Coolant gushing out of radiator filler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant gushing out of radiator filler

After some slight overheating problems I replaced my radiator cap to see if that would help. Unfortunately I did this before a 2 hour drive where I found out the new cap didn't fit properly and I lost a lot of coolant and the engine was getting hot. I topped it up then drove back and fitted the old cap - nicer better seal.
    Now I want to burp the system and coolant flies out without the cap on and a continuous stream of bubbles through the overflow with the rad cap on.
    Are these exhaust fumes or could air be sucked into the system?
    I have bought a sniff test for the head but I can't use it with this problem - which only happened after these two journeys where it got hot and lost coolant.
    Any ideas?

It's more than likely the head that has cracked. They don't like getting hot at all.

Comment

This is what I'm thinking. It's tricky finding a guide to doing it

Comment

If you mean a guide to changing the cylinder head, it's not really difficult. Click on my name and search my threads, I did it and posted the details on here a couple years ago. I removed the engine to do it, but it can be done with the engine in situ

Comment

So I managed to get rid of the airlock so I could do a sniff test and the head is gone. I ordered some "Steel Seal" so I could still drive while I save for a new head. Is this a bad idea? Will it prevent me from doing a proper fix?
          Thanks in advance
          Last edited by Mr Malleenos; 19 January 2017, 11:57.

Comment

Yes very bad idea!

Don't use it, it will gunk up your whole system.

Wait for the proper fix.
            Last edited by tashtego; 19 January 2017, 17:06.

Comment

If you mean a guide to changing the cylinder head, it's not really difficult. Click on my name and search my threads, I did it and posted the details on here a couple years ago. I removed the engine to do it, but it can be done with the engine in situ

Having trouble finding your write-up mate.
              I guess I'll just get stuck in!

Comment

Here you go, this should be the one you need, hopefully it'll help.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=79797

Comment

Working...
                X