Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another roof bar question

Hi,
    Ive got a MkIII Surf with rails running down the car.
    I have been looking for a set of bars to go across the roof.
    There are these on E-Bay, but I dont know if they are the type that fit into my rails or clip onto the door frames.
    Dose anyone have any advise?

Cheers, Jon.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=2478075891

Originally posted by jonnyhicks
    Hi,
    Ive got a MkIII Surf with rails running down the car.
    I have been looking for a set of bars to go across the roof.
    There are these on E-Bay, but I dont know if they are the type that fit into my rails or clip onto the door frames.
    Dose anyone have any advise?

Cheers, Jon.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=2478075891

They look like they fit the door frames to me
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

They look similar to my Thule bars and foot pack for my 2nd Gen which fit across the front of the roof, although they are probably not Thule as the foot pack for the Surf is a Rapid Fit pack 750 which fits inside the bar whereas those in the picture fit outside.

A full set across in Thule will set you back about £105; £20 bars, 750 foot pack about £60 and £25 for the 1085 fitting kit.

As you have roof rails, you can probably get a new Thule set for less than the offer price as the foot pack to clip to the roof rails is cheaper and less vehicle specific.

Mike G (no roof rails!!! )
      Mike G

Comment

These are pics of the original Toyota bars.

Comment

You will need to make your own or modify some to suit if you want bars running the same way as the rails.

This is what I did

http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...ead.php?t=5480

Comment

I got over this problem by going to Halfords and looking at their different Thule kits. I did'nt want a system that went under the lip of the roof and then clamped on.
            Instead I bought kit for another vehicle (sorry I cant remember) and found that the plate which slides in the track and attaches to the uprights was too narrow by about 5mm. ( the plate needs to be as wide as the inner width of the track). New plates were made,holes were drilled in them and hey presto, they look great and they are as solid as a rock!

I will try to attach some photos ( sorry, took them when it was quite dark ).

Is this what you are after?

Cheryl
            xx
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by beach surfer
              I got over this problem by going to Halfords and looking at their different Thule kits. I did'nt want a system that went under the lip of the roof and then clamped on.
              Instead I bought kit for another vehicle (sorry I cant remember) and found that the plate which slides in the track and attaches to the uprights was too narrow by about 5mm. ( the plate needs to be as wide as the inner width of the track). New plates were made,holes were drilled in them and hey presto, they look great and they are as solid as a rock!

I will try to attach some photos ( sorry, took them when it was quite dark ).

Is this what you are after?

Cheryl
              xx
              I need ladders on the roof on an almost perminant basis, and found the same as you, the kit works fine for the bars and the upper fitments.
              To lock the end pieces into the roof rails I went to a local stockist of 'UNISTRUT' (found via a search on line) and bought - 8, 4mm tapped channel nuts for the 2000 series track and they fit the roof rails perfectly and only cost aprox 20p each.

Found the thule part numbers and the pdf file from thule themselves:-
              http://www.thule.com/PabloImages/Document/68/1668.pdf

Fish
              Last edited by Fish; 15 May 2004, 22:35.
              If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

Working...
              X