Standard wheels wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard wheels wanted

Yo Guys, I'm after a set of standard wheels for a 2nd gen Surf, ie; 215x15 etc etc. I'm running 31x1050x15's at the moment but I need something with a smaller diameter for towing.

Cheers

Derek

Originally posted by Derek T M
    Yo Guys, I'm after a set of standard wheels for a 2nd gen Surf, ie; 215x15 etc etc. I'm running 31x1050x15's at the moment but I need something with a smaller diameter for towing.

Cheers

Derek
    Hi Derek,

I have some with ok tyres if you can organise a surf train from Hampshire. Make me an offer.
    Jez

Comment

Originally posted by Jezware
      Hi Derek,

I have some with ok tyres if you can organise a surf train from Hampshire. Make me an offer.
      Cheers Jez, Can you do me a favour, this may seem really silly, but can you measure the Diameter across the wheel, including the tyre edge to edge for me.? I'm looking for a dia of 28 inches or less. Thanks.

Derek

Comment

Cheers Jez, Can you do me a favour, this may seem really silly, but can you measure the Diameter across the wheel, including the tyre edge to edge for me.? I'm looking for a dia of 28 inches or less. Thanks.

Derek
        Will do tonight. I'll let you know.

Cheers
        Jez

Comment

Originally posted by Jezware
          Will do tonight. I'll let you know.

Cheers

Thanks Jez,....You hav'nt anything a bit shinier have you? , on offence, but I do like shiny!!!!!!!!!!!!

Derek

Comment

Cheers

Derek
            Has it been a big problem towing with 31x10.5x15's, I was thinking of swapping to them but hadn't thought it would make much difference.
            Darren

Comment

Hi Darren, My experience of towing so far is a trailer filled with a ton and quarter of paving slabs and my 2.4 2nd gen Surf really struggled to a point where at one stage of the short journey I had to go into low box
              It could be that I'm expecting too much, but I was surprised at my Surf's poor performance.
              A 215x15 wheel has a diameter of 28 ins, against 30 ins on the 31x10.50x15's.
              Bigger wheel = more effort...........?

Hope my ramblings help

Derek

Comment

Thanks Jez,....You hav'nt anything a bit shinier have you? , on offence, but I do like shiny!!!!!!!!!!!!

Derek
                Hi m8,

Measured the wheels last night, and they come out at 27". I'm afraid they aint that shiney, but i'm sure you could pick up some chrome spray paint n pimp them up a bit.

Cheers
                Jez

Comment

Hi Darren, My experience of towing so far is a trailer filled with a ton and quarter of paving slabs and my 2.4 2nd gen Surf really struggled to a point where at one stage of the short journey I had to go into low box
                  It could be that I'm expecting too much, but I was surprised at my Surf's poor performance.
                  A 215x15 wheel has a diameter of 28 ins, against 30 ins on the 31x10.50x15's.
                  Bigger wheel = more effort...........?

Hope my ramblings help

Derek
                  That is alot weaker than my 2.4, I recently pulled a big ifor williams box trailer about 70 miles and back, the trailer weighed 1250kg and could take another 1250kg, I couldn't weigh the load but the suspension on it was pretty low so I have to guess it was atleast near maximum so 2500Kgs total, I got 60 on the motorway without too much trouble and certainly didn't need low and that was with the back of the surf completely filled up with stuff aswell, although MPG dropped to 16 it handled it fine, Maybe something else is sapping your towing power, surely changing the wheels can't reduce it that much.
                  Has anyone else experienced a big change in power from changing tyre size to 31's ?
                  Darren
                  Last edited by Darren; 11 May 2005, 09:13.

Comment

Blimey!, big trailer or what!!!!!...... must be my Surf then
                    I'll let you know when I get some smaller wheels.

Jez.... let me know what you think pricewise, my opening offer is £50.

Cheers

Derek

Comment

Blimey!, big trailer or what!!!!!...... must be my Surf then
                      I'll let you know when I get some smaller wheels.

Jez.... let me know what you think pricewise, my opening offer is £50.

Cheers

Derek
                      Hi Derek,

£50 sounds OK to me. The wheels are just sat in my horse trailer at the moment, and getting in the way.

Where in leeds are you? I am heading back to Newcastle for the bank holiday weekend, so may be able to drop the wheels off for you if you are close to the M1 (and I can fir them into a Ford KA). If not, I am sure we could arrange a Surf Train. You can PM me or e-mail me at jezware@bluebottle.com if you want.

Cheers
                      Jez

Comment

I keep mine quite well serviced but it's got nothing non standard performance wise, It's not fast when towing (or when not) but I've certainly never considered using low on the roads, TonyN had pictures up on here of their 3.0 surf towing other surfs (and even a tractor) on a big trailer. Obviously the 3.0's have more power but the 2.4 should be pretty capable towing aswell, certainly to the maximum weights considered safe to tow, which as I understand it is 85-100% of the vehicle gross weight (depending on driver experience) I figure I was a bit over that but there was alot of weight in the surf to equal it out a bit and it still felt very stable .
                        I look forward to hearing if it's the wheels slowing you down or whether you find something else.

Darren
                        Last edited by Darren; 11 May 2005, 15:31.

Comment

Working...
                        X