Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeler - after a Gen3 3.0TD or 2.7 petrol

Hi all,

You probably know me as the guy who keeps pleading for technical help, so first off let me explain myself - yep, we've got a 2.4TD Gen2 a.t.m, but unfortunately it seems to be spending more time in my garage with its bonnet open than on the road. After its latest episode (overheating on a French motorway AGAIN), I'm weighing up my options.

My mum needs a reliable truck, and she loves her Hilux, so I'd want to get another (I'm blown away by its off-road capabilities), and maybe take the opportunity to get a Gen3 and address some of the shortcomings of the Gen2. I'm looking to keep ours (the 'Black Beast') as a project car - I'm thinking it wants the engine taking out and being stripped down and rebuilt, and perhaps I can add my own mods at the same time. Obviously this is going to take a *lot* of time, so my mum needs a replacement truck. Hence doing some research.

Now, our budget's quite limited, but I'm going for the 'beggars can't be choosers' approach. I'm not looking for anything fancy - definitely nothing modified. We might have about £2,000-ish (half of which I'm gonna offer my mum for hers), and I don't get paid until the end of the month, so this won't be immediate. I'm looking at what's available, and the Gen3s I've seen are out of our price range.

Here's what I'm looking for, obviously tell me if I'm after too much at this price bracket.

-3.0 Turbodiesel - MUST have a good engine, not leaking anything, first-time starter, etc.
    -Edit: having seen Bushwhacker's posts below, I'm tentatively fielding a 2.7 petrol, with the same restrictions
    -Automatic
    -Good drivetrain, tyres optional (provided the Gen2 wheels fit on a Gen3!)
    -Towbar and primary electrics
    -Interior clean enough to be used as a daily driver
    -All standard Gen3 toys (at least, I assume these are standard!) present and working - ABS, airbags, centre diff (definitely after a tarmac-able 4x4)
    -Cosmetics - beggars can't be choosers, but nothing obviously a *wreck*
    -Not bothered about mileage as long as it's been looked after - ours has 200k on the clock and is still mechanically sound, so I'm not too worried
    -Would like a rear tyre carrier, but again, beggars

Again, I can't promise anything, this is just a feeler. I've made the suggestion to my mum and she's promised to consider it, but she's in France until the end of the month (WITH the dodgy Beast!), adding to which we might not actually have enough money until the end of September. I'm just after something my mum can drive reliably, and not have me biting my nails back home whenever she takes it on a long journey!

Thanks in advance,
    Gargravarr
    Last edited by gargravarr; 13 August 2012, 22:09.
    An unmuddy off-roader is an unloved off-roader!

Why does it have to be a diesel?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      Why does it have to be a diesel?
      Don't tell me the fuel consumption's better on the petrols? O.o

Comment

Well the 2.7 version is slightly better on fuel, produces more power, and petrol is cheaper, I'll let you do the maths.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Well the 2.7 version is slightly better on fuel, produces more power, and petrol is cheaper, I'll let you do the maths.
          Got any rough figures so I can run this through my abacus? We're getting 22mpg on the 2.4TD, but my understanding was that there's minimal difference in mileage between the 2.4 and 3.0 so I was after the more powerful truck.

Although on second thoughts, my mum needs this for towing, and the diesel seems to put out enough torque to tow a small country. I wouldn't be as comfortable using a petrol to the same end.

Comment

My 2.7 tows ok........

Been pulling this around for the past three years.......(not continuously you understand)

Best mpg figure I've had is 34mpg on a run up to Chester and back (All 'A' roads) from Newport. Probably the same as the diesel's consumption around town though.
            I have two 2.7s, I'll never go back to a diesel Surf.

Comment

Shameful that a Hilux should ever be seen on the back of a trailer but I'm seriously intrigued that the petrol gets higher MPG than the diesel. So that's the 3RZ-FE motor?

Okay, I'll go out on a limb and add '2.7 petrol' to my list (and my research). Anyone interested?
              Last edited by gargravarr; 13 August 2012, 23:54. Reason: Meant 'intrigued' instead of 'impressed'

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=75809

Comment

Thanks for the link. I actually buzzed him an email a short while ago, I'll see what he says.

What's maintenance like on the 2.7s? Or a better question, how different is owning and running a petrol Surf to the diesel? You've definitely got my attention now

Comment

I'm just about to get rid of mine.
                    It's a 3rd Gen.

Good Stuff
                    Blue, over silver.
                    Air con, cente diff, side wind deflectors.
                    Solid Chassis.
                    New Front pads.
                    New Front seats (well, second hand, but good condition because the original ones had gone saggy)
                    around 100k miles on the clock. (161k km)
                    Speedo is in Miles
                    New stereo, CD, Aux in.
                    Random Chinese good luck charm in ash tray.
                    Black powdercoated wheels with GG UHPs with loads of life.

Bad Bits.
                    Some bodywork dents (covered in anti rust paint and stickered over)
                    But generally in good condition.
                    Underbody spare wheel.
                    No tow bar.

Very Bad Bit.
                    The Torque convertor is on it's way out.
                    It's making quite a rumbling noise at certain rev/gear combinations.
                    Everything else in the drive train is solid - and if you don't mind the noise it drives perfectly.

I've had a solid offer on a trade in.
                    But if you can do me £2k for it then you can have it.
                    Needs to be sold by the end of the week (although can store it for a while - just need to trade in if not sold)

I'm in the midlands. Just south of Coventry.

Comment

Originally posted by Mork View Post
                      I'm just about to get rid of mine.
                      It's a 3rd Gen.

Good Stuff
                      Blue, over silver.
                      Air con, cente diff, side wind deflectors.
                      Solid Chassis.
                      New Front pads.
                      New Front seats (well, second hand, but good condition because the original ones had gone saggy)
                      around 100k miles on the clock. (161k km)
                      Speedo is in Miles
                      New stereo, CD, Aux in.
                      Random Chinese good luck charm in ash tray.
                      Black powdercoated wheels with GG UHPs with loads of life.

Bad Bits.
                      Some bodywork dents (covered in anti rust paint and stickered over)
                      But generally in good condition.
                      Underbody spare wheel.
                      No tow bar.

Very Bad Bit.
                      The Torque convertor is on it's way out.
                      It's making quite a rumbling noise at certain rev/gear combinations.
                      Everything else in the drive train is solid - and if you don't mind the noise it drives perfectly.

I've had a solid offer on a trade in.
                      But if you can do me £2k for it then you can have it.
                      Needs to be sold by the end of the week (although can store it for a while - just need to trade in if not sold)

I'm in the midlands. Just south of Coventry.
                      Hi Mork,

Thanks for the offer, but the torque converter issue put me off immediately. Having had powertrain problems already, sorry to say, but there's no way I'd be comfortable knowing such a vital transmission component would require imminent attention when I'm after a reliable car.

Also, as I detailed in the OP, we don't have money right now and would be looking for one in at least a month, so thanks, but we'll definitely pass.

Good luck with your trade-in
                      Gargravarr

Comment

Originally posted by gargravarr View Post
                        Also, as I detailed in the OP, we don't have money right now and would be looking for one in at least a month, so thanks, but we'll definitely pass.

Good luck with your trade-in
                        Gargravarr
                        It's clearly late and I didn't read your Original post properly.
                        Good luck with the search.

Comment

Working...
                        X