yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This'll go down like a sh*t sarnie...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This'll go down like a sh*t sarnie...........

Hi,

OK, i've made no secret that I am on the lookout for a decent, capable 4x4. I thought I wanted a KZJ70 but strong prices have put me off them. Then I came across the Surfs - understated when compared to it's bigger brother the Land Cruiser and more than capable. Problem is, is that I have never really been totally smitten by the Surf like I have the KZJ70

I then stumble across the Mitsubishi Pajero - Which has all the talents of the KZJ70 plus it comes with an intercooler on the later 2.8 models, not forgetting decent suspension, and at literally half the price that you would pay for a similar spec/year KZJ70. Now I got thinking that the reason why I like both cars was because they were SWB models. Wrong! I like the 78 series Land cruiser Prado which effectively is the LWB brother of the 70 series - in fact it is the spitting image of each other but ..erm..longer.

The reason for me wanting to go SWB was so that I could also drag along an off-road expedition trailer with a roof tent on top. But then I got thinking about forgetting about the trailer (I had my eye on one but the seller jerked me around - he was also going to sell a matching KZJ70 also:-)), and get a LWB truck that I could either sleep in on expeditions - get a roof rack Paris/Dakar stylie for all me kit or use as a roof tent support. Which is where the Surf comes back in. I have a viewing on a Surf coming up next weekend and Im just hoping it's going to be love at first site as currently at the moment my head is being turned by other makes/models. IS there anyone out there that has any words of wisdom for me?

Bender

Mitsi's have the same suspension as a 2nd Gen Surf, except the torsion bars are on the lower wishb ones, instead of the top ones, so they are lower.

I've worked on lots, they are plusher inside than a Surf, but far less nice to drive and harsh on the road and gutless.

Without fail everyone I've worked on was leaking badly from nearly every seal underneath, diffs, gearboxes, cranks...

Not overly impressed TBH.

Save your money and get a 'Cruiser, everything else will be a disappointment after you've tried one.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post

Save your money and get a 'Cruiser, everything else will be a disappointment after you've tried one.
      Thanks Tony. Incidentally, how much would it cost to bring a standard Surf up to expedition spec - 2" raise, proper tires and perhaps a winch and any wizardry needing doing to the engine/trans etc?

Comment

TBH, a good 3.0 3rd Gen makes a great expedition vehicle, its not as big or heavy as a LC, but plenty of room inside, comfy and of course AWD.

The hardest part is not getting carried away.

I'd not mess with the motor apart from a good service, mach sure the batteries are up to scratch, fit an ATF cooler, 2" suspension lift and some quailty All Terrain tyres, with 2 spares and a snorkel.

If you're not going alone I wouldn't worry to much about a winch or winch bumper, just some good recovery points front and rear.

If you want to go a little further get some rock sliders you can use a Hi-lift on and an uprated (thicker) radiator.

If the budget is there rear airbags are probably the single most useful thing for being able to load the car up and keep it stable.

Remember you want be covering thousands of miles, you need reliabilty above all else, then you want to be able to drive for hours without getting tired or achey, or having to full up with fuel every couple of hours!

I've prep'ed quite a few trucks for people now who have gone abroad, and all have survived and worked well.

Comment

Well i have to agree with Tony, After driving a 2nd gen for a few month's i had to go and drive a pajero owned strangely enough by another mechanic. It was gutless (2.8 intercooled) it's handling was vacant at best! Comfort was another issue as the seats were worse than my grannies sofa! It was also worse on fuel than my toyota and lastly most of the electrics didn't ###### work!! Apart from that it was it was a mitsubishi..
          I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Are you still looking for a surf Bender?

I'll have a lifted 3 litre diesel 2nd gen on 33 inch tryres for sale soon.

Comment

He got a KZJ70 awhile ago, I've seen it, its nice.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                He got a KZJ70 awhile ago, I've seen it, its nice.

Stop dragging up old threads, it's annoying!

Apparently.

Comment

Working...
                X