Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen tailgate and tire carrier - long shot

hello everyone.

this is my first post here and i need some help...

first off, i live in the US, Iowa specifically and a lot of the US 4runner owners are looking for Hilux stuff to put on our trucks since the US versions never seem to get the neat little stuff that the overseas vehicles have.

i'm looking to replace my rear hatch/tailgate with a Hilux Surf and get the tire carrier as well. I'd love to have my spare tire on the back of my tailgate like some of the Surfs do. i realize that there is a reinforcement that ties into the frame for the tire carrier arm to bolt onto and i'd have to fabricate that on my vehicle but i'm up to the challenge.

the big thing i'm having problems with is finding some one that has the parts i need, at a resonable price, and is willing to ship overseas. i've contacted a couple people online, some don't want to bother with shipping, others price their parts way out of my budget and then shipping doubles the price.

here is what i'm thinking. i know the british pound is a little over $2 US and i'm looking to spend around $1000 total, so a little under 500 pounds for these two items. i don't need the window, motor, or hatch struts, but the rest i will need to do the swap. color isn't important since i'll have to paint it to match my 4runner anyway and i work in a paint/body shop so i have that covered.
    my sister works for FedEx that ships worldwide and i'll have to check if i can get shipping through them for the items i need, but other options and pricing would be nice to have as well.

i know this is a long shot but i thought i'd post and see what kind of response i get and hopefully some one out there will be able to help me out. if anyone knows of other companies or individuals breaking 3rd gen surfs i would be grateful if you could forward me their contact info.

thanks in advance for your responses, i appreciate it.

patrick

we see very few 3rd gens breaking here in the uk, so i wouldn't hold your breath. One will turn up eventually but it could be next week it could be next year. I'm sure when one does turn up someone will try and help you out.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

thanks a bunch, i figured this would be a needle in the haystack kind of post but i figured i would get it out there that i was looking and if it turned up or some one knew of one that would help out. i appreciate you guys and girls keeping an eye out for me.

patrick

Comment

Why not get a tube bender and a welder and have a go yourself,,,,,,,,it's an option and more likely half the price!
        http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

As they said, we don't see that many third gens being broken! I gave up waiting in the end and bought a new sunroof from toyota!

While you are at it you could get the rear wing with power reversing mirror :P
          More Lift.
          More Tyres.
          More Engine.

Comment

hey thanks for the link to Dewsbury! looks like they have a blue one and a silver one, but only the blue has the tire carrier. i'll contact them and see what we can work out. i appreciate the help

i know that making my own would be super awesome, but i'd like to have the surf one for ease of installation, pretty much drop in except for mounting the carrier arm but that shouldn't be a big deal. also, i'd have bragging rights here in the states for being closer to Hilux status. i really wish we had the turbo diesels here in the states but with emissions testing and all kinds of other strict rules i think even a transplant is a "no no".

but again, thanks for looking out for these parts for me everyone. i'll talk to the people at Dewsbury and if it works out i'll post here so you all don't have to keep looking.

patrick

Comment

i'll have a search about and post up anymore i find for you
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
              X