Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: 2.4L 2nd gen or cheapish 3rd gen

Hi guys,

I'm on the look out for a 2nd gen 2.4L diesel for around £1500. I'm taking part in a charity 'rally' to Mongolia this summer (a 10 000 mile trip from London via lots of interesting countries and more interesting terrain) and will be auctioning off the car when I get there. (www.fitforpurpose.tk for more info on that!)I'd ideally want to get there in one piece with as few breakdowns as possible!

As this is for charity and we're buying the car and getting there out of pocket, we really can't stretch the budget much unfortunately. I've been told to look for another vehicle, as I'm unlikely to find a working Hilux that will get us there for that price, but this would be the ideal car for us...

Also, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to Hiluxes, but I've noticed that the head needs replacing or repairing after a certain point- what sort of mileage car should I be looking for in order to avoid head problems? I'd rather not get a car with a dodgy head and then pay another grand or so to get it fixed...

I hope I don't sounds like too much of a n00b- please be nice

FFP

I have a 2.4 for sale for £1500 that had a new head on it when we got it.
    The truck has been very reliable in the 3 years we have had it.
    See here http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=43803
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

i know of a 2.4 for sale near me for 1k i got a contact number if needed
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by jotto View Post
        I have a 2.4 for sale for £1500 that had a new head on it when we got it.
        The truck has been very reliable in the 3 years we have had it.
        See here http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=43803
        That does look appealing, it's definitely quite high on our list

Stormforce- do you have any more info on the car? Contact details will be very much appreciated. PM me here or email me at visesh@fitforpurpose.tk. Ta!

Comment

Jotto's one would be worth serious consideration. It's got a new head and has been owned by someone who knows what they're doing, so you're unlikely to find a more reliable 2.4 for the price.

You might also consider getting a petrol one as it'll be easier to find fuel wherever you are and petrol is much cheaper in other countries. Terrible MPG but it'll be a lot cheaper to buy in the first place. I know, I just sold one....

Edit: Just noticed on your site (nice site by the way, enjoying the Mongolian fella) that you have carbon footprint issues. I presume you know that a diesel surf will, depending on temperature, run on up to about 80% vegetable oil with no modifications. Take a load with you and buy it when you see it and you can be greener than Kim Wilde's fingers.
          Last edited by Sancho; 10 April 2008, 10:39.

Comment

I have a 92 J reg 2.4 that I no longer use. It has been parked in my front garden for about 18 months. It had a new head fitted just before I stopped using it. In case you are wondering, I upgraded to a newer 3ltr which is why I stopped driving the 2.4. I have been wondering what to do with it for ages, if I had more space and time I'd break it, but I don't

It needs the following to be a runner again:
            Front passenger side half shaft
            Possibly a new steering idler arm
            2 Batteries

Before the batteries gave up I was starting it up every few weeks, and it would start with no problems. It was a very reliable runner until the head went.

Obviously it has no MOT or TAX, so would need to be taken away on a trailer.

As it's for charity, I'm willing to sell it to you for £100.
            Paul </Slugsie>
            Immortal.so far!

Comment

I think they bought Jotto's

http://www.fitforpurpose.me.uk/04/14/a-car/

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                Fair enough.
                Paul </Slugsie>
                Immortal.so far!

Comment

If anyone is wondering, we bought Jotto's car and made it to Mongolia in one piece! We had no major issues with her at all, and if all goes to plan, she should be auctioned off in a few weeks for around $6000, all of which is going to a charity in Mongolia.

The radiator started struggling a little in Turkey and we needed to get the thermostat replace, and got a few tiny holes soldered in Almaty, Kazakhstan.

We got her serviced (suspension regreased, new ATF, new brakes, AC regassed etc. for €120 including parts and labour!) in Istanbul. We were leaking coolant and hit the red zone with no warning just past Istanbul, and got her towed to the local Toyota garage which was closed as it was a Sunday evening. The manager was called in by the guys on duty, who then called his chief mechanic who diagnosed the problem and got us a spare. All for €100 including the tow!

All in all, Bertha was an amazing car and we miss her a LOT already!

If anyone's interested, here is a map-blog of our journey:
                  http://mongolia.charityrallies.org/e...1510/blogs/map

And some pictures:

At the launch party in London, 5th July

Gettin' a tow in Turkey!

Traversing some of the lovely Kazakh roads!

I'm sure something's missing...

Not a mirage...honestly! Yes, it's a London taxi.

IN a hilux-sized pothole...!

Crossing one of many rivers...

Stuck in a sheep shite filled bog in Mongolia, just before getting snatch towed (yes, I know, but we couldn't explain to them how dangerous it was...)

A motorway in Mongolia!

Comment

Glad you made it ok, and well done

Would love to see the pics
                    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Thats a great add for the surf Jon, 2.4 as well. Hope we get all the photo's
                      www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Thats quality, would love to do something like that, how much did it cost you in fuel ?

Comment

Working...
                        X