A couple of pics down in Devon on the hols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of pics down in Devon on the hols

Much better now than when i first bought her.
    Stuff done so far include:
    >Bigger bull bar and big spots fitted.
    >Usual service and fan belts replaced, just got to do the cam belt.
    >Hid headlamp bulbs awesome at night.
    >New front bumper as the old one was rusty and horrible.
    >Bonnet guard.
    >After overheating last year, i replaced the thermostat and all the coolant hoses as they start to bulge, and filled with red coolant. Since that i have never had it overheat, even towing over 300 miles on holiday.
    >New inner and outer track rod arms and adjusters on bothsides, and tracked properly.
    >New inner and outer cv boots on front off side driveshaft.
    >Front anti roll bar bushes uprated with polyurathene.
    >Full chassis and underbody wax oiled, hopefully no rust issues to come now.
    >Rear anti roll bar bushes uprated with polyurathene, along with new drop links.
    >New uprated and lifted by 2" rear springs from rough trax.
    >All three rear bumper sections replaced with nice shiney new chrome ones.
    >Rear step fitted behind the tow ball.
    >Inside i have fitter a boost guage and a momo millenium sports steering wheel.
    >Roof bars and basket are just for the holiday, although it does look quite good

Ive spent a lot of money on her recently, however if you like your car that much then you will wont you.

I plan to lift the front end by 2 inches at some point too, probably do the ball joint spacers and drop the diff down with the anti roll bar drop brackets too. Or just wind the front torsion bars up a bit. Next a stainless exhaust and give it a nice little burble, nothing too loud. Finally some new tyres currently have Falken Land Air AT 265/70/15 on the front and Falken Land Air T110 on the rear. Looking at getting some General Grabber AT 31x10.5/15.
    Think thats about it
    Thanks for looking.
    Jason
    Attached Files
    Last edited by imgifted86; 20 August 2012, 12:37.

Very nice looking Surf you have there. Love the alloys, very smart.

Tell me more about your HID kit, I've been considering getting them but unsure after my last outing with Chinese headlights... They melted !!!

Comment

Thanks its taken me a long time to get it this far. I have not had a problem with melting bulbs they have been in for over a year now and they seem fine. maybe you just had a bad one? who knows.
      Here is some instructions incase anyones else is think about them fitting them too.
      Here is one example of a HID conversion kit on fleebay.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-H4-H4-...item1e6bd06f4a
      Must make sure you get a kit with the canbus setting. the difference is without it only one of the cars H4 headlight connectors will be used to power the conversion kit. the canbus kits uses both H4 connectors on the car so any spot lights you have fitted and the blue high beam light on the dash will still work. As i found out when i bought a kit without it, once all fitted my spot lights didnt work and the blue high beam light on the dash didnt come on, i still had high beam working with the hid's in place tho.
      I now have a canbus kit in and everything works again.
      Took me half an hour to do the whole job, its pretty straight forward even with the chinese to english translation which is always crap.
      Simply take both batteries out and unbolt the washer bottle from the drivers side and move it out the way to gain access to the headlight, and do the same with the passenger side. Unbolt the expansion tank and air inlet covers.
      Next take the old bulbs out, and slightly enlarge the rubber gasket hole for the slightly larger HID bulb to fit through. Remove the protective cover from the new HID bulb think it was a couple of tiny screws holding it on and replace in the head lamp like a normal bulb.
      Find a suitable postion on the inner panels for both the relay and the ballast box they will prob need to be bolted in place, but there are plently of bolting places in the inner wings, or failing that M3 double sided tape.
      then its a simple case of connecting the H4 connector to the new bulb, and the rest of the connectors to the ballast box and relay. All the connectors are different shapes and sizes so they will only go in one way.
      Put everything back together again, refit the batteries and only one last step.
      Connect Positive with inline fuse already attached to battery and negative to an earth point.
      And then test them. Go for a drive at night and you will literally see the difference. I also reccoment getting your head light alighnment checked once donw as they will dazzle other drivers if not set correctly.
      Hope this helps.
      Jason
      Last edited by imgifted86; 20 August 2012, 18:58.

Comment

Working...
      X