 months \ 5000k ago so I drained system replaced antifreeze,thermostat and filler cap and had no further problems. Went on a round trip of approx 200k although this is not unusual and when I parked it up on drive I could smell antifreeze !!! While it was ticking over at min revs the heater set at full hot was blowing stone cold and the expansion bottle was overflowing also there was a lot of STEAM coming from the Exhaust ! Stropped Engine let it cool down refilled system double checked for air locks and exactly the same !! Also noticed when the coolant has been forced out of Expansion bottle and there is no coolant in the top of the system around thermostat and top hose where the sensor is fitted to the thermo housing for the temp gauge the Temp gauge never shows above half way on the Gauge so if theres NO coolant passing over the sensor in the thermo housing this would account for it NOT showing High on the Gauge Although it didn't drop either.
    Seems that this is not a very accurate way to measure the coolant temp.
    Now has it overheated and cracked the Head or did the Head crack FIRST and cause it to overheat ? ( What came first chicken or the Egg )
    If it overheated first I had absolutely no warning from the gauge !

I am presuming the head has cracked it may just be the Head gasket but I am taking it to Steve at Engine Co in Stockport Today and will be having a brand new Head fitted anyway seems little point in delaying the inevitable !!!
    Attached Files
    I'd Rather Have A 4" Lift Than A 4" Extension !!!

ANDY same symptons mine had. Many others will agree that your head is likely to have cracked. STEVE will do a good job as you know. I saw your truck at steves this morning & she is still smiling mate
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Sorry to hear the head fairy has graced you with her presence Andy.

Just out of interest, how long has your surf been in the country before the fairy visitation ?

Andy.

Comment

Think she may have been down here as well.

had no probs but have done the flush new stat etc and was runnning well until yesterday. As soon as I stop the gauge goes straight to the red leccy fan is working and got hot air from heater.

Once i start moving temp drops back to normal. I don't have any water loss from the expansion bottle but it is gurgling and smells hot as I might expect.

I have got rather large white clouds of what I thought was smoke from the exhaust but now rather more of the opinion its steam.

Wifes just got back says temp gauge is all over the place!!

What do you rekon?

Did i see some where Steve selling heads?

Know what I might be getting for Christmas.

Done a bit of searching now, looks like the viscous fan going to try Koi's newspaper trick.

Steve
        Last edited by Esamed; 27 November 2004, 19:18.
        Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

Hi Markey, Yeah the truck might be smiling but I'm not !!! and I defiantly wont be Smiling when I have to hand the plastic over to pay for it !!!! but the world still turns so it can't be all bad. Hope yours is going ok now. Kids will just have to do without Christmas presents!!! (just as well I have already got them !!)

Hi Bob, I am the first owner in this Country and I've had it approx 18 months and done approx 15000 k in it. whats a bit worrying is that there appears to be no warning as I said what comes first the cracked head or the overheating ? The temp gauge never went into the red and that is defiantly working because I tested it ( put the sensor in boiling water) perhaps it would be a better indication if there was a pressure gauge in the cooling system as well as the temp gauge and an abnormal rise in pressure would show a problem developing just a thought. The very first thing I noticed was the heater blowing cold and steam from the exhaust when stationary and it had been ticking over for approx 10 min parked on the services I then checked the water and most of it had gone into and then out of the expansion bottle and onto the road but although hot I don't think it was actually boiling. It seemed to me to be more pressure that was forcing it out.

Comment

Hi Steve, Don't give up hope you might be very lucky a just have an air lock. the most likely place would be at the heater matrix try removing the hose after the matrix and make sure coolant is flowing there, also have you replaced the filler cap on the thermo housing the first time mine overheated approx 6 months and 5000 k ago mine had the same symptoms except for the steam that might just be condensation because of the cold damp weather with yours at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Driver
              Hi Steve, Don't give up hope you might be very lucky a just have an air lock. the most likely place would be at the heater matrix try removing the hose after the matrix and make sure coolant is flowing there, also have you replaced the filler cap on the thermo housing the first time mine overheated approx 6 months and 5000 k ago mine had the same symptoms except for the steam that might just be condensation because of the cold damp weather with yours at the moment.

Just had a play.

Good news, shredded newspaper so fans ok. Bad news still none the wiser.
              Well I say that, had a look at the heater hoses assuming these are the two coming from the bulk head above rocker cover one goes thru some gadget. both are kin hot so water must be passing thru the matrix.

However checked the rad hoses bottom one is red hot if I squeeze it I can hear it moving the water about. If i squeeze the top one its hot but not as hot as the lower one and I it feels empty and I can't hear any water movements (not from car anyway).

So you could be right an air lock or the stat which was only fitted a couple of weeks ago could be faulty.

As to the cap this wasn't replaced, if this had failed surely cooloant would be leaking from it under pressure? or not?

Going to wait til morning when its cold and have another look.

Steve
              Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

Working...
              X